Defensive Carry banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been pondering this issue for quite a few months... What do most people prefer, to carry comfortably or to carry and have more firing capacity?

I have an M11-A1 that I think is a phenomenal firearm, its reliable, accurate and I can hit targets well beyond 11 yards. I love the fact that its got such a low recoil and is such perfect made gun but recently I heard this statement, "every round is a potential lawsuit" and it has me thinking...

When I took my conceal carry class, the instructors–both LE instructors, emphasized having capacity and accuracy, the idea that a longer barrel creates better accuracy for many, which I sorta find true.

I had a P938 awhile back and couldnt hit anything accurately at 11 yards so I sold it... Since then, I was told most confrontations that will lead to firearm use are usually within 7 yards so I bought another 938. The 938s weight is nice, its so easy to wear but I worry about my accuracy with it beyond 7 yards; is it a matter or range time?

In AZ, our summers get 105°+ and I would really like to make the 938 my EDC but I have apprehensions because I can't really do well with it beyond 7 yards. Do I suck it up? Do I get used to carrying the M11? I know I can trust the M11 in any scenario, its just the weight and size that throws me off from carrying it daily.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Well, I carry a P229 and a P938 most days. Doesn't matter if it's 100deg or 20deg.

Like you, I'm not nearly as good a shot with the 938 as I am with the 229. But both serve a clear purpose as primary and backup.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
More practice. That said, I do all my practice at 7 yards unless I'm screwing around. Sometimes when you switch between platforms (for example DA/SA to SAO) you have to go back to basics and work on your trigger pull.

I'll add that those compact SIG triggers are surprisingly heavy for being 1911 derivatives. I have a Star BM with a very similar trigger design to the P938, but it's probly 2 lbs less pull. I'm sure SIG did that so it's harder to shoot yourself while digging the gun out of your pocket, but IMO they overcompensated it a bit.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
The 938 is a great pistol. You lost me on "potential lawsuit".

Reactions: Eric357

·
Registered
280 Posts
Is it not axiomatic, police or civilian, that "every round is a potential lawsuit?" If this has you overly concerned and beginning to outthink yourself, I would re-consider carrying altogether. This very issue is what has resulted in officers failing to react or slow to react and it gets themselves and others into trouble. Is it not true to say that ever time I turn the key of my car's ignition and drive off that that's a potential lawsuit? I suggest not overthinking things. Just continue to train and practice.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I qualified last year for my LEOSA permit with a Sig P938 Extreme.The course is our standard BLET 50 rounder with targets out to 25 yards for day and 15 for night. Had no difficulty shooting in the lower 90's for day and upper 90's for night. Those pesky progressive bifocals give me a fit shooting prone at 25 yards.:image035: The P938 can be very accurate out to 25 yards although I cannot envision any situation where I would need to be engaging any target at that distance in real life. Did not have any rounds outside the black on a standard B-27 target. Now, I shoot this pistol regularly and it fits my hand so I don't consider myself at a disadvantage with 8 in the gun and a 7 round spare mag. It's also very easy to carry at 20 ozs. loaded. If you choose the P938 you have made a good one.:smile:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My original plan when I got the 938 was to use it for personal carry and use the M11-A1 for home security. I know a lot of people that would say "well the M11 can do both" but at 30+ ozs when loaded, it can be a bit like a brick on my hip... Granted, I live in AZ and it seems like the majority of people carry larger firearms but for in the car and such, I really think the 938 has a significant purpose. I am gonna spend more range time this week with it and see how it goes, it really is a solid made little pistol!

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I pocket carry the 938 during the week. It has been a great pistol the last 3 to 4 years that I have had it. I have also carried as back up when carrying on the weekend.

Reactions: AZMacaw

·
Registered
3 Posts
You could try the Hogue grips for the P938. I find the palm swell from that grip makes the gun feel larger in the hand than it really is. If you're one of those people that has difficulty with slim grips, the added thickness of that grip may help. I am not one of those people, but I find the P938 a pleasure to shoot with that grip. My primary issue with that gun is the firm and tiny safety. I am not confident that I would reliably disengage it under extreme stress.

Speaking of lawsuits, what are the chances you will feel threatened enough to draw on someone at 10+ yards much less shoot at them? There is a reason why most self-defense encounters happen within 7 yards. Not sure how often it happens beyond that, but it has to be pretty small.

·
Banned
1,972 Posts
I love my sig 320

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
My original plan when I got the 938 was to use it for personal carry and use the M11-A1 for home security. I know a lot of people that would say "well the M11 can do both" but at 30+ ozs when loaded, it can be a bit like a brick on my hip... Granted, I live in AZ and it seems like the majority of people carry larger firearms but for in the car and such, I really think the 938 has a significant purpose.

I am gonna spend more range time this week with it and see how it goes, it really is a solid made little pistol!
More range time is always great but don't expect to conquer the 938 in a week. Actually, I KNOW you don't expect that but I'm just trying to underline the point.
Just keep working at it until you get where you feel you need to be with it. Then, keep working at it some more. It "takes as long as it takes."

And also, if you ever decide to ditch that M11A1 - I'm your Huckleberry ! :headbang:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You could try the Hogue grips for the P938. I find the palm swell from that grip makes the gun feel larger in the hand than it really is. If you're one of those people that has difficulty with slim grips, the added thickness of that grip may help. I am not one of those people, but I find the P938 a pleasure to shoot with that grip. My primary issue with that gun is the firm and tiny safety. I am not confident that I would reliably disengage it under extreme stress.

Speaking of lawsuits, what are the chances you will feel threatened enough to draw on someone at 10+ yards much less shoot at them? There is a reason why most self-defense encounters happen within 7 yards. Not sure how often it happens beyond that, but it has to be pretty small.
Yeah, I am gonna get the Hogue's, they do make a significant difference—especially if you have larger hands, which I do. As for the safety on it, I have no issue, its very convenient and works well in my opinion.

As for distance... I have leg problems that prevent me from fleeing so if the situation ever presented itself, I would have to stand my ground. That being said, I would prefer a firearm that gives me a bit more room between a criminal and myself.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
More range time is always great but don't expect to conquer the 938 in a week. Actually, I KNOW you don't expect that but I'm just trying to underline the point.
Just keep working at it until you get where you feel you need to be with it. Then, keep working at it some more. It "takes as long as it takes."

And also, if you ever decide to ditch that M11A1 - I'm your Huckleberry ! :headbang:

This is my second 938, and I simply am not good with that small of a pistol, my hands don't handle it well, even with the Hogue rubbers which I used on my previous 938 and will probably use on this one.

LOL!! Yeah, the M11-A1 is a great gun—as dependable as a Golden Retriever and accurate!

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I have probably almost 2,000 rounds through my 938 with Hogue rubber grips. At 25 yards it is more than combat accurate for me. As others have said, it's just a matter of practice. As for EDC, it kinda funny. I have a couple other "carry guns" but when I go to grab" one from the selection, I almost always gravitate towards the 938.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Which gun are you willing to bet your LIFE on ?

You have to survive a gunfight in order to worry about potential lawsuits. Just my .02 but I'd be carrying your M11-A1 if I were you.

I live in Florida and this 229R 9MM is my current primary .....

........... and my BUG S&W 442

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'm almost as accurate with my 938 as I am with my G19. At 7 yards, I'm putting 50 rounds in a 2.5-3 inch pattern and obliterating the bulls-eye with the G19, but that is with a CT laser. With the 938, I'm more like a 3.5-4 inch pattern, but no laser. I'm not sure how well I'd do at 11 yards, but I'm pretty sure most shots would hit center mass on a human sized target. Add some adrenaline, and who knows what will happen.

I prefer my 938 to all my other smaller guns. It's the one I'm likely to grab first, then remember that it's my dress up gun and not my knock-around gun. My XDs and my G19 are for when I'm at home working on some project or another where it might get scratched up. The 938 is the Equinox version, and I like to keep it nice looking, so it only comes along if I'm not fiddling in dirt, rolling around under the RV, fixing a fence, etc. The Block 19 was never meant to be purty...:smile::smile::smile:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts