Defensive Carry banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was in the service, the LBE belt & Y harness were the height of tacticoolity. There were some variations, but the two extremes of LBE belt height were the "John Wayne" and the "Uptight & Outta Sight." MOLLE was as yet unknown.

JW was worn low, below where the Large ALICE ruck kidney pad hit your lower back. This tended to look kinda like where JW carried his pistol belt in his westerns. One drawback was that such carriage was likely to muck with your static line jump gear.

U&OS was worn high in order to clear the ruck's kidney pad and usually was out of the way of jump gear. It was a bit more difficult to access mags & canteens relative to JW carry.

[Guys who wore their LBE at the kidney pad height either had no gear on the belt in the rear or soon learned that the middle ground was a painful place to be.]

How does this relate to shoulder holsters?

Well, when I bought my Galco Miami Classic II for my 1911s, the vendor helped me adjust it to fit. I ended up with a near-JW deal with my 1911 riding just above my belt line. It was comfy, and didn't flop about, but access to my 1911 was difficult, due to my large torso and medium arm length.

Over several months, I have cinched it up a bit every once in a while and I see myself getting it U&OS. The higher carry allows me to clamp the weapon & holster between my upper arm & chest while drawing (same with mag changes). Also, with the lower carry, I find I have difficulty accessing my SW1911 seated in an auto. Much better access in an auto when it is riding higher.

Any other shoulder holster users find that to be the case, or am I an oddity?

I have found the Galco MCII to wear very well all day long with my all-steel GM-sized SW1911 & two spare mags. The more I wear it, the more I like the setup. I am sized so that all I need to conceal the rig is a camp shirt or some other button-down of sufficient material weight, color and (preferably) pattern.

I have found it a very handy alternative to IWB/OWB carry for a service-sized auto.

·
Administrator
144,048 Posts
With any shoulder rig I position the firearm almost all the way up under the armpit with the muzzle canted slightly up.

The Galco harness is furnished extra/extra long from Galco.

You are supposed to position the firearm exactly where you want it and then cut all that extra strap leather off.

Note: ~ You should only wear your firearm positioned down near your belt if you are planning on starring in a low budget TV Comedy Detective series.

"Well, when I bought my Galco Miami Classic II for my 1911s, the vendor helped me adjust it to fit. I ended up with a near-JW deal with my 1911 riding just above my belt line."

Your vendor was a clueless idiot. :yup:

·
Registered
116 Posts
I got a Galco Miami Classic II about a month ago for my G19. I'm in the exact same boat as you with my torso/arm length and wear it up high. I'm still tinkering with the set up and haven't trimmed my straps yet.

Prior to getting it, I EDC my G19 OWB and now I don't want to go back. Shoulder rig is more comfortable and quick draw under pretty much any situation.

·
Registered
116 Posts
With any shoulder rig I position the firearm almost all the way up under the armpit with the muzzle canted slightly up.
I do the opposite and cant the the muzzle slightly down, which kicks the grip out a little and makes it easy (for me) to reach the grip/draw.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I've used a DeSantis, three Galcos; the Miami Classic, Half Harness and Executive and a Cobra...all set up basically the same way over the years. The holster rides about a hand's width below my armpit with a slight upward cant. This is the point at which my arm naturally moves to when I draw. The upward cant seems to coincide better with the natural angle at which my hand is positioned when I reach for the grip.

That is a height at which my body build allows to decent concealment and comfort from flopping against my ribs. Lower than that is comfortable unless very active, but my draw slows down considerably.

I dislike "high and tight" carry as it isn't very confortable for me personally.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts