Defensive Carry banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I like shoulder holsters but they offer a slower draw cycle (for me) compared to a rig carried at 3 with a delicate forward rake.

What say you?

Here is an example of a double holster rig I had custom made by Sam Andrews for two precisely combat tuned S&W M&P pistols I built (left and right pistol trigger finger is tuned to each of my hands). Made of cape buffalo, tough as nails.

And here is another example, which I sold to a USPSA shooter who uses the CZ75 I custom combat tuned in competition with a long stick.

Here is one more by Sam Andrews. The SA combat conversion is by me. Sold to a law enforcement officer including the custom holster too.

You can not see it too well but below is an old time shoulder holster for a Colt 1864, which I carried for a while too. You can see the Colt 1864 reproduction I combat performanced tuned as well as the Colt Vest Pocket Pistol that is over 100 years old, which I combat performance tuned and fancied up, precise out to 10 yards (it's my EDC BUG). Lower right is me with my lovely wife. The 1864 shoulder holster only had leather ties to adjust the placement (you can see them in the image), very tedious compared to modern day rigs. I had it made custom for the 1864. My motto, "you only live twice" I inscribed in gold on the Colt Vest Pocket pistol.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
First, I say that's a mighty fine looking holster set. I've had Cape Buffalo (along with elephant hide) cowboy boots. They're HELL to break-in yet (once there) damn-near impossible to wear out! :yup:

I find shoulder holsters a tad hot & cumbersome for my taste. But I prefer horizontal shoulder holsters for draw-stroke & presentation speed. To me, they're just smoother than the vertical style.

·
Banned
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a great looking rig. Andrews makes some quality holsters.
Sam certainly does, but it takes a while to get them. In the case of that double rig he had a movie contract ahead of me. So when the rig arrived Sam gifted me a handmade wallet, which he calls mission creep.

Wallet is lower left in this picture of my EDC

·
Super Moderator
19,163 Posts
Nice looking holsters. I carried a 2-inch S&W Model 10/15 for many years in an upside-down Safariland shoulder holster and the only thing that slowed the draw was having to unzip my flightsuit to get to it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It may be stupid of me but, the only shoulder holster I use is the old M7 style. Yes, they are outdated, heavy, and a bit awkward.......BUT at least I feel good that my 1911, P89/P90/P97, or 4+5/8" Super Blackhawk won't fall out of them. Which since I'm going to get some flack here anyway.........all my belt holsters have snapping straps on them. I don't practice, nor I believe in a quick draw approach to carrying. I believe that the weapon gets pulled before it's needed.

Reactions: rednichols

·
Administrator
144,767 Posts
Sam Andrews. Fine maker.

All of mine are pretty much older Alessi.
Extremely well thought out and very quick out of the leather.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts