Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there carry a Sig p220 concealed? I thought it would be a little to big but I have a buddy who is about 5ft 6 and weighs about 150 and he carries one all the time IWB and I can't spot it even when I know he has it on. I had been carring a Glock 26 but I really like the 220 so I gave it a try and it works pretty good . I have been using a Don Hume IWB but I think since it works out so good I am going to go ahead and order a Sparks summer special or a heritage .

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Sky - fear not!! If rig and dress are made to suit it is a breeze. I actually use my 226 ST as EDC but can just as easily slip the 220 into the K&D rig.

In fact the 220 is lighter than the 226 ST - but is a pleasure to shoot and an ideal carry gun. Many folks can carry full size even when they think otherwise.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
The P220 was to light for me so I carry the P220ST, P226ST or a full size steel 1911. :22a:

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
New Sig P220 Carry Guns

Many of you may know this already, but Sig recently came out with a new series of P220 pistols modified for easier carry. They have a shorter barrel length (3.9 inches) and improvements like radical dehorning to eliminate snagging on clothing. They weigh about the same as an aluminum framed 1911 with 4 inch barrel. I have attached a photo of the P220 Carry SAS, an attractive item in this series.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I am selling my GLOCK 26 so that I can buy my Uncle's SIG 220. I find the 220 not really any more difficult to conceal than the 26 for some reason. I know it sounds crazy, but I find the 220 just as comfortable. I'll get a Comp-Tac C.T.A.C. for it and it should carry real nice.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its funny after I posted the above about the 220 I ran into the guy I was telling you about and just for fun I asked him how long he had been carring his 220 he said " well I have had to send it back to Sig twice to have it refinished because I had worn the finish off carrying it"

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
Those SAS sure are nicely done and beautiful too.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I carry my two tone or my West German made 220 occaisonally in a Galco summer special type holster IWB, no problem at all.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
They definitely are lighter than they appear.
Ahh yes indeed but - with 7+1 x 230 grain messengers - they feel MUCH better :wink:

Another 4 ounces!

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Oh OK sorry - 230 and some grains heavier then! :wink:

·
Registered
698 Posts
I carried the P-220ST for about a year before trading it for one of my Wilson 1911's. It was a good gun but man was it heavy. Very accurate with, the then available, Federal 230gr. EFMJ's. Mine came with the 8 round factory mags. I also had a P-245 that was part of the same trade. Now that is one gun I wisk I had kept.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went ahead and called Sparks and ordered a Heritage for my P220
today now all I have to do is wait 14 weeks! I guess my Don Hume will have to do till then.

P220s Rock!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
I carried a P220 for about 15 years, on duty and off. Great gun. I like high ride pancake holsters or IWB for plain clothes carry.

Jungle Work

·
Registered
6 Posts
My last 8 years as a county police sgt I carried a 220 in an alessi talon holster with two spare mags and with shorts and a polo shirt untucked(the style here in annapolis md.) no one ever knew even the officers who worked with me. it can be done and is easy

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I love my 220, and carry it in an IWB holster made by Rhome, another combatcarry .com member. I usually carry a Glock 23 or 30, but the Sig is such a great gun, I gotta carry it sometimes too!

·
Registered
210 Posts
tex45acp mentioned having a P245 he wishes he'd kept. It's worth noting in this P220 discussion that the P245 is nothing more than a "chopped" P220. The barrel/slide length is 3.9" (just like the new P220 Carry) but the standard grip or butt is about a 1/2" shorter. Standard magazine is 6 rounds but you can get Sig factory 8 round mags that also extend the butt/grip to full length.

This gun is no longer in production but many NIB guns remain on the shelves around the country. (I got mine with Siglite sights for $620 OTD...but without the Ilaflon finish). The P245 slide width (like the P220) is about the same as the slide on a 1911-perhaps just a smidge wider. (Remember, this is a single stack gun). Unloaded weight (with mag) is about 30 ozs.

I've had mine for several months now and I've become a huge fan. In terms of accuracy, it compares very favorably with my series "1" Kimber Custom Compact (< 2.5" five shot groups off a bench at 25 yards) but it weighs a bit less.

Of course, the new P220 Carry looks pretty hard to resist...Guess you lays down your $ and you makes your choice!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts