Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a SHTF scenario what would be your choice all things considered and you had to bug out with 1 weapon? Consider the weapon of course but also availability of rounds to feed it if you had to scrounge up some to defend yourself. I know we all have stocks and stocks of ammo stashed but consider for instance you were on vacation in a unfamiliar area with nothing but your EDC, several hundred miles away from your supply and things really broke down to a wartime scenario so that you had to just survive in place.

I would probably choose a 357 revolver and try to get my hands on any sort of shotgun. 9mm and 45 acp would be non-existent within hours but 38 and 357 ammo is pretty common as is 22 but it would be a 2nd choice over a larger round.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If SHTF and all I have is my EDC, I'm screwed until I find a rifle.
Don't you think rifle ammo would be pretty hard to find ? There is always a bit in the store but nothing like pistol ammo that is bought to expend at the range in 50 round boxes vs the common 20 rounds of rifle ammo.

·
Premium Member
37,427 Posts
If current ammo availability is any indicator, it already has hit the fan. If you don't have it with you already, you are going to have a hard time finding it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Don't you think rifle ammo would be pretty hard to find ? There is always a bit in the store but nothing like pistol ammo that is bought to expend at the range in 50 round boxes vs the common 20 rounds of rifle ammo.
22LR would probably be not be ideal but it would be the most available IMO. I would take a rifle chambered for 22LR over any handgun in a SHTF scenario.

·
Registered
231 Posts
22LR would probably be not be ideal but it would be the most available IMO. I would take a rifle chambered for 22LR over any handgun in a SHTF scenario.

couldnt agree more!!

ill take my AR and stock pile...i dont forsee myself going on vacation for a long time ;)

off topic...go packers steffen!

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Where I live, it's a vacation every day. And I'm already hundreds of miles away from most everywhere that...I'm not. So I'll just hunker-down here, thank you very much.

Reactions: aogiss and Cuda66

·
Registered
220 Posts
The guns and ammo will clear out first.

Buy a bow and start stocking up on arrows.

·
Registered
473 Posts
22 pistol

Small
Brick of ammo is small but goes a long way
Suppressed is even better
Easy to conceal

Hunt with it.
Defend yourself with it. (Know its not ideal)

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
IF SHTF I will be carrying my CC on the way to where it is I am headed it will have what it always has in it,
After that What ever is in the mag is what I am using not going to get fussy about it.
I have enough to get by and pass it on the the next generation

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
This is the reason that I went and got a Henry lever in .22 cal. It shoots LR, longs, or shorts. I've tested them all to be sure, too. Plus, it's the only rifle ammo that I have reserves of. Also, I have a lot of 12 gauge ammo, but that would be hard to bug out with - so big, bulky, and heavy.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Snap caps... pound for pound I find them by far the lightest to carry when bugging out.

Reactions: srings and Fisher10

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
I buggin in where my supplies are. When I travel I carry a separate small suitcase with more guns including a Mossberg 500 12 ga shotty and plenty of ammo. This is just in case I get caught away. I am stocked on ammo and the Ammo SHFT has occurred for the second time in 4 years. If your stocks are low good luck finding more. If you reload, now is the time to do some and stash it.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Uhh... Can't find .22 lr ammo now! And the shtf hasn't even happened yet.

·
Premium Member
13,765 Posts
If I had the choice of just one gun it would be a pump action shotgun

Specifically a 12 ga Mossberg 500 or 590

If it was a handgun it would be a .357 revolver

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Tuff choice, I would take my mk111 an a couple of bricks an my sp101 with a suitcase full of ammo jump in a boat go to an island plenty of them where iam at

·
Registered
170 Posts
.22 9mm 38/357 44spl/44mag or 45acp in any of my pistol/carbine combos.

SHTF probably the GP100 Marlin combo in 38/357 just from a reliability standpoint, 357 from a 20" barrel is pretty potent.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
.22 LR first choice because when you buy .22, you usally buy it in quanities of 100 rds or more, and many people will have that (dead or alive......). In CQB or killin rodents to eat, the .22 LR is the best all around survival round.

9 MM is the next choice. Very common. Even most dead LEO (I am not advocating shooting LEO - just answering the question if the SHTF Police Stations and 'former' LEO will have 9MM on them) Note: I said former LEO because most of the LEO I know here will run and protect the family, and most don't live where they serve.

.40 is the third choice, since DHS has bought 1.6 Billion (THAT IS BILLION) rounds of them. When he SHTF, they are not going to hold on to say, 1/2 of that.

·
Registered
562 Posts
A repeating rifle in 22 LR.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts