Defensive Carry banner

Have you ever used a shoulder rig for EDC?

• Yes (explain why in comments)

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • No (explain why not in comments)

Votes: 14 53.8%
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past, there have been times when I carried my EDC using a shoulder holster. When I got my first carry permit as a senior at the University of Alabama, I carried my first gun (S&W M19 Combat Magnum revolver) in a Bianchi hip holster and a SafariLand shoulder holster, vertical carry with a belt strap that stabilized the rig and was extremely comfortable. I maintained that carry method for that gun as I progressed thru my active duty time and got a permit for Washington State. Eventually I literally wore that rig out. Much later, after my ETS from active status to reserve I acquired a custom shoulder rig for my 1911 Government model from Sam Andrews. At $120, it was at that time (1987 when the first SHALL ISSUE carry permit for the State of Florida was passed into law) the most expensive holster rig I’d ever bought for a 1911 manufactured by Remington Rand in 1943. I wore that out too, but it took much longer. This was one HELLUVA rig. Super comfortable. I had the option of a Gerber Boot Knife in a custom sheath that snapped onto the holster itself and was drawn cross draw by snapping the grip straight down. Very layered in terms of response possibilities. Quiet, too.
Sam Andrew’s Monarch

2021 “Best Holsters”

Reactions: Workaholic

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I use a shoulder holster whenever I am wearing a suit. It provides for easier access when seated, and it gives my hip a rest. I have both a Bianchi nylon modular rig, which is configured similar to the Jackass rig, and a vertical one from Massimo Gunleather. I prefer the vertical, but have, at times, used the Bianchi.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I wear light weight button ups and a shoulder holster about 98% of the time. When it’s real cold I switch to a jacket when it’s real hot I switch to fishing shirts. It allows me to easily conceal and comfortably wear a large gun as well as easy access to magazines all while being in a nice handy rig.

It does have cons just as it has pros. That said training with your equipment and using proper equipment and practices mitigates these in my opinion. I prefer the Galco Jackass and to help offset the weapons weight in addition to the two magazines on the strong side I also have a pair of cuffs. They take time to set up properly and adjust to fit you and your body type.

ETA: I’ve carried everything from PPK’s to Government Models and from J-Frames to 3” L-Frames in then. For revolvers I prefer the Bianchi 9R sadly they are long out of production and command a premium.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
I have some for use in the woods, but have been considering for daily carry, like Henry said, to give my hip a break.
I have no natural padding and my offside gets sore. It’s been better since I ditched a certain belt I used for a couple years.

My opinion is that you should stay away from shoulder holders made by large companies and pay the extra for one from a custom maker. Life is too short to walk around with an inexpensive holster.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
When I lived in Southern California, I rarely wore a suit or sport jacket. Most of the time, I wore Hawaiian shirts or polo shirts, so a shoulder holster would not work in that environment with that mode of dress. I wear suits even less here in Utah (in fact I think I have only worn one once in 7 years). In the winter, I wear flannel shirts and normally wear jackets that have enough stretch that I can pull the jacket up at the waist if I need to access a pistol.

I don't think shoulder holsters are a bad thing, they just don't jive with my lifestyle.

·
Super Moderator
18,506 Posts
Back when I was on active duty and aircrew I used a Safariland upsidedown shoulder holster, I purchased it to replace that sorry issued holster (nothing worse than the feeling of your weapon sliding down your flight suit), it carried a 2-inch S&W Model-10 securely and was easy to draw. I still use the same holster on long trips when driving.

·
Premium Member
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wear light weight button ups and a shoulder holster about 98% of the time. When it’s real cold I switch to a jacket when it’s real hot I switch to fishing shirts. It allows me to easily conceal and comfortably wear a large gun as well as easy access to magazines all while being in a nice handy rig.

It does have cons just as it has pros. That said training with your equipment and using proper equipment and practices mitigates these in my opinion. I prefer the Galco Miami Classic and to help offset the weapons weight in addition to the two magazines on the strong side I also have a pair of cuffs. They take time to set up properly and adjust to fit you and your body type.

ETA: I’ve carried everything from PPK’s to Government Models and from J-Frames to 3” L-Frames in then. For revolvers I prefer the Bianchi 9R sadly they are long out of production and command a premium.
PPK? In a Berns-Martin?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
PPK? In a Berns-Martin?

The real Major Boothroyd who wasn’t a major but just Geoffrey Boothroyd suggested the Berns Martin triple draw for James Bond to carry with a smith and Wesson revolver in a letter to Fleming. He recommended the PPK as well and Fleming got the two mixed. He was an avid fan and firearms lover felt bond was ill equipped with his .25. Which is quite alright the Berns Martin holster is actually a precursor to the 9R which is my preferred revolver option.
ETA: I incorrectly said Miami Classic in my initial reply. While I have many of them the only one which sees use is the ppk model the rest I sue are jackass rigs.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I don’t know about Every Day, but I have considered one for my 1911 Commander. I doubt horizontal carry would wok for me. I have considered vertical. I had a vertical shoulder holster for my Ruger Super Blackhawk. Made by Safariland and it swiveled allowing a vertical draw.

Most of the work I do know, requires me sitting in my vehicle. I’m considering a shoulder rig. Just not sure if it’s the best choice. The-cost of a good quality leather holster is rather expensive to purchase for testing. I’m thinking of purchasing a nylon rig and if it works, switching to the leather. If it doesn’t, I’m not out much. Decisions, decisions. 😂

Reactions: Workaholic

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I don’t know about Every Day, but I have considered one for my 1911 Commander. I doubt horizontal carry would wok for me. I have considered vertical. I had a vertical shoulder holster for my Ruger Super Blackhawk. Made by Safariland and it swiveled allowing a vertical draw.

Most of the work I do know, requires me sitting in my vehicle. I’m considering a shoulder rig. Just not sure if it’s the best choice. The-cost of a good quality leather holster is rather expensive to purchase for testing. I’m thinking of purchasing a nylon rig and if it works, switching to the leather. If it doesn’t, I’m not out much. Decisions, decisions. 😂
I would highly recommend a Jackass Rig. They allow a greater degree of Cant on the gun for a muzzle up carry. I use one for both my Governments and my Commander. It is my recommendation you don’t cheap out a cheap one may simply turn you off without getting a fair chance.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
For further clarification, I have used a Kangaroo Carry holster, which looks like a shoulder holster, but is designed to be worn under a shirt. It works okay for deep concealment, but it certainly is not a fast draw.

I wore mine with the pistol positioned much higher than the model is wearing hers in this photo.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
View attachment 357003

I would highly recommend a Jackass Rig. They allow a greater degree of Cant on the gun for a muzzle up carry. I use one for both my Governments and my Commander. It is my recommendation you don’t cheap out a cheap one may simply turn you off without getting a fair chance.
I’ve thought about that. I’m 5’6”/155lbs. Horizontal wouldn’t conceal well enough, but the upward cant might work. I’ve looked at the jack-ass rigs. Definitely quality. I’ll look into it. Thanks.

Reactions: ExSoldier

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I’ve thought about that. I’m 5’6”/155lbs. Horizontal wouldn’t conceal well enough, but the upward cant might work. I’ve looked at the jack-ass rigs. Definitely quality. I’ll look into it. Thanks.
No problem one thing of note. If you purchase a Galco product not from Galco there warranty won’t cover it so I would recommend buying direct.

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
I have never worn one EDC. I live in hot desert conditions and only wear a coat a couple months a year.
I do have a couple. I keep one in case I ever wanted to wear a 1911 while driving. And another that goes over the head and one shoulder. it is made for a 6" S&W model 66. I have kept it as a bump in the night kit. With a flashlight, gun and spare ammo, it used to hang in my closet with a pr of slippers under it. Right now I'm using another gun for bumps in the night, so it is not being used. DR

·
Premium Member
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The real Major Boothroyd who wasn’t a major but just Geoffrey Boothroyd suggested the Berns Martin triple draw for James Bond to carry with a smith and Wesson revolver in a letter to Fleming. He recommended the PPK as well and Fleming got the two mixed. He was an avid fan and firearms lover felt bond was ill equipped with his .25. Which is quite alright the Berns Martin holster is actually a precursor to the 9R which is my preferred revolver option.
Wow! I’m impressed. Really.

Reactions: Gunnie

·
Premium Member
37,567 Posts
I've never used one. Too much trouble on the concealment end.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
Why I have never used one: too many limitations IMHO. Must wear cover garment in addition to normal shirt and I only wear suits to Church and Court. For really big guys they are both fiddly and often not adjustable enough.

Reactions: ExSoldier
1 - 20 of 54 Posts