Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I posted in the WalMart supply thread but wanted to post a seperate question about it. I bought 50 rounds of Federal 180 Grain FMJ FN rounds in 40 S&W for $15.

Simple question: Given the price and ammo availability, should I got back and buy more?

Thanks for the help and advice!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Depends on your area. I can get .40 Federal at my wally anytime I need it. They usually have Federal and WWB 50 and 100 round counts every time I stop by the counter. I've bought a box or two each time I'm there and they have plenty of stock until I'm now in great shape. Now if I came across some .380 I might buy the 6 box limit.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
How much ammo do you want to keep "in stock"?

Personally, I try to never get below 500 rounds/caliber.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
I see the Federal 40S&W on the shelves here most of the time.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Locally, .40 is the most common thing here, with now .223 also taking up shelf space the last couple of times I've been to walmart.

Depending on how often you see it in stock is my only advice. If you've been seeing it on a fairly common basis, then no, just pick up what you need as you need or want it. But if this is the first time you've seen it there in months, then stock up. :yup:

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So it sounds like my choice to go with a .40 caliber gun was a good one... since the ammo seems to be readily available. I'll probably stop back in and snag another 50 rounds since they're only going for $15 and I should be well stocked ammo-wise, but its good to hear they don't seem to be in such short supply.

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
I'd be buying more...just to save up enough for a 3-4 day class (1500-2000 rounds)...:yup:

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I would buy it while it's there. Buy as much as you can afford when you can. Here's why. Prices won't go down, they may go up. Even if you can always find it, you might not always find it for $15/box and that's not bad pricing.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Plus you never know if by some chance you can't find .40sw ammo and the local range is charging $40/box because they have it and know people going to the range need it.

·
Registered
543 Posts
yes, if you have the $ go buy the limit, then go back and do it again! You won't find it less than that for a long long time to come if ever. I buy one or two boxes of .45 every time I see any at WalMart, which isn't that often anymore. Now it's 19.97/50 just a few weeks ago it was 18.95/50.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Only go back if it was 9mm....it is the hardest to get.

·
Registered
759 Posts
.40cal is always in stock around here. When the 9mm is there i buy 6. My wife buys 6, and I text everybody I know.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Around here .40 and .223 are the easiest ammo to find. Everyone has them. One local Wal-Mart acutally had .45 yesterday. Didn't need it but I did get 100 rounds of WWB.

I'm going back and to get some more. I don't want to be caught like before with almost nothing to shoot.

The tough times are over yet, nor have we see the worst. Don't get caught short.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Since it was only $15 a box I went back and bought another three boxes to be on the safe side. Thanks folks!

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Since it was only $15 a box I went back and bought another three boxes to be on the safe side. Thanks folks!
And next week go back and get some more. There's no such thing as to much ammo. :banana:

·
Registered
60 Posts
on the subject of Wally World ammo. my Wally world sells the 100 rd Winchesters in 165gr i think it was for $29 and they also have 180gr Federals in 50ct for like $13.... Im going back this weekend to get more but a question is should i just stay with the Winchesters or go with Federal.. i've only shot the Winchester FMJ outt my gun at the range.. any thoughts on which is better? Federal or Win?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts