Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I thought it would never happen, but I've got 1911 fever. I'm looking for a commander sized, all steel 1911. I can get Sigs for about 20% off retail. I know they've only been producing 1911s for about 6 years and they had some early QC issues. Anyone have experience with there newer ones? I'm specifically looking at the Nitron or SS Carry. This will be my three season (non summer) carry gun. Thanks

·
Administrator
143,828 Posts
They had some sporadic early extractor issues.
No longer a problem. I believe that SIG is now making both the frame and slide "in house" these days.
SIG has made a phenomenal investment in "state of the art" precision machine equipment.
I sure would carry one in a heartbeat now.
And absolutely I would go for a Commander length pistol.
The Nitron Carry is pretty much ideal. :yup:
I would have to go with a short trigger option though.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They had some sporadic early extractor issues.
No longer a problem. I believe that SIG is now making both the frame and slide "in house" these days.
SIG has made a phenomenal investment in "state of the art" precision machine equipment.
I sure would carry one in a heartbeat now.
And absolutely I would go for a Commander length pistol.
The Nitron Carry is pretty much ideal. :yup:
I would have to go with a short trigger option though.
Hi,

I never heard of the short trigger option. Can I order this option with the new gun? I know some 1911s have adjustable triggers. Can you elaborate? Thanks

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Products & Services

You know........I probably wouldn't have a SIG pistol today if it weren't for my quest for another 1911 model pistol a couple of years ago when I parted with my G30 as trade. Personally, I won't ever want to be without a pistol in 45acp. I did quite a bit of research into the then new GSR Revolution pistols, but didn't want to risk going into the new manufacture trials and tribulations. I settled for the P220R SAO instead. I even subscribed to sigforum to find out more about these pistols, and back in the day, I remember some minor problems with feeding from the magazines and some extractor issues with the carry models specifically. As QKShooter pointed out, I think most of the issues have been solved now and from what I've been led to understand in my minimal research of the subject now since I've got what I want out of SIG and am more than satisfied. The SRT (short reset) trigger is not an available option for my pistol since it's a single action model. Not sure what they are doing in the custom shop for the 1911 based carry models though. SIG has a nice website though, and customer service yields quick responses through email in my experience.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I settled for the P220R SAO instead.
:rofl: settled....that's a nice SIG you've settled for.

As for their 1911s, my local pistol pusher is becoming pretty enamored with them in their price range compared to some of their competitors. Not many fixes needed and they have a nice selection to choose from. I like the looks of the RCS Two-Tone and C3.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Specs say 1.4" wide...I thought 1911's were thinner than that typically?

1.4" wide and 38.8 oz un-loaded...that's a chunk to carry. Get a good gun belt.

·
Administrator
143,828 Posts
SIG will install and test a short 1911 trigger as one of their custom shop options.

Go to the Sig Sauer Firearms website.
You should see a custom shop block to clock on.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Sig did quality control immediately. The new ones function perfectly. They are however a tight gun and you should fire several hundred rounds as break in. Yhis is a fine choice that should be combined with a quality holster.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
FWIW, my g/f has a 2nd gen SIG GSR Revolution (stainless, full-sized 1911) that she shoots for IDPA. It went back once for extraction issues but has since run very well.

That said, Bruce Gray---who is a first rate SIG and 1911 gunsmith---does not recommend SIG 1911s to people. According to him, and I trust his judgment, there are some basic geometry issues with the SIG implementation of the 1911 design, and QC has come back down after peaking sometime in the 2nd gen guns.

We just sent my g/f's GSR in to Grayguns for a trigger job and a few other details. Bruce said basically that this was the highest quality GSR he has seen and worked on, and even then he had to replace the hammer because the hammer pivot hole was milled crooked, meaning the hammer traveled ever-so-slightly out of true.

I am a major SIGophile and my g/f loves her GSR, but all things considered I am not sure I could comfortably recommend the SIG 1911 as a primary carry gun. This is not to say that one can't find a GSR suitable for carry---ask Janq; he loves his---but it just seems a little too hit or miss for such an important safety tool in my opinion.

If you still decide to get one, just make sure you have plenty of time to test it out, break it in, and decide you really are comfortable with it. As for me, at this point I would probably look for a used CBOB as a carry gun if I wanted a 1911 for every day.

Good luck!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SIG will install and test a short 1911 trigger as one of their custom shop options.

Go to the Sig Sauer Firearms website.
You should see a custom shop block to clock on.
Thanks, I'll look into that.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FWIW, my g/f has a 2nd gen SIG GSR Revolution (stainless, full-sized 1911) that she shoots for IDPA. It went back once for extraction issues but has since run very well.

That said, Bruce Gray---who is a first rate SIG and 1911 gunsmith---does not recommend SIG 1911s to people. According to him, and I trust his judgment, there are some basic geometry issues with the SIG implementation of the 1911 design, and QC has come back down after peaking sometime in the 2nd gen guns.

We just sent my g/f's GSR in to Grayguns for a trigger job and a few other details. Bruce said basically that this was the highest quality GSR he has seen and worked on, and even then he had to replace the hammer because the hammer pivot hole was milled crooked, meaning the hammer traveled ever-so-slightly out of true.

I am a major SIGophile and my g/f loves her GSR, but all things considered I am not sure I could comfortably recommend the SIG 1911 as a primary carry gun. This is not to say that one can't find a GSR suitable for carry---ask Janq; he loves his---but it just seems a little too hit or miss for such an important safety tool in my opinion.

If you still decide to get one, just make sure you have plenty of time to test it out, break it in, and decide you really are comfortable with it. As for me, at this point I would probably look for a used CBOB as a carry gun if I wanted a 1911 for every day.

Good luck!
Thanks for your response. I think one of the reasons I'm looking at the Sig is the LEO discount I can get from my dealer. 10%off plus $100 rebate from Sig. I know there are better choices out there, but not at that price point, unless I look at used, which I probably wouldnt do since warranty is very important and I'm not very familiar with 1911s.

If I had a $1 for every time I hear the DW CBOB mentioned lately, I'd be rich. It must be a great gun and maybe something to consider.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
The 2 handguns that feel the best in my hand especially balance:

HK P2000
Kimber 1911 4" SIS

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 2 handguns that feel the best in my hand especially balance:

HK P2000
Kimber 1911 4" SIS
If I was to buy a Kimber it would be from the SIS line. Good choice!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Bruce Gray---who is a first rate SIG and 1911 gunsmith---does not recommend SIG 1911s to people. According to him, and I trust his judgment, there are some basic geometry issues with the SIG implementation of the 1911 design, and QC has come back down after peaking sometime in the 2nd gen guns.
That's unfortunate to hear... I had the opportunity to fondle a C3 right after I bought my DW CBOB, and I almost felt regret at getting the DW.

Almost. :smile:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts