Defensive Carry banner

261 - 280 of 355 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
YES

UNC annual crime report shows rise in interpersonal violence | abc11.com

When I went back to college a few years back we all had to attend a mandatory safety briefing by the chief of security, he commented how much safer the campus was after they installed the “Blue Boxes”. He said all you had to do was push the button and security would be dispatched, he was not pleased with my comment “That’s cute, now you know just where to go to recover the body”.
We have those blue boxes on my campus, except we have no security. It dispatches the local PD, which is on the other side of town. When I was taking night classes, I noticed no significant increase in police patrols around campus. Sure made me feel safe. :rolleyes:

I have also observed that many of those who don't want youngin's carrying guns on campus haven't been youngin's for quite some time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
is shouldn't be permitted there are a lot of kids who haven't discover themselves yet. having them carry forearm in colleges can be dangerous, some youngster go through hard times at home and they can take it out on someone else.
There is a flip side to that coin. There are a great deal of older adults who have decided to commit violence because they lost their way. They could go through hard times and take it out on someone else. Lost their job, lose a spouse or kid, maybe lose their home. All kinds of situations that could push them over the edge and thus they should not carry a firearm.

Or we could just say at 21 you're an adult and legally allowed to carry a firearm.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I did some volunteer work at a local state university a few years back. They had a cadre of fat sweater vest women working security for the stadium. They were asking people to return folding knives to their cars, peeking in bags, etc. I asked them what they would do if someone pulled a gun from a diaper bag and started shooting. They said there were cops somewhere on campus. I never saw one the whole time I was there. I was wearing two guns at the time, as I usually do, and I told them that CCW's were legal since it was a public school. They didn't think so, and didn't have a shred of self defense equipment, save their sheer size one could hide behind. I think a person with a good CCW is probably the only thing a campus could count on for stopping a lunatic. I would hope if there was a problem at my kids school someone there is armed.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm a little late to the show on this one, but here is my response.

The liberal whiners always talk about the drunken college kids. What about faculty & staff? My wife is a brilliant woman. PhD from Texas A&M, over 50 publications, fully tenured college professor, etc. She is also has her CHL and is a great shot. Why should she be denied her right to defend herself?

·
Registered
1,935 Posts

The liberal whiners always talk about the drunken college kids. What about faculty & staff? My wife is a brilliant woman. PhD from Texas A&M, over 50 publications, fully tenured college professor, etc. She is also has her CHL and is a great shot. Why should she be denied her right to defend herself?
have you ever seen the video of all the drunken college kids assembling on the roof of a garage, and then the roof collapses?
Roof collapses during Cal Poly San Luis Obispo party; 8 injured | abc7.com
it doesn't take a liberal whiner to spot a group of idiots

otherwise, 21 or older, no criminal record dictating otherwise - good to go!

·
Registered
2,646 Posts

Agreed but TX does allow guns on campus.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Of course guns should be allowed to be carried on campus by adults in America. Any place that harbors and encourages the lunatic fringe, particularly at liberal propaganda centers, is extremely dangerous and decent people should always have the unfettered right to defend themselves. Not very long after the riots and violence at UCSB, I wanted to carry my revolver on campus and in Isla Vista. That patchouli crowd is dangerous in high concentrations.

Reactions: rcsoftexas

·
Registered
194 Posts
have you ever seen the video of all the drunken college kids assembling on the roof of a garage, and then the roof collapses?
Roof collapses during Cal Poly San Luis Obispo party; 8 injured | abc7.com
it doesn't take a liberal whiner to spot a group of idiots

otherwise, 21 or older, no criminal record dictating otherwise - good to go!
Agreed. I was directing it more to the generalization by the anti gunners that group everyone on campus is a 18 year old drunken frat boy.

·
Registered
225 Posts
YES

UNC annual crime report shows rise in interpersonal violence | abc11.com

When I went back to college a few years back we all had to attend a mandatory safety briefing by the chief of security, he commented how much safer the campus was after they installed the “Blue Boxes”. He said all you had to do was push the button and security would be dispatched, he was not pleased with my comment “That’s cute, now you know just where to go to recover the body”.
Yeah, Marshall U. has those panic boxes on campus too, they seem pretty lame. I think that St Pete College has them at its Midtown campus, a potentially dangerous neighborhood. And once again, pretty lame.

·
Registered
33,874 Posts
I have mixed feelings on Campus Carry. Drunken Frat boys are not the smartest box of rocks to walk the earth. Self defense is not their priority, partying is.

Reactions: 1911srule

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I have mixed feelings on Campus Carry. Drunken Frat boys are not the smartest box of rocks to walk the earth. Self defense is not their priority, partying is.
..................and this is what their dumb as a box of rocks parents send them to college for. :icon_neutral::35:

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
If my granddaughter could campus carry at 18 I'd buy her first firearm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
So my constitutional rights end at your door? Not true. What you are talking about is apples and oranges. The campus carry issue has to do with LEGALITY. In other words, can I be prosecuted/criminalized for carrying on campus. You have control over your private property in that if you don't like me being there you can ask me to leave. If I don't leave, you can pursue a criminal trespass complaint against me.

A conviction for trespassing is a VERY different thing than a conviction for criminal possession of a firearm. THAT is what we are talking about. My constitutional right to keep and bear arms cannot be abridged by your property rights, but both can be maintained without abridging your property rights either.

I have no problem with property owners being able to ask you to leave their property for any reason they like. If they don't KNOW you are armed, it shouldn't be any of their business. Once they find out, if they ask you to leave, fine. You should NOT, however, be criminalized for having been there with that firearm.

Yes, you can yell "fire" in a crowded theater if you like. It would be stupid, and you would have to face the consequences if you did it (loss of revenue, property damage, injury, public disturbance, etc.), but you have the freedom to do so. Firearms should be the same. Your rights should NEVER be abridged in any circumstance of normal life, but if you do something stupid with it you will have to pay the consequences.

This is a whole problem I am having with an entire generation of Americans. They seem to be obsessed with punishing people or taking away people's rights for SOMETHING THEY MIGHT DO. This is not the kind of freedom on which this country was founded. This is sacrificing freedom for perceived "safety".

IN AMERICA WE DON'T PUNISH PEOPLE OR TAKE AWAY THEIR CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS UNTIL AFTER THEY'VE ACTUALLY COMMITTED A CRIMINAL ACT. NOT BEFORE.
Absolutely! This is my mantra. Every criminal act committed by a person with a firearm has violated a law. Having a firearm is not the crime. Committing the crime is.
For those who want to bring up yelling "fire" in a crowded theater, sure one can yell fire, if there is a fire.

Dave

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Well, as long as they keep the celebratory gun fire at a reasonable level I'm . . . OK, never mind. :embarassed:

:banghead:

·
Registered
7,833 Posts
The thing is, most of those frat boys arent allowed to carry to begin with. Its those of us who are older that are negatively affected. I think I said it earlier in this thread, but Ive considered starting school again in another year or two. Im have no intentions of a career change or anything, and just want to further my education because I can. But I, as the guy who will be there for no other reason than because I want to learn, would be the one prohibited from carrying. If I lived anywhere besides Texas of course.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
The thing is, most of those frat boys arent allowed to carry to begin with. Its those of us who are older that are negatively affected. I think I said it earlier in this thread, but Ive considered starting school again in another year or two. Im have no intentions of a career change or anything, and just want to further my education because I can. But I, as the guy who will be there for no other reason than because I want to learn, would be the one prohibited from carrying. If I lived anywhere besides Texas of course.
I'm a similar situation. I've been going to school for the past three years. I am not, nor ever have been, a "drunken frat boy", no matter how loosely one might apply the definition. Ever since I've started carrying, I have been very careful about putting the pistols away when I drink more than one beer (a single beer is not illegal, but being "under the influence" while in possession of a firearm is).

By the naysayers of this thread, I would be disallowed from carrying on campus on Tuesdays and Wednesdays during my classes. Despite that I have had many hours of training, practice regularly, pass backgrounds checks frequently (gun purchases and career), have my CHP, and the worst thing on my record is driving without insurance because it expired three days earlier and I forgot to renew.

Do those drunken kids exist? Surely. But it's been my experience that the stereotype is not representative of the large majority of even 18-year-olds these days. And certainly not representative of the 21+ years olds.

At least here in Colorado.

·
Registered
7,833 Posts
I'm a similar situation. I've been going to school for the past three years. I am not, nor ever have been, a "drunken frat boy", no matter how loosely one might apply the definition. Ever since I've started carrying, I have been very careful about putting the pistols away when I drink more than one beer (a single beer is not illegal, but being "under the influence" while in possession of a firearm is).

By the naysayers of this thread, I would be disallowed from carrying on campus on Tuesdays and Wednesdays during my classes. Despite that I have had many hours of training, practice regularly, pass backgrounds checks frequently (gun purchases and career), have my CHP, and the worst thing on my record is driving without insurance because it expired three days earlier and I forgot to renew.

Do those drunken kids exist? Surely. But it's been my experience that the stereotype is not representative of the large majority of even 18-year-olds these days. And certainly not representative of the 21+ years olds.

At least here in Colorado.
Yep. When I was in that age group I was on active duty and drank far more than most frat kids could afford or have the tolerance for, and we were around guns all the time at work, and most people owned their own personal guns. It's funny how nobody ever thinks that's an issue. The reason why is because it's not. Something about hearing the word college makes everyone freak out though because people aren't used to guns on campus(legally). It's the same mentality that the anti gunners have. Ban everything because something bad might happen.

Reactions: MAJOkie
261 - 280 of 355 Posts