Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Glock 19, Glock 26 and a Walther PPS M2 and love carrying striker fire guns. I recently bought a Sig P238 in hopes my wife would like it and want to carry it. She loves it, but the problem is so do I. I like the P238 so much that I'm really thinking about getting a P938 for myself.

Is it wise to carry a striker fire gun and a P938? I'm so used to the strikers that I'm worried I'd forget to thumb the safety off in a life or death situation.

Just curious what your thoughts are and if any of you carry in rotation different styles of guns?

·
Super Moderator
18,050 Posts
I have a Glock 19, Glock 26 and a Walther PPS M2 and love carrying striker fire guns. I recently bought a Sig P238 in hopes my wife would like it and want to carry it. She loves it, but the problem is so do I. I like the P238 so much that I'm really thinking about getting a P938 for myself.

Is it wise to carry a striker fire gun and a P938? I'm so used to the strikers that I'm worried I'd forget to thumb the safety off in a life or death situation.

Just curious what your thoughts are and if any of you carry in rotation different styles of guns?
My primary EDCs are 1911s along with a revolver or two, as far as the safety training takes care of that. I used to worry about the safety but after shooting an IDPA match I found clicking off the safety was a reflexive action and once on target was ready to fire.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm also a striker fired guy but I think if you practice several times over and over you can develop that reflex to turn off the safety before firing. Some people (myself included) don't like the safety because IF, for some reason, you get scared to death and forget to turn off that safety in a self defense scenario, that split second could be your life. I'd rather not leave that to chance but maybe if someone had experience using a safety in a self defense situation, that would provide better insight.

·
Premium Member
36,787 Posts
Right now, I have a striker-fired Glock and a DAO Kahr on my person. Additionally, my J-frame is in my coat pocket when I leave the house. Training and practice with all three has eliminated any fear I might have of confusing one with the other at show time.

·
Premium Member
8,137 Posts
I fondled a P238 at a gun show and was very tempted. But then I realized that I have never had a gun with a safety and at my age I honestly did not think I could train enough and consistently enough to the point where I would automatically flick the safety off of every gun I pulled - including the ones without safeties.

I know for sure, because of experience, that if I grab a revolver and have to use it quickly, chances are I will use a semi auto grip and not a revolver grip. That makes my revolver shots WAY less accurate! I've been practicing more with revolvers lately because of that, but am not carrying one.

You have to know yourself, your abilities and your limitations.

·
Registered
20,117 Posts
I don't think there are any hard or fast answers for this.
It all depends on you.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I rotate, but try to keep them all similar. My rotation includes a Glock 26, Sig P320 Compact (maybe getting the subcompact), and Sig P229 (on occasion). All are pretty similar in operation really, no manual safety, push button magazine release, same sights (Trijicon HD, yellow). However, I don't rotate on a daily or even weekly basis. The Glock is for the warmer months and the P320 is for fall and winter. My P229 serves as my hunting sidearm (it's my only .40 cal) and for days where I just feel like it.

·
Banned
5 Posts
For some the answer may be yes if they do not get in a lot of practice time with all of their carry guns. I change carry guns a lot and never forget which one I have. All but my 1911's are point and shoot so no big deal. I have handled and shot a few hundreds guns in my time and competed with several types without any problem. I do practice with all of my carry guns as well as break them in and test them with my carry ammo. Sometimes it can take me months to qualify a gun for carry.

For new shooters or people with a lot of carry guns but little practice time, it would be a good idea to stick with one gun. Get to know it and use it well. I know plenty of guys who cannot shoot anything other than a Glock well. Then again I know guys who carry guns they never shot at all. It really depends on each person as to whether they feel comfortable with several carry guns or not. Things like carrying a striker fired gun 90% of the time and then going to a DA/SA or gun with a manual safety once in a while can be a problem.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I don't rotate.

I like to get to a point with a defensive gun that a lot of manipulation and sight picture is instinctive and I simply can't do it by rotating. On the closer targets I get to the point of familiarity with that gun that there's not much sighting going on. All I've got to do to remind myself of this is run an El Presidente and compare time+accuracy. Odds are I'll bobble a reload, my grip won't be just right coming out of the holster, miss swiping something, my accuracy will be off. IF not, my time with one gun will suck as I'm making sure none of the aforementioned happens. When I do switch carry guns I'll go through 1-2K in ammo before I'm comfortable with the new one.

I do stick to "pairs" that have similar controls & triggers. I always have a sub-compact and a compact, so when the compact doesn't "fit" due to environment/activity I have the smaller gun.

The rotation works for some people just not for me.

Chuck

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I own and use both. I have a safety on all my pistol except my 9c and when I bought it I did not check for safety. I like it enough that I have not Had a problem with it.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Personally I don't have a problem clicking off the safety. That being said if it is that much of a concern buy a glock 43. You already know how to use that one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Shooting a Glock 19, in IDPA. Carry same pistol, same gun, same place, always! I have missed a saefty catch, on a Colt 1911. Never carried a 1911 since, since 1985.

I carry a Gen 4 Glock 19, but have an other G19 set up the same way. A carry pistol is for shooting bad people, you must have the best pistol for that job.

If you do not ever get to shoot a criminal, that is just fine. But when you draw a carry gun, no surprises better be the rule, oh, and, carry a spare magazine.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
I don't think there are any hard or fast answers for this.
It all depends on you.
^^^that's really the 'best' answer, IMO^^^

It's really up to you and how much of yourself you're willing to dedicate to each firearm. If you're going to put the time in, then it's probably not much of a big deal. If you're not, then it might not really be all that wise to do.

I guess the one question is what does the Sig get you that you're not getting from the 26? If you're looking for smaller and lighter then maybe look at the 43? If you're just wanting it because it's a lot prettier and makes you feel happy to look at, then there's really nothing to be done but buy one because a Glock isn't ever going to be that gun.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
There's a 'sideways' answer to this question and this is, you should know how and have some skill using a 1911 draw and safety thumb off, but you do not have to EDC it.

There are other firearms skills that you should have but they don't have to be integrated into your EDC. You should be able to pick up a firearm on the 'battlefield' and know enough of the basic types to be able to get into the fight with it. Does that mean you have to run an AR and an AK and any other somewhat non-basic platform? No.

Likewise, you should be able to do some of the more difficult skills and tricks, but does that mean you have to use them? Nope. Obviously if you have issues, disablements and so forth you get a pass.

I think you should be able to go to the range with an AR on a standard sling, do a few hits on target, lower it to the slung position and fire your handgun drawn from appendix carry. It does NOT mean you have to be military precision good. You should just be able to DO IT in slow motion without making a mistake or fumbling.

I've kind of come to this attitude and approach from listening to Clint Smith. There are skills of a technical nature that one should aspire to achieve, but no requirements to MASTER them. Just simple slow-mo with no fumbling. That way IF you have to call up that technique for some future time when it IS important to have it you have a basic familiarity with it.

So if someone says 'don't try this' or 'this is not effective' yes, perhaps for an amateur is it not an effective procedure to use in real time at expert levels.

We should make a list.

o Mozambique drill - yep, know HOW to do it.

o Draw from appendix and chamber a round and fire Israeli Style - YES! know how to do this enough that you have some proficiency with it but RUN with a round chambered in EDC. Why? It's a REAL skill; in fact, it's an enviable skill. Do I ever want to carry and run my sidearm like this. NOPE! :wink:

FWIW

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
A manual safety changes the game. I'd say a DA/SA, DAO revolver, or striker fired guns can all be mastered. You need to dedicate yourself to a manual safety. I bought a CZ because the safety operates like a 1911. I wouldn't carry it until you are sure you can't miss the safety. It's easy to go back to your Block. Worst thing you will do is try to sweep a safety that isn't there.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
I fondled a P238 at a gun show and was very tempted. But then I realized that I have never had a gun with a safety and at my age I honestly did not think I could train enough and consistently enough to the point where I would automatically flick the safety off of every gun I pulled - including the ones without safeties.................... You have to know yourself, your abilities and your limitations.
I don't rotate...................The rotation works for some people just not for me. Chuck
No disrespect meant SG, but from the start I have carried a double action, safety off, and one in the tube. As much as I like my antique Colt 1911, that's part of the reason it's a safe queen . For years I was a fan of rotation, but over the past two years I've returned to single EDC and practice on getting better. The other, I take to the range every few trips for target practice, but for the most par, I only carry it when I am going somewhere that is less than prime real estate.

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
I solve the possibility of missing or forgetting to snick when I move to my 1911's by carrying condition 0. That way, striker nor da/sa or DAO nor manual safety changes the draw and fire manual of arms/cycle.

In this way there's no reason to NOT change up the rotation anytime I want to carry a different handgun.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Good, bad or indifferent a S&W MP9 and or MP9c both are set up the same sights (Novak front night sight and 10-8 "U"-notch rear sight plain black), triggering system (Apex Duty/Carry), and the magazine disconnect feature (Yes I Know Most Individuals Don't Like It). Both are carried in the same style holster.

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
I solve the possibility of missing or forgetting to snick when I move to my 1911's by carrying condition 0. That way, striker nor da/sa or DAO nor manual safety changes the draw and fire manual of arms/cycle.

In this way there's no reason to NOT change up the rotation anytime I want to carry a different handgun.
Ditto! Perfect practice makes for proficiency! I also carry a 1911 in Condition 2 or 3.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts