Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If money was no problem I'd buy one of each. A SCAR was mentioned in a YouTube video as a SD weapon but they ain't cheap. I have an AR but I'm not too familiar with the AK or shotguns. Some AK's seem to be chambered in 5.56 so that's a plus but I've heard that they can over penetrate. But, a shotgun is considered a good SD weapon since they don't tend to over penetrate. And then what to buy for optics, lights, etc........

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Before all the @#$% hit the fan, I was considering buying a Mossberg 940 JM. Now, with all this going on, I guess I'll wait a bit to see what happens in the world. From what I've seen, that 940 JM looks sweet, it's supposed to have enhanced reliability over the 930 JM. 10 rounds of 12 gauge goodness seems attractive to me.

Have you considered starting an 80% lower project gun?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Before all the @#$% hit the fan, I was considering buying a Mossberg 940 JM. Now, with all this going on, I guess I'll wait a bit to see what happens in the world. From what I've seen, that 940 JM looks sweet, it's supposed to have enhanced reliability over the 930 JM. 10 rounds of 12 gauge goodness seems attractive to me.

Yes...10Rnds of 12GA sounds Excellent!!!!.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mossberg® 930™ Jerry Miculek Pro Series™ Tactical Class Semiautomatic Shotgun $650 @ Cabelas (90 miles from me) - sold out - no listing for the 940

No. I don't have the tools or expertise to finish an 80% lower. It sounds like it would be a fun project though.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Mossberg® 930™ Jerry Miculek Pro Series™ Tactical Class Semiautomatic Shotgun $650 @ Cabelas (90 miles from me) - sold out - no listing for the 940

No. I don't have the tools or expertise to finish an 80% lower. It sounds like it would be a fun project though.
Yeah, the pipeline isn't full with all this stuff going on and I'm not sure when things will get rolling again. But...

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gear-gun-supplies/shotguns/mossberg-940-jm-pro-black-12ga-3in-semi-automatic-shotgun-24in/p/1629083

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I wonder how much it cost 3 months ago.......I suppose that I could have one transferred to one of my local LGS's whenever it's back in stock.
The price hasn't changed, at least not to any significant degree, it was just introduced at the start of the year.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess something like this would be an option to consider: CITADEL RS S1-VEPR 12 SHOTGUN

·
Registered
805 Posts
One of the indispensable tools of the homeowner is a good shotgun, and nothing fills that need more effectively or at less investment than a good pump 12-gauge like the Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 series.

Plenty of barrel selections available, and changing out the barrel is a simple chore requiring only a few minutes. Add screw-in choke tubes and you can have a single firearm to perform many different functions.

With 9 grandchildren and 5 great-grandchildren I have a very difficult time keeping .22 rifles, shotguns, or hunting rifles around. They seem to grow legs every time there is a kid around the house.

I have one remaining shotgun. Remington 870 "Sportsman 12" model, about 40 years old, plain walnut stock & fore end, matte finish, 3" chamber, with a 21" vent-rib barrel fitted for Rem-Chokes. Around the house it has the IC choke tube installed and stays loaded with 2-3/4" field loads of BB-shot (about 90 pellets of .17 to .18 caliber). For quail or doves it works great with #7-1/2 or 8 shot target loads. For pheasants or chukkar I use the Mod choke tube and #6 shot. With the Hastings Extra-Full Turkey Choke the same gun wins every turkey shoot I have ever attended (guys at my club insist on one round with everyone using MY GUN, just to make it fair, and some of those guys have high-dollar trap guns). Steel shot for geese or ducks is not a problem. Buckshot or rifled slugs are not a problem. If I ever want another barrel I can order a wide variety easily, and for reasonable prices.

Mossberg offers similar options at very reasonable prices, some coming as combination packages with hunting barrel and riot barrel.

I don't have any use for AK's after two tours in Vietnam. AR's can be fun for a day at the range, but you can sink a ton of money in one pretty quickly and still have only limited potential uses.

A good shotgun will serve many purposes and give you a lifetime of service at minimal expense. The shotgun is a "must have" basic gun, and you will never regret having it around.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you already have an AR, then the shotgun might be the more appropriate choice for home and field use unless your ROE includes taking on adversaries over 100 yards away. The Remington 870 Tactical in either 12ga or 20ga are quite reliable and effective for defensive purposes at home.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you already have an AR, then the shotgun might be the more appropriate choice for home and field use unless your ROE includes taking on adversaries over 100 yards away. The Remington 870 Tactical in either 12ga or 20ga are quite reliable and effective for defensive purposes at home.
It's taking a lot of time trying to find a suitable shotgun that's in stock. Should've done this months ago. Oh well.

·
Registered
33,980 Posts
My questions would be: What are you trying to defend? Inside defense or outside defense? An urban home in a tightly packed neighborhood? A rural home with many yards between houses? Congested areas versus open grounds?

I don't know what an AK would defend most homes any better than your current AR. Since you have an AR, I would think a shotgun would be a nice compliment to it. As for penetration concerns, get over it. Just about everything can over penetrate.

My home is on an 80x125 lot with houses all around--now. Long range is not a need. I have both a short-barrel 1100 and an AR. The AR would be more hazardous range wise. The 1100 to a lesser extent. The AR is handier, the 1100 packing 12 rounds of 12 gauge not so much.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I liked my Street Sweeper but not a fan of spray and pray AK but on the other side my Saiga was the one I wished I had back, wishes are cheap and thats my budget.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I am not much of a fan of Remington these days but a 870 would be hard to argue with.....the Mossberg would be another alternative. If you really want to spend some money go with a Benelli M4.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Any sort of defensive ammo in a shotgun (buckshot or slugs, NOT birdshot as it is not going to penetrate deeply enough to stop an attacker) is going to penetrate deeper than a standard 5.56mm round. If you already have an AR15, Id suggest buying more ammo when it comes available cheaply again and then taking a training course if you havent ever before.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My questions would be: What are you trying to defend? Inside defense or outside defense? An urban home in a tightly packed neighborhood? A rural home with many yards between houses? Congested areas versus open grounds?

I don't know what an AK would defend most homes any better than your current AR. Since you have an AR, I would think a shotgun would be a nice compliment to it. As for penetration concerns, get over it. Just about everything can over penetrate.

My home is on an 80x125 lot with houses all around--now. Long range is not a need. I have both a short-barrel 1100 and an AR. The AR would be more hazardous range wise. The 1100 to a lesser extent. The AR is handier, the 1100 packing 12 rounds of 12 gauge not so much.
I live within city limits so there are houses all around me.

·
Registered
33,980 Posts
I live within city limits so there are houses all around me.
As do I. The shotgun would have a less lethal range. Make your best decision--or flip a coin--but I don't see where an AK, or another AR, would boost your defenses.

Reactions: Instymp

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I've been toying with the idea of a defensive shotgun for a while. I would want as compact a gun as possible due to the layout of my house that includes hallways. That said, I really don't want a Shockwave, as they have too small a capacity and I want a gun I can shoulder.

I've been thinking about the Keltec KS7. It is a very short, light, pump shotgun with a high capacity for their size. It won't be a fun gun to shoot, but I won't shoot it much anyway.

The other gun I have been considering is a Panzer BP12. It's another bullpup design, but is a magazine fed semi auto.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Interesting that one website says they can ship to my zip code while another (Brownells) says they can't due to some undisclosed restriction. I don't see any shotgun restrictions in Nebraska law so I don't know what that is about. Doesn't matter at this time anyway since neither shotgun is in stock.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts