Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a P226 with the DA/SA trigger. First, I love this gun. Second, are there some drills I could do to help me transition from the DA to the next shots in SA?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
19,448 Posts
Just shooting it is the best drill. I suggest 2 shots at a time - not double-taps, but 2 discrete shots, then decock, and repeat. You get a lot of 'transition' practice that way. And don't fall into the mindset that the first shot is a throwaway because of the DA-to-SA shift!

·
Registered
319 Posts
I don't know why, and this may be really weird to some and puzzling to me, but I have found my first shot DA (sig229) is more accurate than my second (SA) shot!!! My usual carry is a 1911 which makes it even more a puzzler to me.

·
Registered
18,748 Posts
Just shooting it is the best drill. I suggest 2 shots at a time - not double-taps, but 2 discrete shots, then decock, and repeat. You get a lot of 'transition' practice that way. And don't fall into the mindset that the first shot is a throwaway because of the DA-to-SA shift!
Sound advice. Take it and do it. Anything can be accomplished with the right technique. And that is it.

Reactions: Doghandler

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Looks like we're all on the same page so far at least.

That DA trigger will get better with use but the cartoonish character will never go away. It ain't no revolver. :image035: You'll just have to get used to it.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I don't know why, and this may be really weird to some and puzzling to me, but I have found my first shot DA (sig229) is more accurate than my second (SA) shot!!! My usual carry is a 1911 which makes it even more a puzzler to me.
How fast are you shooting? I see that sometimes when the first shot breaks just as the sights are "on target". In the split second before the next shot you make subconscious adjustments to grip and sight alignment or something like that.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
That really good advice because it incorporates decocker training too which is just as important as trigger control in my mind.

Decock forward slide stop rear!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I picked up a P226 with the DA/SA trigger. First, I love this gun. Second, are there some drills I could do to help me transition from the DA to the next shots in SA?

Thanks
I also have a P226 that I practice with. Another DC member, Tangle, told me that in a gunfight three shots are usually fired which means that one third of your practice shots should be in DA. I usually shoot 15 to 20 rounds straight in DA only. Now, believe or not, my DA groupings are better than the DA/SA shots. I think that is because the trigger squeeze is longer in DA and I don't rush the shot (which is a surprise when it breaks). I have more confidence in my DA shot than any other!

·
Registered
37,006 Posts
Bingo! Learn to shoot DA. Then the following SA becomes all the easier. People who complain they can't gat the DA/SA thing haven't tried.

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Super Moderator
18,492 Posts
Bingo! Learn to shoot DA. Then the following SA becomes all the easier. People who complain they can't gat the DA/SA thing haven't tried.

This! Oh and what gasmitty, and Glockman10mm say.

I don't have any DA/SA pistols on hand but am warming up to the notion the more I consider it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts