Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It started to get cool here in FL, so I purchased a Galco Miami Classic II shoulder holster for my G19(EDC).

Today it was like 80 degrees, so I went back to OWB.

Wow..shoulder holster is much more comfortable.

Now I'm trying to figure out a way to wear it year round without being miserable in the hot months, which is most of the time in FL.

Anyone here in a hot state like FL shoulder carry year round?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
It's not easy. Tennessee can get plenty hot in the summer too.

A thin t-shirt worn tucked in with a button up shirt worn over it (untucked, sleeves rolled up) and a pair of jeans is what used to work for me. Its got a rather blue collar work look to it and doesn't seem to stand out too much.

A track suit also works year round, just gotta roll up the sleeves again.

Good luck finding a method that doesn't stand out, makes you sweat like a pig, or doesn't just scream "He's got a gun!"

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
How about just accross the border in Georgia? Does that count?

I really like my sholder holster, but for me it's too much in the heat of our long summers. Since 9 or 10 months of the year I'm in shorts and tee's belt holsters (both IWB & OWB) are the way to go. I'm almost never in enough cloths to hide or carry in a sholder rig comfortbly.

Unless I wear tee's under a Hawaiian (or other similar buttom-down) shirt then the sholder rig won't cut-it for me. I carry a G23.....a 'near' twin to your G19.

Now..........if it works for you, then by all means go that route. Your the final say-so in how you carry. For ALL day carry a sholder holster has been, for me, the MOST comfortable when the weather and clothing choice allows.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree with the other posters. The way to go is a light thin t-shirt with a loose, billowy button down, untucked and open over the top. It's a nice casual look and covers the shoulder rig nicely. Those light fishing type shirts slide over the rig really nice. I love shoulder carry. No mater what position you're in the gun is right there. Standing, sitting, driving, it's very versatile. And, with long pants you can carry your BUG in an ankle rig.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Also, if the undergarment you choose is of the moisture wicking variety, then even when you sweat, you don't get all sticky. I like the "coolmax" shirts available at coolclothingusa.com, the company is owned and operated by veterans, and the t shirts are made in the USA!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I love shoulder carry.......... but I have found that theres a time ands a place for it, When I wore a suit and tie for work and had to do a lot of driving I found shoulder carry to be great.

Even when dressing down, I found a light thin t-shirt with a casual square cut button down shirt looked good and felt comfortable.

The only thing I ever noticed was folks wearing a t-shirt, that the collar tends to bunch up and now whenever i see a twisted up t-shirt on anyone dressed half way decently I immediatly suspect "gun"

At the end of the day, your the one carrying the firearm, you have to be comfortable with it, just if you draw please remember to get your hand and arm clear... Practice drawing from a shoulder rig, it takes a bit of getting used to.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I wish I had your problem, it's been O deg or below for a week and getting colder. I could conceal a AR 15 and not be found out. :frown:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I threw on one of my shoulder holsters a while ago and put it under my Carrhart. It was surprisingly comfortable and quick to access. I need to get one for my carry gun. I think in summer I'd still prefer IWB.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
I recently sold mine and it was very nice!

·
Banned
1,972 Posts
I use it for driving on long trips and during the winter but other than that use OWB

·
Registered
74 Posts
Shoulder carry is my fav. In summer I wear the Guyaberra type Tommy Bahama shirts and it works great. I suggest leather over nylon for this application. But I like nylon whe wearing an undershirt is possible. Lighter and doesn't make any squeking sounds.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
High Noon's UNDER TAKER in horsehide for my P-01.

Works great when my lower back pain dictates that I
use shoulder carry rather than a CZ on the belt.

I hardly notice my LCR (HN also) but even my RAMI
gets too heavy on most days.

I find that draw and reloads are faster with a winter coat/vest
on than belt carry in the winter.

·
Registered
249 Posts
It started to get cool here in FL, so I purchased a Galco Miami Classic II shoulder holster for my G19(EDC).

Today it was like 80 degrees, so I went back to OWB.

Wow..shoulder holster is much more comfortable.

Now I'm trying to figure out a way to wear it year round without being miserable in the hot months, which is most of the time in FL.

Anyone here in a hot state like FL shoulder carry year round?
How about a wife beater with a Hawaiian shirt cover?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts