Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to get my wife a SHTF carbine/long gun for her to have in the safe as a "go to gun" in case of a home invasion/intruder. I want her to have something that she can fall back to that is more formidable than her dedicated p32 that she will soon carry. :wink:

Here are some requirements:

- Lightweight. (She says that an AR is too heavy for her, as she is a fairly small lady.)
- Common caliber (can be rifle or pistol round)
- Easy operation
- Little kick/recoil (12ga is WAY out of the question, and I'm guessing that 20ga might be too)
- For an urban "bug in" environment
- Under $500

Does it exist? Your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I use a Mini-30 and love it; very little recoil, with aimpoint. Not sure if they are under $500, but very reliable, not heavy, great stopper.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I looked at the mini 30 a month ago. I remember seeing the stainless for around $700. The the sugested price is $800. But that doesnt mean you cant find one for $500, if you hunt hard.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Come to think of it a 6.5lb 20ga has about 30ft lbs of recoil. Thats more recoil thad almost any defenceive rifle. Even a .308 has far less recoil. So that expands your options. Rifle weight/size is you only nemisis there.

If you want light recoil, and a light rifle, in an urban enviroment. Why not try a .40 Kel-tec Sub2000? Its only 4.5lbs, ammo weight will be way less than a 7.62x39(same ammo capacity with less weight), and only around $300-$350.
The only question is range? I got one, cause there are no buildings over three storys in this town, and the building/foliage dencity is high.
I havnt yet fired my 9mm sub 2000 yet, so I cant realy coment on the functioning. But several members here own a Sub 2000. Mabe they can chime in?
The only problem I can see is that you might get one with a heavy trigger pull, or bad sights. But fear not, Kel Tec has a lifetime warrenty covering product defect!

·
Super Moderator
19,009 Posts
Costs more, but the Carbon series of AR's Bushmaster makes is fairly light.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Mrs. Airedale has a Bushmaster Carbon 15, 16" barrel, with collapsable stock. She has a dot mounted on it. It's her USPSA 3 gun rifle. It's lightweight and shoots well.

Dave

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
To fit your parameters,there are no such animals. Unless there isn't anyone else in the house that you could kill(innocents).

Shotgun with light loads of 6 or 7 1/2 shot,to me, come closest.

Light recoil AND light weapon AND under $5C. Hmmmmmm ??

And you did say "bug in environment". To me no .223 or 7.62X39 needed. -------

·
Registered
359 Posts
Find you a Rossi lever gun, carbine model in 357 mag,, spend a few dollars slick the action,, mount a scout scope base,, instal a Red dot of your choice, take her out and shoot it.

Only thing I have done with mine thats different is I enlarge the lever loop just a tad for ease of use, it rides in the truck ever day, and stays at home with the wife when I 'm gone, I keep it stoke with 145 grain silver tips and or 180 hard cast

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
well it may be a bit on the heavy side but.... ill chime in for an SKS paratrooper model , it balances well , has a simple manual of arms , and no one can really dobut its effectiveness even from the short barrel . the wife enjoys my para more than her fullsize sks

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
******* has a good idea. A used Ruger 77 in choice of caliber, with a 2-4x LER Tasco/Simmons/Bushnell scope, and chopping the barrel to 16-18" would work well also. I run a similar setup in .308 based on a Steyr Tactical. Fast, light, and softer than the Rem 700 PSS I traded off.

·
Registered
473 Posts
i have a sub 2000 9mm. excellent accuracy out to 70 yards(farthest i've really tried at). great capacity when equipped with 20 or 30 round mags.

mine has been totally reliable, except for a couple of failure to feeds in the first 25 rounds.

i recommend the stock extension if you buy the gun.
i glued part of an old recoil pad on the extension, and my wife can shoot it all day, as long as i load the mags, lol.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
The little berreta Cx4 storms are nice but it probably will weigh too much
Can't totally agree there Bud - I tend to regard mine as a pretty lightweight gun really - hang on - will weigh it -

Ok - 6 1/2# so not featherweight but - very totable IMO. Biggest downside I reckon is they are too darned costly!!

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
My Storm .45 weights in at 6lbs,6oz. with full length pic rail,red dot sight,and heavy duty,nylon sling.

But (gasp!!) only 9 shots. What if you have 10 BG's ??

P95, My hole's bigger than your hole I recon(?).

·
Super Moderator
22,197 Posts
I'd agree with Dave, one of the leverguns chambered in a pistol caliber. My preference is for the Trapper models in .45 Colt. But the .357 truly shines in a carbine.

·
Registered
866 Posts
m-1 carbine in .30 caliber carbine.....

hafta be a reproduction though as all the originals are way expensive...

(sorry I just sent mine out to Dad in Colorado, he needed a carbine in the cruiser and the Sheriff wouldn't buy one....)

:banana: :danceban:
(what about the Hi-Point carbines???)

·
Registered
376 Posts
If you're serious about home-defense - no substitute for a shotgun. Mossberg will cost you less than $200. I know plenty of small statured women who can shoot 100's of 12ga. rounds in a trap session. Just need to learn to live with the recoil - use a shoulder pad if needed. She'll get used to it.

Problem with most rifle cartridges is over-penetration and the god-awful noise. Shotgun will be loud - but will not be anywhere close to an SKS. Short rifles also have flash issues.

I would not recommend anything less than buckshot - I use single 0 - but 00 is also popular. Bird shot simply does not have the penetration necessary to reach the vitals. Contrary to popular belief - buckshot is not a big over-penetrator.

Not to say you don't want or need a rifle for more of a SHTF situation - but I would make the shotgun the priority.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts