Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,699 Posts
Many people have advocated selling the two guns on your own, but no one has taken into account the $75 each you may have had to pay to ship the two guns to a buyer. Granted, you would not have incurred shipping costs if you sold them face to face, but as you have already stated, private gun sales in NY are very difficult.

I go with the camp that says if you have something you want, and have gotten rid of something you no longer need, or want, you did fine. I have never heard of anyone taking ammunition in trade, outside of a private sale, so you did well just getting someone to take the old ammunition.

Good luck with your new P938. Which version did you get?

·
Premium Member
7,129 Posts
Both Gramps and I have traded guns we didn't like (or hated), or that we no longer used, for something we did want and would use. In every case we lost money. But we got what we wanted. We are not of the temperament to dicker.

The one time I sold a gun locally, the gun, holster and other accessories in the package had cost me around $800. I asked $600 and accepted the ONLY offer I got, which was for $500. It was a really nice fellow in our shooting group and I did not feel a bit bad that he got a great deal. I got rid of the gun which I could no longer use and Gramps didn't want.

·
Registered
8,419 Posts
BeeBee

I did a similar deal a few months back. Traded a Kahr PM9 and a G22 for a Glock 43 for my wife. I was not entranced with either of these pistols that had been sitting in my gun safe for the past couple of years. I tried listing the G22 and did not even get a nibble. Was it a great deal? Nope. But it was easy and my wife is happy and finally has a pistol she will carry most of the time.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
BeeBee

I did a similar deal a few months back. Traded a Kahr PM9 and a G22 for a Glock 43 for my wife. I was not entranced with either of these pistols that had been sitting in my gun safe for the past couple of years. I tried listing the G22 and did not even get a nibble. Was it a great deal? Nope. But it was easy and my wife is happy and finally has a pistol she will carry most of the time.
exactly... thanks for sharing , its a common tale it would seem!... bob

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Many people have advocated selling the two guns on your own, but no one has taken into account the $75 each you may have had to pay to ship the two guns to a buyer. Granted, you would not have incurred shipping costs if you sold them face to face, but as you have already stated, private gun sales in NY are very difficult.

I go with the camp that says if you have something you want, and have gotten rid of something you no longer need, or want, you did fine. I have never heard of anyone taking ammunition in trade, outside of a private sale, so you did well just getting someone to take the old ammunition.

Good luck with your new P938. Which version did you get?
Its a Nitron.. In other words, dull flat black over drab ugly flat black.. meh, looks like my Shield, no "pizazz".. However, 99.99 percent of its life, it will be shrouded in a holster and covered up in clothing. Yes I wanted a "cool looking" Sig with 2 tone and rosewood grips, but grabbed what he had in the display case instead of ordering a flashy one for probably a higher price.. Its fine as is.. maybe someday I'll change the grips or something, I dunno... bob

·
Premium Member
3,967 Posts
Its a Nitron.. In other words, dull flat black over drab ugly flat black.. meh, looks like my Shield, no "pizazz".. However, 99.99 percent of its life, it will be shrouded in a holster and covered up in clothing. Yes I wanted a "cool looking" Sig with 2 tone and rosewood grips, but grabbed what he had in the display case instead of ordering a flashy one for probably a higher price.. Its fine as is.. maybe someday I'll change the grips or something, I dunno... bob
Swapping the grips will probably jazz it up more than enough. As for the rest of it in black, with the right stocks it'll look pretty sexy I bet. To be honest, I'm not a 2 tone guy anyway.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I can't say much about the trade. I got a P938 for SUPER cheap on clearance. It makes the regular price look insane to me. But, holy cow, it's one of the nicest slim form factor 9's out there.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I can't say much about the trade. I got a P938 for SUPER cheap on clearance. It makes the regular price look insane to me. But, holy cow, it's one of the nicest slim form factor 9's out there.
Jeez, i never saw one of these things on clearance, same as my wife;s 238... Full freight everywhere we looked... i could have gotten one a little cheaper online, but then I have to ship it depending on who I bought from, plus add $50 for FFL fees etc.. I will probably see a $399 "blowout sale" on these guns next week ... bob

·
Registered
438 Posts
Jeez, i never saw one of these things on clearance, same as my wife;s 238... Full freight everywhere we looked... i could have gotten one a little cheaper online, but then I have to ship it depending on who I bought from, plus add $50 for FFL fees etc.. I will probably see a $399 "blowout sale" on these guns next week ... bob
A shop around me that's mainly a pawn shop had too much stuff not moving, so I picked one up for about $300 + tax OTD. Worth every penny and more.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
A shop around me that's mainly a pawn shop had too much stuff not moving, so I picked one up for about $300 + tax OTD. Worth every penny and more.
pawn shops are illegal in NY state, like just about everything else... that is an unheard of pretty much once in a lifetime buy you got, and one of those things were you MUST buy, even if you aren't in the market. fantastic deal!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
If a gun just sits around in the house because you don't want to carry it, its unpleasant to shoot or whatever reason, let it go. You did get hosed a bit but as a former prisoner of the Peoples Republic of New York I understand your situation all to well. You have a gun you like and will use now so be happy with it.

·
Registered
438 Posts
pawn shops are illegal in NY state, like just about everything else... that is an unheard of pretty much once in a lifetime buy you got, and one of those things were you MUST buy, even if you aren't in the market. fantastic deal!
I might have also accidentally got an LCR for $200 also... Yeah. There were some awesome deals to be had.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I got lucky and inherited my wife's 938 when she could no longer shoot it (because she cannot rack it) after a finger injury that still gives her problems after 3 years. Technically it's still in her name. And Technically I did buy her a 238, which is easier to rack for petite women who've hurt their fingers, and that gun is technically mine. All the same household, so no matter.

If the chance to exchange my Shield 40 and some ammo for ANOTHER 938 came up, I'd take it. I've got a couple thousand rounds of 40 that see little use, because I'm not fond of the shield in 40 cal. So yeah, I'd do it, even though I already have one. IMHO, they are that good, and that sweet shooting, and coupled with the fact that I can no longer buy a NIB 938 in Kali, yeah, I'd go for it.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I got lucky and inherited my wife's 938 when she could no longer shoot it (because she cannot rack it) after a finger injury that still gives her problems after 3 years. Technically it's still in her name. And Technically I did buy her a 238, which is easier to rack for petite women who've hurt their fingers, and that gun is technically mine. All the same household, so no matter.

If the chance to exchange my Shield 40 and some ammo for ANOTHER 938 came up, I'd take it. I've got a couple thousand rounds of 40 that see little use, because I'm not fond of the shield in 40 cal. So yeah, I'd do it, even though I already have one. IMHO, they are that good, and that sweet shooting, and coupled with the fact that I can no longer buy a NIB 938 in Kali, yeah, I'd go for it.
Interesting.. When I take our 238 and 938 side by side and rack the slides, there isn't much of a difference.. I would say that perhaps the 938 is a tiny bit stiffer, but its also brand new, and the 238 has hundreds of rounds through her.. My wife could no longer rack her LCP Custom so we traded it, but can still rack her 238, and the new 938.. She says she can feel a slight difference,.. me, not so much.. Very slight . In any case, I have NEVER seen any 9mm semi with an easier slide than the 938... bob

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
Well, the way I see it, you paid $200 and wished to only pay $100.
Splitting the difference is $50.
Was it worth that to get the gun you wanted, when you wanted and without the hassle of selling them yourself?
Bet it was.

Don't you feel better now?:image035:
Was this at a pawn shop? Bottom line - don't do business with that guy, he is too good. It's his job to screw people and this was not an epic screwing. Likely just average for him. Same thing if he is the lgs owner.

Bottom bottom line: You got rid of pretty much useless stuff and got what you wanted. :king: It ain't that bad:smile:

Go out and shoot your new gun you will feel much better in the morning. This is spelt milk. Why dwell on it? And besides. I don't know Selling guns stuff in New York so how can I judge? Me? I'da driven to Chicago, found a gang flush with drug money and relieved them of some of it for premium dollars in trade. Then waited to hear about how the guns and ammo accidentally killed some little kids and their mothers.

See? It could be lots worse.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Sixty perent of book is also common around here. BTW, my 938 is also an all black BRG and is commonly my carry gun. As such, for me, it is a tool and blends in nicely with a black polo shirt. I guess I don't really get hung up over looks on a carry piece.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Sixty perent of book is also common around here. BTW, my 938 is also an all black BRG and is commonly my carry gun. As such, for me, it is a tool and blends in nicely with a black polo shirt. I guess I don't really get hung up over looks on a carry piece.
Yeah, I TRY not to, but I just love the look of the two tone with rosewood, or even better lookers such as the Kimber Micro 9.. However usually common sense wins out.. My wife has the 238 in Desert Sand, and everyone freaks over it, so perhaps thats why i like the cool look.. so others can drool over something I have.. Makes no sense, and is actually childish, but all else being equal, I WOULD have preferred a cooler looking gun.. However, as I said earlier in this thread, I was not prepared to pay a premium just for the look... bob

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Don't let this "childish" thing get to you. I'm 67 and my hero is Peter Pan. "I won't grow up I won't". I tried that adult thing and it's not nearly as much fun.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I always said I'd never get rid of any guns even if I didn't like them. Then I realized I had amassed a collection of "safe queens" that never saw the light of day in a few years. One for example, a Kimber Ultra Carry 2. I really disliked that gun so I always just planned on passing it down to my kids one day.

But the wife insisted on taking my p238 for her conceal carry gun. She loved it and it was the only small gun she had confidence in, happy wife happy life. So I needed another p238 because it was my deep concealment and one of my favorite carry guns for summer. Wife put in my head to perhaps trade the Kimber in for one instead of buying one out right. I shot it down because "I'm not in the market of getting rid of guns." FYI she's always been supportive of my hobbies and has never given me hell about bringing home a new gun.

Well I eventually decided it wasn't a bad idea and the LGS had the p238 scorpion I wanted for $600. They offered me $550 in trade and I walked out a happy man. Sure I had some buyers(traders) remorse for awhile seeing as how the Kimber was a $750 gun new... but I ended up getting what I wanted and everyone walked away happy. Could I have sold it myself for more? Sure, but in 20 mins I got my p238 back and cleared room in the safe for another gun!!

21 - 40 of 44 Posts