Defensive Carry banner

Should I continue to use +P ammunition as my defensive ammo of choice?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So let me preface all this by saying that I've always been super partial towards carrying Federal 124 gr HST +P for my EDC defensive round. Nevertheless, I was skimming through the Safety & Instruction Manual for the M&P 2.0 pistol and came across this little gem:

Should I be concerned? Should I start using the 124 gr standard? What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
So let me preface all this by saying that I've always been super partial towards carrying Federal 124 gr HST +P for my EDC defensive round. Nevertheless, I was skimming through the Safety & Instruction Manual for the M&P 2.0 pistol and came across this little gem:

View attachment 332177

Should I be concerned? Should I start using the 124 gr standard? What are your thoughts?

View attachment 332179
View attachment 332178
The pictures are not showing for me.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts

View attachment 332177

View attachment 332179
View attachment 332178
How much self defense ammo are your shooting that this may be a concern???

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
If you shoot regular ammo most of the time and the self defense ammo sparingly, you should be fine. It’s just telling you that +P will wear you gun out faster. You will probably never wear the gun out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you shoot regular ammo most of the time and the self defense ammo sparingly, you should be fine. It’s just telling you that +P will wear you gun out faster. You will probably never wear the gun out.
Well, that's a relief, what is considered sparingly though?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Who knows? Less than half of your total shooting? As much as you can afford? I can’t afford to shoot much SD ammo.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Everything I have seen just basically says that +P is hot and may damage weak or old guns with constant use. That said, I have only seen catastrophic failures on extremely overloaded ammunition from hand loaders, though any gun can fail with regular loads. I had a Colt Lightweight Commander shear off the entire retaining tube between the slide release and the thumb safety for reasons known only to God, effectively rendering it useless until repaired.

If you are concerned, just practice with regular ammo most of the time and run sufficient +P through any modern pistol to ensure it is not throwing off your center mass hits and then carry with +P.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
All manufacturers have that disclaimer in their manuals. I carry Hornady 124gr 9mm +P in my Glocks and my M&P 9mm 2.0 Compact. Any duty weapon like an M&P will be fine with limited use of +P ammo.

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Premium Member
33,788 Posts
Golden Saber +P or CorBon +P are the only rounds I load in the guns I'm carrying.

Reactions: ugh762x39

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
If I carry a 9mm its loaded with +P
Glock 19 HST 124/147+P
Kahr PM9 CorBon 115+P (carried as a 2nd option in pocket along with Glock IWB).

Reactions: Bad Bob

·
Super Moderator
23,235 Posts
I would not lose any sleep over the question at all. None. Nada. Zip. Zero.

Just shoot what you shoot best, not what a table or gun magazine article tells you. You'll never shoot enough for it to matter.

·
Registered
12,738 Posts
Look at the chart you posted. Is there really much difference between the 124gr +P HST round and the regular 124gr HST? The non +P actually performed more consistently in their tests. I personally go with the non +P version.
Results in jello rarely extrapolate to the street.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
As @Rock and Glock said, I wouldn't over think it either.

It's been posted here before, but I recommend viewing and listening to the Federal team who design and test bullets for a living. They're more concerned about designing a bullet that penetrates and expands, less concerned about what velocity it is to achieve that. Virtually all damage done by a bullet at pistol velocities (below 2200 fps) come from physical crushing and maceration of tissue, not from any lateral wound effects like is seen at rifle velocities. The meager difference in velocity between HST 124 standard pressure and +P is insignificant. My impression is they sell the +P merely because some people think +P is needed.

That said, I don't agree 100% with everything they said. I have heard enough anecdotal evidence from street shootings that handgun velocities over 1200 fps tend to create slightly larger wound tracks than lower velocity rounds. HST +P doesn't quite get to that velocity, but Underwood does make +P+ loads with Speer Gold Dots that push over that 1200 fps mark. It comes with the cost of more muzzle blast and recoil.

Personally, I have various guns and mags loaded with either HST standard and +P, and Underwood loads, based on what each gun groups better with. In many cases it's a toss up.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
The +P gives you more range. There are times in my life where a 25 to 30-yard shot is called for. It has nothing to do with the current social atmosphere, but that is also a consideration. +P will perform at a higher level at those distances. It also expands more in your cited test. I only go through the +P about once a year when I rotate through my carry ammo. I notice no difference in how the pistol handles, and I get a good, tight group. Shoot what shoots best. Avoid the +P+, but occasional use of +P should be fine.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts