Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about picking up a stainless 226 for mostly IDPA. It's getting rather expensive to shoot my 1911s that much. I have an aversion to running Wolf in my 1911s for some reason. I meet a fella today with a 226 ST but the trade didn't work out.
I called around and found a used 226 Elite with the SRT trigger and night sights, which would be perfect for IDPA.
the only thing I'm willing to part with in the safe is a Desert Warrior. I've only got 7 1911s right now:smile:. I DW used to be the nightstand gun, but it was retired when the Nighthawk GRP came to live with me...so the DW basically is a safe queen right now. Seems like the used value on each gun is approx. the same.
I have a "normal" 226, but I like the added weight of the stainless for IDPA.

Decisions...decisions. I like Sigs, but I'm not up to speed on the "elites" Are there any downsides to them?

·
Registered
236 Posts
why not reload your own

I've been thinking about picking up a stainless 226 for mostly IDPA. It's getting rather expensive to shoot my 1911s that much. I have an aversion to running Wolf in my 1911s for some reason. I meet a fella today with a 226 ST but the trade didn't work out.
I called around and found a used 226 Elite with the SRT trigger and night sights, which would be perfect for IDPA.
the only thing I'm willing to part with in the safe is a Desert Warrior. I've only got 7 1911s right now:smile:. I DW used to be the nightstand gun, but it was retired when the Nighthawk GRP came to live with me...so the DW basically is a safe queen right now. Seems like the used value on each gun is approx. the same.
I have a "normal" 226, but I like the added weight of the stainless for IDPA.

Decisions...decisions. I like Sigs, but I'm not up to speed on the "elites" Are there any downsides to them?
Why not buya Dillons SDB in 45 ACP and reload?
Dillon Precision: Reloaders, Reloading Equipment, Bullet Reloading, Bullet Reloaders

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
Yep, I'd do it, but then I'm spending YOUR money.:rolleyes:
Actualy, I'd spend my money to do it too.:hand10:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't shoot IDPA, but my impression of the game is to practice shooting with your concealed carry system to improve your odds in a real life gunfight. So, I guess what you need to ask yourself is, do you shoot IDPA for competition, or for real life training? If you are shooting for competition (that is, just to play a "game") then buy and shoot whatever gives you an edge in the game. But if you are shooting IDPA for real life training, then it seems logical to me that you should shoot your carry gun. Only you know what your priorities are.

·
Registered
274 Posts
check out Summit Gun Broker He has a few all stainless and some elites in, last time I checked.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reloading is the only thing the wife has said no to. Something about needing my hands in one piece to work :) I've tried to explain the process...but I'm not going to push the issue.
IDPA is fun, it does help in self decense situations, but it's a game. The basics of the motions will not change (expect swiping the safety off) sight picture, double taps, etc will be the same (except for the DA 1st round)

·
Super Moderator
18,131 Posts
I say go for it.

Although it wont be cheap, it'll be worth it.
It'll never be any cheaper than it is today...ecpecially with the present administration's love to hate.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well...crap. I drove out there , about an hour. The Stainless Elite 9mm, SFt trigger, and those oddball shelf sig night sights used was 999.00. It doesn't have the stainless frame.

What I want is a FULL stainless 226 with night sights and the SRt trigger. I can save 100.00 per case of ammo between 9mm and 45 ACP (according the the prices I saw today.
It's not much, every bit helps

·
Registered
574 Posts
Last time I went to the shooting range I rented a 226 and I loved it. If sig only made a compact 9mm with a double stack mag I would be all over it. Although I do like the intimidatin' look of the beefier gun

·
Registered
274 Posts
Last time I went to the shooting range I rented a 226 and I loved it. If sig only made a compact 9mm with a double stack mag I would be all over it. Although I do like the intimidatin' look of the beefier gun
Check out the P228 or P229

They are compact when compared to the 226, but to when compared to a Glock 26

·
Registered
574 Posts
Check out the P228 or P229

They are compact when compared to the 226, but to when compared to a Glock 26
I had looked into them before, but didn't realize they were the same size as the glock 19. That's funny.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
heh...glad I held out. Went by one of the more expensive places today to see what they had.
Walked out with a Sig 229 elite Stainless with the SRT trigger and night sights.
Traded in a well worn Desert Warrior for a grand. Ended up paying 199.00 for the Sig.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts