Defensive Carry banner

341 - 355 of 355 Posts

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Gun free zones only work if they're enforced by trained, armed security with weapons detection (metal detectors and pat downs). This is only preferable to allowing CCWs when

1. The likelihood of an attack or the potential damage of an attack is too high to risk any one having a gun.
2. If the gun free zone in question is given the resources to adequately be enforced.
3. The gun free zone designation doesn't significantly interfere with the processes of the enterprise/institution. Example: Slow security screening process making students or employees late to their jobs.

I can think of two: Government buildings and sporting events.

Gov't buildings. The people in your local courthouse, your state congress, and the White House are there represent American democracy and their political power is vital to our system working. They are too important to put at any risk. Dedicated security force and metal detectors are best here in my opinion.

Sporting events. Super high concentration of people makes arenas very vulnerable to a shooting. However a CCW holder is just as likely to shoot someone they didn't intend to if something happened. And "something" is more likely to happen if people have an easy time getting guns into the venue. Again. Dedicated, trained security force and weapons detection is best.

Everywhere else SHOULD permit guns to be carried. Everywhere else is either less important, less at risk, or cannot fund or adequately employ security. Campuses fit the bill here because they either don't have security or they don't have enough of it. Campuses are pretty big. One CCW student in each classroom is better than one underpaid/trained security guard in each building. My $0.02. Also having TOO much security can become oppressive in certain environments like schools, in which case I say let the students staff and faculty defend themselves and each other.

I took an hour to write this it and went through four drafts. It's an interesting and complex topic.
@brass_max , you're on the right track but missing a few things.

A GFZ can only work when the entire perimeter is secured. Do you know any college that is securely fenced in? Any K-12 school that's really fenced in? Didn't think so. So most every GFZ is a very leaky sieve.

Government buildings and Courthouses as GFZ? Why? In many places, the "courthouse" also has many other administrative offices where people have reason to visit. Why should all city/county affairs be in a GFZ? They are, after all, "The People's Places", like most all federal facilities. I'll grant that the courtrooms themselves as well as adjacent offices and hallways could/should be secured. But it should be the least amount of area feasible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can understand not allowing open carry on campus even in states where it is legal (like my state) as to not alarm people, but I do not see a reason to ban law abiding students from having their gun with them on campus. The sad reality is if someone wants to come in and shoot mass amounts of people they will do so and no gun restriction on campus will stop that. Allowing students to be armed would at least give them a way to fight back in the small chance of an active shooter situation.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts

I can understand not allowing open carry on campus even in states where it is legal (like my state) as to not alarm people, but I do not see a reason to ban law abiding students from having their gun with them on campus. The sad reality is if someone wants to come in and shoot mass amounts of people they will do so and no gun restriction on campus will stop that. Allowing students to be armed would at least give them a way to fight back in the small chance of an active shooter situation.
Well DC, despite the southern climate, it's obvious that After your original post of some months ago, 341 posts later that oc/cc is forever going to be an open battle much like caliber and/or brand of gun there are still plenty of Snowflakes I Texas, especially within the university systems. With an average of 90% of the professors being extremely liberal, what can we expect. I only OC in my house or on my property, but do not care for it in Public. I think SaraG makes a good point. Locally, one of the major grocery stores banned both CC and OC by Texas law. Shortly afterwards, the CC signs were removed. They made the decision to compromise. I think those who carry should be the first in line to do some compromising, cover it and give those who love to freak out a break. I will always support the right to open carry where it is appropriate, but I will always respect the proprietors right to say, no open in my area.

·
Super Moderator
50,574 Posts
Should guns be permitted on a college campus? How about in any school K-12 AND at the college level? Could it work without problems?:confused:
Let's see...:reporter:
Well in Utah, anyone with a CCW permit can carry in any school (including inside the buildings), elementary, high school, or college. Anyone, parent, teacher, admin, or even just a visitor can carry concealed in ALL the schools, and without the permission of anyone. I haven't heard about any blood running in the hallways.:nono:
Mmmm, I guess it could work. Nothing like a good example to answer the question.:yup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
If we are talking about open carry I feel that teachers and students can be intimated at seeing firearms. If you know how to CC properly then there is no difference between a college classroom and the local supermarket because no one will know.

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
If we are talking about open carry I feel that teachers and students can be intimated at seeing firearms. If you know how to CC properly then there is no difference between a college classroom and the local supermarket because no one will know.
Are they more intimidated when in a classroom than if the same people were together at say, the grocery store?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I believe I should be able to carry at school. As a college student in missouri I am not allowed to even have my gun in my truck which requires me to leave it at home... well then what's the point in having it at all right? So I either run the risk of getting some new bracelets or needing it and not having it on my way to or from class. Even if it requires letting the school know that I wish to carry on campus I would do it. My school has about 4 or 5 "security" officers armed with a single glock 19 but I trust my life more with my 10 rounds of critical defense than I every would at the hands of somebody else. Yes they have a numbers advantage on their side for protecting the school but I'm more worried about protecting myself in the face of danger first and the lives around me 2nd.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As a student, I carry on occasion on campus, especially after a major event involving students. I can see why they dislike it, as most students are not even old enough to buy ammo for said firearms. With that said I believe we have a right to carry as we please, campus PD can't be everywhere at once. Simply put.

·
Premium Member
3,939 Posts

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
they should ban murder on campus too! It looks like they realized they can’t blame this on campus carry, but they probably don’t truly understand how stupid it is to think someone would need a concealed carry permit to commit murder.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Colleges are very liberal environments, generally. So naturally it's probably going to lean against guns.

Plus, I'm sure there's some that look at college students as being dramatically less mature and don't want them toting around a firearm because of that. Which there are some students that are very immature, and there are others that aren't, much like every other population.

I do think you should be allowed to carry at college campuses however. Especially when you consider the current events. It's very possible for it to be a target for a killer and has been in the past. Why ignore this?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Should Guns be Permitted on College Campuses?

Yes.

Should've put a simple YES/NO poll on this thread.
Quite agree.

There's something stupid about having to secure my gun in my car's gun safe just to walk across campus for work related items and a meeting.

That holds true for many other places where it's deemed "no guns allowed," etc. Stupid.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Gun-free zone = shooting gallery! Students have the right to protect themselves as adult citizens. I like the woman who finally open carried after graduation. As a guest, she was allowed to protect herself. As a student, she was an open target.

341 - 355 of 355 Posts