Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm new to the board and I am strongly considering buying a Sig 229 in 40 cal. In a previous thread, I read this:
Dave James said:
Tank, remember two things,,SIG's run better a little wet, if your shooting a hell of a lot, lube heavy, the trw25 stuff works wonders,
and never ever clean from the muzzle, or use any stainless steel brushes on them.

I have carried and shot the hell out of SIG's for better than 30 years, they are a great handgun
Why do you say not to clean it with a stainless steel brush?

I have a S&W 906 in 9mm that I have cleaned with the brush for 7 years and I have never noticed a problem. Is this just something with a Sig or should you not ever clean a gun with a stainless steal brush?

thanks for the help.

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
My understanding, (and I got this from Les Baer, Chuck Larsen of Rock River Arms, Ross Carter of Carter's Custom Weapons and Irv Stone of Bar-Sto Barrels,) is that stainless steel brushes are to hard for the bore. They will scratch or pit the barrel.

Always use phosphor bronze brushes for long barrel life.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Acp hit it and its a hard topic to get a true answer on.. for sure back in the 50's and 60's and before the barrel was softer than the stainless steel..

No a days i don't know if its still true or not

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I've always used the PB brushes, if nothing else they seem to be easier to find. As far as not cleaning from the muzzle, I've heard that too: you should always clean from the breach direction. The problem is, that's not always possible... how do you get a rod into the breech of a std. revolver? Sometimes ya' just gotta do what ya' gotta do.

BTW, welcome to the Forum. The Sig 229 is a great weapon and buying the .40 cal. you'll have the option of converting to .357Sig. Let us know what you decide to buy and how it works for you.
Jack

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Welcome :smile:

I would say with SS brushes - judicious use only.

There are times when if having had to delead - that a single pass with an SS brush can finish the job but yes, PB brushes are best if possible. I have found SS very handy to use in revo chambers now and again to deal with something like a persistent burn ring from 38 in 357 for example.

Mind you barrels now are made from good materials and if brush can rotate to follow the twist then I doubt much harm will occur. Opinion does vary quite a bit!

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
maclean3 said:
I've always used the PB brushes, if nothing else they seem to be easier to find. As far as not cleaning from the muzzle, I've heard that too: you should always clean from the breach direction. The problem is, that's not always possible... how do you get a rod into the breech of a std. revolver? Sometimes ya' just gotta do what ya' gotta do.

BTW, welcome to the Forum. The Sig 229 is a great weapon and buying the .40 cal. you'll have the option of converting to .357Sig. Let us know what you decide to buy and how it works for you.
Jack
2 words

Bore Snake

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
P95Carry said:
Welcome :smile:

I would say with SS brushes - judicious use only.

There are times when if having had to delead - that a single pass with an SS brush can finish the job but yes, PB brushes are best if possible. I have found SS very handy to use in revo chambers now and again to deal with something like a persistent burn ring from 38 in 357 for example.

Mind you barrels now are made from good materials and if brush can rotate to follow the twist then I doubt much harm will occur. Opinion does vary quite a bit!
I like nylon brushes chucked in a drill to clean the chambers

·
Super Moderator
25,537 Posts
I see the brush question has been answerred, just want to add that if you get the 229 I think you'll like it. SIG makes a great weapon. And, if you want a little change you can get a factory 357 SIG barrel for your 229.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Bore snakes and power drills? Where's your sense of tradition Bud? You're missing out on all the dinged knuckles and cussing! :wink:
Jack

·
Registered
104 Posts
I love my Sig 229:dupell:

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
maclean3 said:
Bore snakes and power drills? Where's your sense of tradition Bud? You're missing out on all the dinged knuckles and cussing! :wink:
Jack
What he said. :yup:

Not to mention the occassional cut from a feed ramp.:embarassed:

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Sig 229 (357) good gun. Fed bad shooter, LOL. Stainless steel brushes, bad ju-ju. Not in my gun, only a brass brush for my issued (sad face here) baby.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts