Defensive Carry banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I just bought a Springfield XD Mod 2 subcompact and I absolutely LOVE it!! Best shooting pistol I've ever shot and it fits my hand like a custom glove. Anyway I was reading online and heard about the striker retainer pin breaking issue. So now I'm wondering if I should swap mine out with one of the heavier duty ones even though my pistol isn't even broken in, just for peace of mind. I called a local gunsmith and they hadn't even heard of the issue, so maybe it's not as big a deal as the internet makes it out to be? Also, is this something I can do myself? I'm a very hands on type and do all my own auto work and such, but my experience is pretty limited when it comes to working on firearms. Anyone have any recommendations on wether or not to change it out? If so, who should I buy a replacement from? And should I tackle the job myself?

I realize this may be a better question for the xdtalk forum, but I can't seem to join. Keeps telling me it sent a confirmation email, but it hasn't. Yes I checked all my spam/trash folders. Even messaged them under the help tab but haven't gotten a reply yet.
Anyway thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
19,017 Posts
After witnessing a buddies xdm have the issue , I would say change it. He did a lot of dry fire(which may have causes premature damage) and live fire. But relying on something to not break when you need it may not be the best idea.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I think its Springer Precision, or maybe Powder River Precision, that sell really strong stainless steel roll pins to replace the factory pins. I bought a pack of them, three pins I believe, for just a few bucks shipped.

Also, and not trying to change your mind as I loved my XD 45, but to me the M&P full size pistols feel and shoot way better than the top heavy (high bore axis) XD pistols. After owning both I would never swap my M&P's back to XD's. Would own more XD's maybe but would not be my carry gun of choice or for accuracy shooting.

But if you keep the XD I would definitely recommend Powder River Precision trigger kit and Don's guide rod. Makes a really sweet shooting XD.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Powder River is the one to get. I put them in all of my Springfield's before I got smart and replaced all of my Springfield's except the 1911's with CZ's.

·
Registered
914 Posts
By all means, buy the replacement pin(s). Not that expensive.

However, I would not actually replace it until you have broken the gun in and see how it is.

As for the retaining pin being damaged because of excessive dry firing.. yup, I can see that happening, especially with a relatively light weight roll pin. The solution to this issue is to use snap caps, that way the striker is stopped by hitting the snap cap rather than the retaining pin.

As a general rule, center-fire firearms are ok to dry fire because the firing pin/striker is not hitting the breach face. However, with the firearms that use a retaining pin rather than a retaining plate, like the 1911 or hi-power, that retaining pin can be damaged after extensive dry firing. This happens because when you dry fire, without a snap cap, the shoulder of the firing pin/striker hits the retaining pin. This will eventually cause damage to the pin if it is a light weight roll pin. By contrast, in a handgun with a retaining plate, like the 1911 or hi-power, the firing pin is stopped by the spring and there is no worry about damaging a retaining pin. The solution is to use that snap cap (some handguns include a snap cap for this purpose when purchased - my CZ 75 came with one) so that the retaining pin does not take this abuse and does not get damaged.

In any case, having the spare retaining pin is not a bad idea, and they are generally not that expensive - spare parts are always a good idea.

·
Banned
747 Posts
I dry fired my XD about 2000 times and I broke my retaining pin in mine. I dont remember where I got replacement pins, but I got a pack of 3 pins several years ago, and haven't had a problem since.

I'd say run it as is and dont worry about it. If you plan on dry firing it thousands of times, then change it out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've heard of a few breaking but not right out of the box... Problem could be getting the old pieces out if it does break. I bought some of the PRP heavy duty ones and have replaced them in 2 out of 3 of my XD's. The 3rd is still fairly new and only has about 600 rounds through it. I'll probably replace it the next time I fully disassemble the slide to clean the striker channel.

Cheap insurance in my opinion...

·
Super Moderator
19,017 Posts
I still say replace it . When the pin breaks you get failure to fire more than half the time. Not good if you need it to protect yourself or others. My buddy was lucky his broke during his concealed carry class. He borrowed a gun and finished the class.

·
Registered
7,357 Posts
Should I replace my striker retainer pin?
If you don't dry fire your XD a lot you will probably never have a problem. If you like to do a lot of dry fire practice with the gun a spare pin might be a good idea.

·
Administrator
144,928 Posts
I don't have a problem with gun owners upgrading any part (or parts) that increase their confidence in their personal carry firearm.
Just buy known high quality from a reputable source so that you're really upgrading and not downgrading. :yup:

Reactions: rocky

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the great feedback! I was thinking of doing what some of you suggested and getting a spare heavy duty one, but waiting to replace until I take it apart to clean the striker channel anyway. Here's another question, I talked to another local gunsmith yesterday, and he said this is not any issue with the newer xd pistols. Do any of you have experience/first hand knowledge that it is still an issue?

One of you mentioned Don's guide rod and trigger I think...what exactly do they do for the pistol?

Another one of you mentioned m&p pistols...I have a shield in 9mm and so far I do really like it, but not as much as my Mod 2. A full size m&p will be in my future though. Just something about xd's that I really like. I haven't shot a lot of different pistols though so my opinion my change with time. I appreciate any and all recommendations!

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Hey guys,
I just bought a Springfield XD Mod 2 subcompact and I absolutely LOVE it!! Best shooting pistol I've ever shot and it fits my hand like a custom glove. Anyway I was reading online and heard about the striker retainer pin breaking issue. So now I'm wondering if I should swap mine out with one of the heavier duty ones even though my pistol isn't even broken in, just for peace of mind. I called a local gunsmith and they hadn't even heard of the issue, so maybe it's not as big a deal as the internet makes it out to be? Also, is this something I can do myself? I'm a very hands on type and do all my own auto work and such, but my experience is pretty limited when it comes to working on firearms. Anyone have any recommendations on wether or not to change it out? If so, who should I buy a replacement from? And should I tackle the job myself?

I realize this may be a better question for the xdtalk forum, but I can't seem to join. Keeps telling me it sent a confirmation email, but it hasn't. Yes I checked all my spam/trash folders. Even messaged them under the help tab but haven't gotten a reply yet.
Anyway thanks in advance!
You would be better off replacing the XD with another brand as they have always had design issues with the pin,etc.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I wouldn't replace it with another brand... I think it is a fine choice for fun at the range as well as defensive use. I currently have 4 different models of XD pistols and they all have proven to be 100% reliable assuming you do your part to keep them in good working order. Two of them were purchased new and two were purchased "well-used" with unknown round counts. My brother also has a Mod2 and is loving it. A friend of mine is a sheriff's deputy and carries an XD as his duty weapon and also has had no issues with it.

As I originally posted, I consider the upgraded pins as cheap insurance... A striker retainer pin failure is a possibility IF you have an high round count or if you dry fire a lot; I consider it as wear and tear so it is something I inspect when I do a full disassembly on the slide for cleaning.

Per the forum rules, a link to another forum is allowed as long as it is pertinent... Here's a good thread over at XDTalk you might want to check out: Cutting Through the Hype and Myths: Is the XD Good Enough for Professional Use? | Springfield XD Forum

Food for thought...

Josh

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Thank you all for the great feedback! I was thinking of doing what some of you suggested and getting a spare heavy duty one, but waiting to replace until I take it apart to clean the striker channel anyway. Here's another question, I talked to another local gunsmith yesterday, and he said this is not any issue with the newer xd pistols. Do any of you have experience/first hand knowledge that it is still an issue?

One of you mentioned Don's guide rod and trigger I think...what exactly do they do for the pistol?

Another one of you mentioned m&p pistols...I have a shield in 9mm and so far I do really like it, but not as much as my Mod 2. A full size m&p will be in my future though. Just something about xd's that I really like. I haven't shot a lot of different pistols though so my opinion my change with time. I appreciate any and all recommendations!
My XD45acp, with a Powder River Precision trigger kit, was about as close to a 1911 trigger on a polymer striker pistol as I have ever shot and certainly as good as my M&P with the Apex trigger kit. Don's Guide Rods are quality units tuned to near perfection and give the gun better control of recoil and muzzle flip, something that is inherently worse on the XD due to its higher bore axis.

I wouldn't get rid of the XD if you really really like it. They are nearly 100% reliable and they are rugged pistols. I loved mine and would buy another if I really wanted a bunch of handguns in my stable.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks again for more helpful info! Looking into Don's guid rod, it seems that they only make it for the full size versions of the XD pistols with longer barrels? Or am I missing something? Is there another option for guide rod upgrade for a sc mod 2? Any other good mods for the mod 2? Already looking at trijicon night sights. I don't really want to mess with the trigger yet. How about the fully polished striker from prp? Or maybe the upgrade grip safety? Trying to add other things to the order from prp so I'm not paying for shipping just for the roll pins lol

Also, has anyone ordered from pistolgear.com? How is their reputation?

·
Registered
842 Posts
About two years ago there was a rash of people complaining about broken retainer pins in some XDs and XDms. Haven't heard much about it lately. I did replace the retainer pin in my XDm with one from Powder River, just for my own piece of mind.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Dry fire with a snapcap in place should go along way towards keeping the firing pin from banging on the roll pin.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts