Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,627 Posts

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
i wear the galco miami classic (jackass rig) and have done so for about 25 mango seasons. hard to beat a good shoulder holster, cheap ones will beat you to death before the day is out .

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Appreciate the feedback, gents! Yes, I'll be kilted :image035: and I 'll definitely look into the leather rigs over the nylon. Thanks again!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Been scouring the net for shoulder rigs...wondered if anyone has worn this one:

Google Image Result for http://www.cowboyneeds.com/passconcept90.jpg

I'd sure like to know what you thought of it...
Thanks!
I have a Galco Miami Cassic II and a rig just like that one for a G19.

The problem with them is that even with tie downs the holster/gun is going to flop around, because the straps just dangle down from your outer shoulder. Also the with the one I got, the retention strap snap is hard to undo, which is worse than the gun flopping around.

With a rig like the Miami Classic, the straps sort of criss crosses your back/shoulders and holds the holster/gun in place and the quality is night and day difference. Well worth the additional cost!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
The problem with Galco shoulder rigs for 1911s:

Galco shoulder rigs for 1911 are made to be carried with hammer down. That is NOT the accepted correct way to carry a 1911. I may someday buy a Galco Jackass rig for a Glock, but for 1911s, I am looking for a holster designed for cock and locked carry. Still looking for someone who has used a "Stylemaster" shoulder rig (Made by Mitch Rosen)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Appreciate the feedback, gents! Yes, I'll be kilted :image035: and I 'll definitely look into the leather rigs over the nylon. Thanks again!
Another kilter Texas with a CHL! Awesome! I dont wear pants...ever. Cant stand em.

For Kilts, nothing beats the Smartcarry. I can carry my Taurus .45 and its a BULKY gun all day long, day in day out. Not a soul has ever noticed it. I also made a cut in mine near the bottom so I can carry a revolver with a 6 inch barrel comfortably.

Alex!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Listen to there wisdom,I went with a nylon shoulder holster and it sits in my closet, it kill's my shoulder and neck,you definetely get what you pay for!I bought a pain in the neck!

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Galco shoulder rigs for 1911 are made to be carried with hammer down. That is NOT the accepted correct way to carry a 1911. I may someday buy a Galco Jackass rig for a Glock, but for 1911s, I am looking for a holster designed for cock and locked carry.
That's funny, I've got a Galco Jackass rig for a 1911 and I don't have any trouble carrying my 1911's 'cocked and locked'. I've had it for close to 20 years, so unless they've changed the design, you got some bad information...

·
Registered
74 Posts
That's funny, I've got a Galco Jackass rig for a 1911 and I don't have any trouble carrying my 1911's 'cocked and locked'. I've had it for close to 20 years, so unless they've changed the design, you got some bad information...
From the Galco website FAQs:

Quote: Are Galco Holsters for 1911's Designed to be Carried "Cocked and Locked", "Condition 1"?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All Galco holsters with safety straps and thumbreaks are designed to carry the 1911 with the "hammer down, chamber empty". Galco 1911 fit holsters that are "open top" (no safety strap and no thumbreak)are designed to accommodate 1911's in all safe "conditions" specified by the firearm manufacture. End quote.

And, I have one. It's about 25 years old. It's plenty tight with hammer down, but cocked, it's so loose it could fall out of the holster with the thumb strap snapped. Here is a pic from Galco's website: J1H JACKASS HOLSTER COMPONENT

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Wow, that doesn't look like my Galco holster, at all... Mine looks more like the Miami Classic style holster and it fits really tight with the hammer cocked... You couldn't get mine to snap if the hammer was down....

Of course, the cop shop I got it from, was very good about putting together specials for us, maybe it was a custom assembled hybrid... too long ago to remember... I'll post a pick if I can tonight...

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Ok, here are the pics of my Galco shoulder holster... Maybe someone can shed some light on what it might be, if it's not from a classic jackass rig...

Here's the markings on the back of the holster...

See, how tight it fits with my Kimber cocked and locked...

It can't fall out while it's snapped, it's way too tight...

The other side of the harness holds the standard upside down single stack, double mag holder...

·
Premium Member
6,539 Posts
Is it for an XD, or something else?

·
Registered
74 Posts
TX-JB,

I just got mine out and compared it with your photos. Mine looks very close to yours , but on the back the number is 154, where yours is marked 150. Mine also is marked LG FR AUTO. The double mag holder won't take a double stack mag, but 1911 mags fit just fine. The number on the mag holder is A1403. I now wonder if mine is for something other than a 1911....

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
The number on my mag holder is the same... It's for (2) single stack mags, sorry for the confusion... I don't know about yours, mine is supposed to fit any 1911. When I bought it, I had a Government and an Officer's model and wanted to be able to carry either... Maybe back then they had the option for cocked and locked carry, too... Probably 80% of the deputies that carried autos, carried 1911's. It's hard to imagine they wouldn't make a holster for one of the most popular carry methods around...

Check the boning on the holster, at the grip, it's a dead giveaway for the 1911...

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a gut feeling mine may be for a Smith & Weson model 39 series. They use singe stack mags. But, with what Galco says on their website, and looking at their pic of the Jackass holster with a 1911 in it, I would not buy one without knowing that it was tight like yours in condition 1. Maybe someone on this forum has bought a Jackass for 1911 recently and can tell us.

Thanks for posting the pics.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts