Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Grettings from Texas, I would like to get advice or opnion if you will ,regarding on my new wish list for this holidays,. Should I buy the Famous Sig 229 or the legendary 1911, (9mm or 45 ACP)?

Ok if I pick the 9mm it will be cheap to shoot so I get to practice more ...

The 45 will be less practice but more stop power so should I look for stoping power or better shoot placement ...?

The Sig I been reading reviews and its a few things that Im not happy with like the grip after a while start pilling off so the price are almost the same..

So what do you think ....:hand10:

·
Super Moderator
17,773 Posts
Personally I prefer the 1911’s but as you say the 9MM does allow for more practice for the same money, best bet would be to try both and see which fits your hand better.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Don't worry too much about stopping power in any round, the only true stopping power is proper shot placement.

While I prefer the .40 myself, I'd have no problem carrying any caliber round above 9mm. With modern self defense ammo, the differences between the calibers has become almost negligible.

Buy what you are most comfortable shooting, and in the largest gun you can comfortably carry and conceal.

Oh, and welcome from middle Tennessee! :wave:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick response,,

On the 1911 I was looking at the "EMP"

I believe it would give a better chance to practice more often also its cheap on the ammo...

·
Registered
116 Posts
For me, it would be the 1911.
They just have a great feel and look. Very dependable as well.
But... that's just me.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I've shot both, I like the 229. It fits my hand better.
I'm actually switching from my 1911 to a 229 for IDPA basically bacause of the ammo cost feeding my .45s

and it was an excuse to buy another gun :)

·
Super Moderator
18,131 Posts
This thread dosent make much sense.

The Sig 229 and the Springfield 1911 arent even close to each other.

The Sig in 9mm will hold 13 shots. The 1911 in .45 holds 8. If you get the 9mm it holds 9.

What do you want? A 9mm or a .45 ?

As for the Sig grips "pilling off" thats a new one on me. I have 7 of them, carried a 220 on duty for a decade,shoot my others extensively and have had no such issues.

I also have several .45's that I shoot quite a bit.

A Springfield is considerably less money than a Sig. You can usally by a used Sig for a what a new Springfield cost, unless you get the tricked out,high end Springfield.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
The EMP and the 229 aren't really comparable pistols. The EMP is much smaller, at the cost of about half the ammo capacity (depending on mags used). The 239 is closer in size and purpose.

That said, I am a BIG fan of the 228/229 platform, especially the 228 if you are going 9mm. It is among the best pistols for it's role that has ever existed - very high quality, extremely accurate, easy to maintain, well supported by accessories and after market items, and plain old boringly reliable. I really like the idea of the EMP, and have heard good things, but I don't have one (and am unlikely to get one, as it is a very different manual of arms from all of my other duty/CCW pistols).

I think the real question you should be asking isn't "which is better," but "what is the role this pistol will fulfill?"

·
Registered
103 Posts
sig

I love my 229 but its .40 cal

·
Registered
721 Posts
I have a definite bias for Sig, but HotGuns is right, that is a kinda apples and oranges kinda question...

My recommendation: A Sig 220.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Sig vs Springfield

Thanks for the quick response,,

On the 1911 I was looking at the "EMP"

I believe it would give a better chance to practice more often also its cheap on the ammo...
There are actually 26 different variations of the Sig P229 in 9mm or 40. Retail price is $1,000 to $1,200 depending on the model.

The Springfield EMP is also chambered in either 9mm or .40. It retails for $1,300

Neither are 1911.

Of course no gun dealer sells at retail. The prices are only for a relative cost comparison.

Both ate well made handguns and will last a lifetime.

One thing about the Sig I like is the trigger action. It is machined and polished. The SA might need some work to even get close to the quality of the Sig IMO.

I sell both,

Call or email me to discuss

Email: [email protected]

Toll free: 1-888-745-2080

·
Registered
543 Posts
I may be wrong here but if I understand right Sig is experiencing some product and service problems.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the comments,

Im looking for a CCW that will be the main use of the gun, So I went to the gun shop and the EMP feels good on my hand and will be easy to carry for me anyways the price was $899 with night sights

the Sig I really like very well made gun, its just feel heavy and bulky an my opinion for CCW. Price was 715 + Tax, also comes with night sights

But may get a good holster and go with the Sig .

Thanks for your opinions ...

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Sig P229 hands down, not the best comparison, but of the two, Sig.

I've also been using Sigs almost exclusively, and never heard of a grip "pilling off".

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
That's a great price for the EMP...I paid about a grand for the wifes.

The EMP is as close as you can get in a micro form factor 1911ish design.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I own both 1911's and Sig's my opinion go 45 in 1911 and in 229 go 40SW. I am not a big fan of 9mm personal expereince. The avaliability of 40SW and price are pretty equal to that of 9MM here in Texas (In fact I wish I would have bought at least one 40SW instead of all 45 so I could shoot more). If you want a good Sig 45 get a 220 Carry same size as the 229. As far a round capacity if you have to ever use more than 2 or 3 in a self defense situation you have bigger problems. I think the capacity of my 220 carry (8+1) is plenty. Just my opinions.

Another note is that most Federal Agencies are going to 40SW in the Sig platform and from my reserach many State an Local LEO's the 220 and 229 is what Texas DPS carry in a 40SW Rangers carry both 1911 in 45 or Sig 220 in 40SW/ These agencies have the money to run the tests and prove the pistols. And the Military used 45 up to 1983 and only switched because of avalibility with NATO for 9mm ammo. Best thing though is to get what you can shoot most accuratly for me it is the 45.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I might suggest since it sounds to me like you are a new shooter,that you go to a gun range that rents both handguns and fire them so you can see which weapon you like the best and which manual of arms is easier for you,In the past there are documented cases where good guys were shot and killed during confrontations when they drew their guns but failed to disengage the manual safety.I would recommend a DAO or DA/SA trigger system to a novice for that reason

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sounds very interesting , thanks

Another thing is that I want to shoot often to acomplish hit things at 25 or 30 yards, with the 45 I see it a bit difficult because the price on the AMMO

The 40 sound's good as well I may go with the 40

Yesterday I went to the gunshop after talking to the guy that was helping me he was are you a cop?

I was no Im not a cop of course I ask why he was He just look like one the way you dress, haircut I just think it was funny ...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts