Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in and out of vehicles all day and access to my pistol in a VMII isnt to good when seated and belted in. Dont want to spend big buck to find it wont work for me.I am 5' 8" 155 and dress is flannel shirts and coat in the winter and T shirts and open cover shirt in the summer. I have a 3'', 4" and 5" CDPs but prefer the 4" the most.

·
Registered
20,046 Posts
Looking forward to the replies on this one. :yes:

·
Registered
484 Posts
I used two rigs that were OK. First, the old Miami Classic from Galco was very comfortable, especially with the double off side mag pouch, balancing the load. Yes, I bought it after Miami Vice came out. Gave away the Don Johnson coat, though....

The other was a simply Unlce Mikes nylon rig, for my Walther PPK, (long gone), and it was fine. I just don't really like shoulder rigs as they are awkward, unweildy, difficult to draw from, and showy. I go now with strictly strongside carry, unless I have a BUG, which will be stashed anywhere.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Shoulder rigs are my first choice. I have been using them for some time.

1st. I started with an "Uncle Mike's" shoulder rig. I liked it and it worked surprisingly well. They are relatively cheap.

After being convinced that a shoulder rig was the way to go (for me) I decided to invest in a better rig.

I have 3 carry guns and had (over time) bought Uncle Mike's shoulder rigs for all of them.

I bought a leather harness from DeSantis. - Just the harness - not the holster. I actually prefer NYLON for the holster. I simply placed the Uncle Mike's holster and mag holders onto the DeSantis harness. (Along with the tie-downs.)

This works GREAT and allows me to use the comfortable DeSantis harness for ALL my CCWs by just switching the Uncle Mike's Holster! (I have been known to carry two guns that way too! :wink:

I THINK this is what I ordered from DeSantis. (I can double check if you are interested.)

http://www.desantisholster.com/a26.html

This lets you "try it out" with an inexpensive nylon set up and add leather later if you like the concept!

Good luck!

(EDITED TO ADD)
A lot of people do NOT like shoulder holsters and often when I try to buy one the guy at the counter tells me I won't like it and tries to talk me out of it. I find it more comfortable than any other form of carry. Presentation speed is fine. I just think you need to use tie-downs otherwise the gun can shift. - My .02

·
Registered
75 Posts
Mike, I never thought of it that way. Something to think about.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Wonder??

Not sure I want a holster that moves. Where will it be if I am knocked on my butt..or on my face, etc. What if I am running?

One handed presentation and reholster sometimes present problems with shoulder rigs also.

Strong side and weak side hoslter is first, next for me, is a good cross draw holster.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use a Galco SS2 system and generally carry a Star BM 9mm when plowing snow. IWB just ain't gonna happen with overalls and a heavy coat on! Also, when plowing you spend half your time backing up, and my usual 4:00 IWB position causes discomfort when turning my body to look out the rear window. The system I use is top notch quality wise, but pricey. Of course, it will likely outlast the gun and myself. I can also conceal reasonably well under a heavy sweater with this rig, for times when I can't leave my shirt untucked. Even a sweatshirt is sufficient for concealment.

I also have a lightweight 1/2 harness shoulder rig which conceals a J-frame Airweight nicely under a dress shirt very well. I believe that one is a Bianchi.

The Uncle Mike rigs are typically cheesy (yes I have one), and I hope you won't base your total opinion of shoulder holster rigs based on a nylon and velcro experience. Leather really does make a difference in comfort, etc. Actually, a HUGE difference in my opinion. But, the Uncle Mikes rigs are cheap enough for some experimentation as mentioned earlier.

The biggest concealment issue I have with the Galco SS2 is the wide shoulder straps. A little difficult to conceal at the neckline at times. Most makers offer a thin strap version as well. If you get one and don't like it, there are lots of online forums where you could easily sell it and recoup most of your cost.

Steven

·
Registered
68 Posts
Not sure I want a holster that moves. Where will it be if I am knocked on my butt..or on my face, etc. What if I am running?
That is why I always use tie-downs. They keep the gun (and mag carrier) in place. That way I always know where the gun is. It helps if you lean forward too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you want an inexpensive shoulder rig to see if you like wearing one, check out JagWear. Their balistic nylon shoulder rig with double mag carrier was less than $50 shipped.

·
Banned
1,424 Posts
Howdy!

Shoulder rigs are really speciality tools - great for pilots, stake out guys, drivers, dig protection types and such - people that spend a great deal of time seated. They have some weaknesses for general carry.

However, having said that, Lou Alessi makes a dynamite shoulder rig called "The Bodyguard." I've got one for my Sig P-220 and absolutely love it. It conceals well, balances nicely and draws very, very well. They are not really expensive either - $125. Overall, it is the best shoulder rig for autos on the market (IMHO).

·
Registered
20,046 Posts
Originally posted by Gary Brommeland
Shoulder rigs are really speciality tools - great for pilots, stake out guys, drivers, dig protection types and such - people that spend a great deal of time seated. They have some weaknesses for general carry.
I had a Bianchi shoulder holster years ago that I used with a 4" Colt Diamondback in and I liked it for comfort, but always found it was sort of awkward to draw. It carried the gun upside down. Some of the models that carry them at an angle with the muzzle pointing at an angle toward the armpit look like they might solve that problem. But the other problem I found was that it didn't conceal real well. It looked like I had a gun on me. I have never tried another one but I would like to after I finally get settled on in IWB and OWB solution.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have an uncle mike’s horizontal shoulder holster that I used for my SP101. It worked fine but was somewhat uncomfortable. I wore it under my button down shirt and just left a button open so I could draw it if the need arose. However, I bobbed the hammer on my SP. Without the hammer spur the SP would not stay in the holster even with the retention strap. Since my regular carry holster is a smartcarry and the only drawback with that holster is drawing form a seated position in a vehicle, I decided to experiment with it to see if I could use it as chest holster. The smartcarry is essentially two pouches (one for your weapon and another smaller one for your speedloader/mag) connected to a velcro belt that you wrap around your waist. I place the smartcarry around my upper abdomen loosely with the weapon pouch situated just left of my navel and under my left nipple. Then I used some nylon straps which my SO sewed for me to make a small harness (like suspenders) and clipped these to the smartcarrys “belt.” Now the weapon is just to the left of my button line on my shirt and it’s a cinch to draw from. Again I just leave a button undone and I’m ready to go. It’s much more comfortable than the shoulder holster I used to use. I checked myself in a mirror for printing and had my SO check me also from all sides and there is no indication that I’m carrying.
I use this rig only in the winter. In the warmer months I use the smartcarry in the conventional manner or I raise it so my grip is just above my belt similar to Mexican carry but with a holster.
:cool:

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have been in the market for a shoulder holster, and after hours of surfing the net trying to find something negative about the Alessi bodyguard, I found nothing but praise. I have one on order as of last night. I'll post my opinions when it arrives.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Rem 700
Have you considered a cross draw holster, DeSantis makes a nice one. If you are right handed, it rides about 10:00, so it is not hindered by the seatbelt. Sorry to change the subject but I thought this might be an option for you.

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
I have used the Galco Jackass (since I live in Missouri now, how apropriate) for more years than I care to think about, and just as I doubt any of you only have 1 gun for all circumstances, a shoulder rig has it's place and time. The harness is almost infinitely adjustable and it will take a bit of time to find the way that fits you, I like mine about 4” below the arm pit, mag pouches canted bottom forward and the harness can be adjusted so the gun rides forward of the mid line of the body. Put it on around the house, make adjustments in the harness until you find what fits you, with the Jackass I have no doubt you will find an arrangement that works for you.

The uncle Mikes is a nice hot weather rig, I don’t find it as comfortable but the nylon is cooler, I use it a lot in the woods, just over a camo T-shirt when running around my property.

·
Banned
9 Posts
I currently have 3 shoulder rigs I am thinking about sellng and here's why.

Galco Jackass rig: Decent enough but anything over a j-frame in weight/length doesn't work for me.

DeSantis New York Undercover: This is a good rig but again The Weight!

Alessi Bodyguard: Tremendous holster with a j-frame but the draw is hard (my problem, maybe not yours).

Shoulder holsters require some work. Be prepared to be disappointed for a little while. Like the Smartcarry, what feles good today might not feel so good tomorrow. And I have experience with both.

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
Car Carry

I have been carrying guns for over 30 years and the best shoulder rig I have found is made by Sam Andrews (www.andrewsleather.com) It's called the Monarch Rig. I carry a 1911's in it, both full size 5" and a Kimber CDP Compact. These are horizontal carry with 2 mag pouches on the off side for balance. There are no tie-downs instead it has a strap across the lower back to prevent flopping. I find it works very well. Sam also makes a holster called the Car-Jacker Crossdraw which is excellent for carry in a vehicle. It lays the guns in your lap in a extreme horizontal cross draw for quick access, it has a flap which goes under your belt and snaps back to itself for easy on-off capability.
I hope this helps in your decision.

·
Administrator
143,465 Posts
I shoulder carry almost every day.

Carry a good quality properly functioning firearm in a proper shoulder holster & it's as safe as any other mode of carry. I would not carry in a shoulder holster if I believed that it was in any way unsafe.
Yep, Andrews Leather makes a great shoulder holster as does Lou Alessi. You are correct the Alessi is very "form fit" & tight. It needs a few shots of "Pure Silicone" spray inside the holster body to cut the friction a bit & make it just perfect.

If you carry a full weight firearm (like a Colt Govt. Model) in a shoulder rig it will (of course) pull directly down on the top of your shoulder.
It will feel uncomfortable for a couple of weeks & then your body gets very used to it. I would say that in three weeks you'll not notice it at all.
A properly constructed shoulder holster is the most comfortable, practical form of carry for the real world.
I carried every day ALL DAY for years (& usually still do) in a shoulder holster. I would never go back to carrying full time AT or ON the waist or IN the waist.

With a good shoulder holster I carry in summer just under just a darker oversize T-Shirt & its quite cool & comfy. Drawing from UNDER a T-Shirt takes practice...BUT, we are smart human beings and we get very good at what we practice often.
With practice your draw is lightning fast. I have absolutely no problems clearing my holster & having the weapon presented in one second or usually less. Summer or Winter...~ Especially with the Alessi "pull through" snap set up.

Lately...I carry in Alessi Shoulder holsters but I make my own custom harness & strap system made up entirely from orthopedic deerskin ~ VERY COMFORTABLE for 10 to 12 hour daily carry!
Try the Alessi...I know Lou Alessi & he is a damn good man. Try his holster out for a few days & if you don't like it ~ call him up & he'll take care of you.

Go out to eat...go to the movies...get in the car ~ get out of the car ~ get back in the car...sit...stand up...run...do handstands...climb a ladder ~ reach for a can on the TOP SHELF while food shopping ~ It is just the best way (for me) to carry. I usually carry in my shoulder rig from the time I get up until bed-i-boo time. I never worry about my firearm or readjust it or tug it or shift it. It's simply great. You can wear it & forget it yet always know it's right there.

There is nothing WORSE than a bad shoulder holster & nothing better than a good one. Go with quality leather. Just my humble opinion.

One reason that a shoulder rig gets a general bad rap is that you often are not permitted to draw from one at a public range. So actual "draw & fire" drills are tough to accomplish unless you own your own property. Like I do.
But, you can "dry fire" draw & shoot at home. You will get very fast.

I carry with my firearm canted slightly muzzle upward & about 2.5 to 3" under my left armpit. I carry either a Combat Commander ~ GLOCK 36 or a SIG P220 with no problems at all. The gun does not "flop around" if... you set your holster up properly. After you get it exactly how you like it then cut off all that extra long strap leather.

If you are extremely overweight then you'll probably have trouble drawing from a shoulder holster. Don't buy one.

I go everywhere with a shoulder holster & I never flash or print.

Also: People say that when you carry in a horizontal shoulder holster you "cover" everybody around you...well I hate ta break the news to you but when you carry at the waist & you walk around on your second floor...You are covering the tops of the heads of all your family members walking around on the first floor below you. You just can't see them down there but your floor sure won't stop an AD or ND ~ Think about that for a few minutes.
Buy a top quality firearm. Put it in your high quality holster (let me check to see if the naughty word bleeper is working) and don't **** with it & you'll be just fine.

·
Super Moderator
19,002 Posts
I like my inexpensive Uncle Mikes nylon shoulder holster. Fairly comfortable, Ya gotta watch what ya wear lighter coats as it will sometimes shows the straps.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts