Defensive Carry banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
due to the advancement of modern hollow point technology & reliable expansion the difference between 9mm,40S&W and 45acp is not as big a factor as it used to be
https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/ look up your favorite ammo ( in your calibers ) and see what the expansion is
view the expansion & penetration of 9mm,40S&W and 45acp there isn't a lot to be gained by going with a bigger caliber. ( more recoil& slower shot to shot time)
also a small 9mm can hold more rounds ( g-19 15+1) faster shot split times and more shots between reloads is a good thing.
I have been shooting & training since the 1980's, and most of my training out side of military is from the Jeff Cooper play book.
it used to be that in the 80's& 90's hollow points would open from 20 to 30% of the time "on a good day" so the bigger calibers were better stoppers
now we have a lot better expansion from modern ammo.
Why yes, they even look similar.
C41F6BEA-D777-4F46-9DC0-FF0ECD70A14A.jpeg

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I've got a different twist on the 9mm thing. What should I carry?

Primary carry - .40 S&W M&P M2.0 Compact 4"

Summer Carry - .45 Shield

Backup/Beach Shorts - .380 LCP Gen 2 (Not LCP II).

1. Ammo Capacity - The .40 S&W holds 13+1 or 15+1 depending on mag. 9x19mm would be 15+1 or 17+1.

2. Ammo Cost .40 S&W at LGS
.40 S&W Blazer 180 FMJ "Seconds"
$7.99-50 (Less per 1000)
$79.99-350-180 GDHP "Seconds"
$29.99-50 for 180 GDHP "Firsts"

3. I shoot the same split times with the .40 S&W 4" Barrel and a 4.25" 9x19mm barrel and the .40 S&W barrel is more accurate.

4. I do not shoot the 9mm Shield (Slightly smaller platform) or P365 anywhere near as well as the .45 Shield.

5. I shoot the LCP the worst. The LCP gives me wandering POI due to inconsistent grip (goes from 3/4" low left to 3/4" high right depending on initial grip) but the groups themselves are not bad. Around an inch at 7 yards slow fire and inside 6" rapid fire (Slow Fire Target enclosed). I am going to try the Hogue Sleeve to see if it helps.

Should I really go with a 9x19mm I shoot worse because it's the cool thing to do and it holds 2 more rounds than the .40 S&W?

7 Rounds - 7 Yards - Offhand - .380 ACP Horn AG XTP
Changing your preferred caliber to 9mm is not "the cool" thing to do; it's the "trendy" thing to do. Not necessarily the smartest move for everyone.

Stick with the M&P40 Compact! Awesome choice, all across the board.

I've carried either an M&P40 Full size or M&P40 Compact for a number of years now and there isn't a thing about 9mm, nor about any new pistols that have given me any reason to change what I carry.

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
You surely will do just fine with a 9mm. But it is up to you IMO the 40 and 10mm are way over rated as SD CC.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
9x19mm at 15 Yards Group
.40 S&W would be all 10 Ring
Shield .45 ACP would have one into the 8-Ring.
So where is the 9mm hitting? What size is the 8-ring? Also, speed of presentation is important. Can you rattle off six rounds into the CM of a standard-sized silhouette in say 2 seconds with both calibers? From what you are saying about the .40 and the .45 I would stick to the .40 simply because reduced recoil generally means one can get more rounds on target easier and quicker.

Forget bullseye shooting. It's good for comparison and a small part of practice, but for defensive use, it generally comes down to quick, multiple rounds into one's attacker, no matter where it is on the body. Yes, center mass or head shots (especially head shots) are more reliable at stopping a threat, but any and every hit has a psychological impact.
Here is 25 Rounds at 15 yards out of the .45 Shield. It's about 4.25" thanks to that one especially egregious flyer (wish I could blame something other than the nut behind the trigger). About 3.5" if you give me a Mulligan on that one.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I like it when we get a glimpse of a member in their natural habitat.
From knowing your choice in edc I figured you were a man of style and class.
Not disappointed. :yup:
Wow! Thanks for that wonderful compliment, my brother! :vs_cool:

Reactions: OD* and matthew03

·
Registered
38 Posts
Genitron search can tell you their opinion on best Defensive Carry as well as other criteria and filters to give answers to what's best generally.
Any gun coach will tell you that what you shoot best = best for defense

As for me, regardless that James Bond carried a 380 and 9mm "is cool - mainly b/c beginners don't flinch as much during recoil - then divert attention to more ammo (in case they miss so often + needs more ammo to stop a jerk or druggy that feels nothing) ... and I realize that .38spl is similar to 9mm, the age old police/military sidekick ... gotta say, don't care to have a long running gun battle nor always have "head shot", sooooooooo
357mag
45acp
offer the most carry options

·
Registered
12,734 Posts
Here is 25 Rounds at 15 yards out of the .45 Shield. It's about 4.25" thanks to that one especially egregious flyer (wish I could blame something other than the nut behind the trigger). About 3.5" if you give me a Mulligan on that one.
No Mulligans in gun fights.

·
Registered
6,310 Posts
So where is the 9mm hitting? What size is the 8-ring? Also, speed of presentation is important. Can you rattle off six rounds into the CM of a standard-sized silhouette in say 2 seconds with both calibers? From what you are saying about the .40 and the .45 I would stick to the .40 simply because reduced recoil generally means one can get more rounds on target easier and quicker.

Forget bullseye shooting. It's good for comparison and a small part of practice, but for defensive use, it generally comes down to quick, multiple rounds into one's attacker, no matter where it is on the body. Yes, center mass or head shots (especially head shots) are more reliable at stopping a threat, but any and every hit has a psychological impact.
If felt recoil is your concern, .40 has always felt quite a bit more snappy than .45 to me. Neither are really an issue.

81 - 91 of 91 Posts