Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got my permit in the mail a few days ago and I have to wait a couple weeks to buy my carry gun. Right now i have a Ruger GP100 .357 mag and i do have an over the shoulder holster i can use to conceal it with a jacket.I do not have any defensive loads to use at the moment. Should i wait to get my carry firearm to carry any more?. I suppose i could buy some defensive loads if i can find them. It would be hell if i had to use it and i shot through someone into bystanders.

the loads i have now- http://www.sellier-bellot.cz/pistol-and-revolver-detail.php?ammunition=9&product=187

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
What kind of loads you got for it now? Anything is better than nothing JMO

H/D

·
Banned
1,059 Posts
I use .38 hollow points in my .357 Smith & Wesson Model 60. .38s are good enough at close carjack-attack or parking lot range. I assume that your Ruger can use them too? Damn that is a tempting little fun gun that is cheaper than a Smith and just as shiny.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Get some 38SP+P and this should solve your over penetration problem.

As to Carry I would try and see how comfortable you are with it.

Before long most folks get to the point that they can barely leave home with out their CC.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i have carried it twice but only late at night when i have been driving. So it has not been a problem to carry.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree with what others have said..."carry what you have". Another thing to think about. Even after getting your carry gun "in a few weeks", you will not be able to start carrying it that day. Your new firearm will need a break in period before you are comfortable that it will be reliable. Plus... you need to figure out which SD ammo your gun likes and will throw downrange with 100% reliability before it should strapped to your waist.

So for now, carry the .357 with good SD loads or the less kicking .38+p.

~ mmJeep

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
I got my permit in the mail a few days ago and I have to wait a couple weeks to buy my carry gun. Right now i have a Ruger GP100 .357 mag and i do have an over the shoulder holster i can use to conceal it with a jacket.I do not have any defensive loads to use at the moment. Should i wait to get my carry firearm to carry any more?. I suppose i could buy some defensive loads if i can find them. It would be hell if i had to use it and i shot through someone into bystanders.

the loads i have now- Sellier & Bellot - Pistol and revolver cartridges
Use what you have and carry the gun...it could be a lot worse if you were robbed or carjacked and didn't have anything with you.:gah:

·
Registered
350 Posts
It's really a question only you can answer. Carrying a pistol is a big responsibility and you should be competent with your firearm for SD purposes. That includes having the right skills, the right ammo, the right mindset, etc. I think it is honorable to decide not to carry when you think (for whatever reason) you are not prepared to do so properly. Though you'll often hear the slogan "it is better to have one and not need it than to need it and not have it," it is just a slogan and, as all slogans go, doesn't replace critical thinking.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Read my signature. The .357 is a premier weapon for defense. Use it.

·
Premium Member
24,512 Posts
Although not an easily concealed gun, if you have a carry rig, go ahead and carry it. Your link to the ammo you have shows it to be soft point bullets. I wouldn't worry about over penetration, soft point is designed for rapid expansion, just won't expand like a hollow point.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
I'd carry what I had until I could get something more concealable. Ya never know when you'll need the defensive tool. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
24,512 Posts
I use .38 hollow points in my .357 Smith & Wesson Model 60. .38s are good enough at close carjack-attack or parking lot range. I assume that your Ruger can use them too? Damn that is a tempting little fun gun that is cheaper than a Smith and just as shiny.
Any revolver built to fire .357 will handle .38.

As to a GP-100 being a "little fun gun" I have a feeling your thinking of a different gun, possibly the SP-101. The GP-100 is anything but little. The gun is built like a tank and not much smaller. Even the SP-101 is built tough, just not as big.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Carry what you can, IF you can. I stand beside the saying better to have and not need than need and not have, but as others have said - IF the mindset is NOT there, DO NOT CARRY until you do have that mind set,because it will be more a danger than a defense. Same for the require skills of USING that tool.
~Steve

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
I use to carry a S&W model-28 .357 with wad-cutters all the time. In fact it was my service revolver but even then we realized the over penetration issue. Still, its what I had so its what I used. Today, I wouldn’t hesitate to carry full-house loads if that’s all I had available.
Regards,
Dan

1 - 20 of 22 Posts