Defensive Carry banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, a little background. My reloading experience ranges about 40 years. I've been looking for small pistol primers, and finally had to settle for some Wolf (Russian) small pistol primers.

I worked up several loads, using for the first time, lead bullets in 9mm as apposed to metal cased bullets.

I brought my 239 to the range and fired 100 rounds of this ammo, all with the Wolf primers.
The gun suffered failure to fire because of light primer strikes on approximately 10% of the ammo. Each time, the round fired on the second strike. I'm positive the primers were properly seated, and I have nver had this happen with any other primers.

Prior to using the Wolf primers, I have never had any failures of any kind with my Sig 239.

What are your thoughts? Ammo.....Gun?

·
Registered
11,107 Posts
The only variable that changed is your use of Wolf primers. I would chalk it up to them. Russians have typically used hard primers in their rifle ammo, due to free floating firing pins on the AK and SKS - not sure if the pistol primers are on the hard side as well.

Just to be sure, fire some factory loads and see if there are any issues.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
The only variable that changed is your use of Wolf primers. I would chalk it up to them. Russians have typically used hard primers in their rifle ammo, due to free floating firing pins on the AK and SKS - not sure if the pistol primers are on the hard side as well.

Just to be sure, fire some factory loads and see if there are any issues.
+1 on that analysis... And I agree to try firing both some factory rounds as well as some reloads using another brand of primer if you can get some.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts