Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already have a P226 Stainless Elite in .40 S&W and I am considering a P229 Stainless Elite that is also in .40 S&W. The barrel and grip is shorter and it seems that the slide and frame are thicker on the P229 over the P226. This P229 kind of reminds me of Berettas model 92 compact which is just slightly smaller than a full size 92 so its hard to consider it being a compact pistol. Is there any major advantages to having this P229 when I already have the P226?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Unless you are looking for a slightly smaller gun to carry, I don’t think so. Both are great guns though.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Went through the same thoughts and decided there isn’t. It really isn’t enough smaller to matter IMHO.

Reactions: Melvin

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I think the advantage would be that you would then have two premium Sig handguns that where produced in lesser numbers and will likely be collectible. Now is probably a sweet spot for buying those as they are still available for decent pricing but likely to become sought after in the future.

I would like one in 9mm myself to send to The Sig Armorer for action work.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unless you are looking for a slightly smaller gun to carry, I don’t think so. Both are great guns though.
Went through the same thoughts and decided there isn’t. It really isn’t enough smaller to matter IMHO.
As I think about it I am beginning to agree with both of you. I guess if I can get a great deal on it I might get the P229 but otherwise I may go ahead and pass on it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the advantage would be that you would then have two premium Sig handguns that where produced in lesser numbers and will likely be collectible. Now is probably a sweet spot for buying those as they are still available for decent pricing but likely to become sought after in the future.

I would like one in 9mm myself to send to The Sig Armorer for action work.
Yes the collectible aspect can be a consideration as well. I will have to think about that.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
I have had both. Even though the size difference isn’t much, I found the 229 better for carry. For me the difference cam when sitting or driving. I shot them both the same level of accuracy.
But I do still carry a full size 220 from time to time. So big guns don’t bother me that much.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Yes the collectible aspect can be a consideration as well. I will have to think about that.
I think it is a case of right now being the easiest and least expensive time to acquire one.

Some people do not like to sink money into guns that they do not really need and I can understand that. These are not inexpensive either. If you are not one that wishes to grow their gun collection, you could still buy it and see which one you like best. The least favorite could be sold now or just tucked away to sell at some later date.

·
Registered
8,406 Posts
I have two P229s, a Legion and an M11-A1, and they are great pistols. I sent my M11-A1 to Sig to have them do an "action enhancement." Nice results.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think it is a case of right now being the easiest and least expensive time to acquire one.

Some people do not like to sink money into guns that they do not really need and I can understand that. These are not inexpensive either. If you are not one that wishes to grow their gun collection, you could still buy it and see which one you like best. The least favorite could be sold now or just tucked away to sell at some later date.
Yes that's true. SIG pistols can be great investment pieces. If I decided I did not want the P229 I could at the very least get the money back that put in to buy it. With it being a stainless elite and having a reasonable price on it at the moment I would not be over paying to get it. I am pretty sure I could make extra money if I hold on to it and sell it sometime in the future assuming that I end up wanting to sell it. Reminds me of the new in box Norinco MAK-90 that I purchased for $180 back in 1993 just before imports from Norinco got banned. I never fired it over the time I had it and just sold it last year for $1200! :biggrin2:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I have a Glock 32 in Canada (Confusing) it has not been fired. The slide is just stamped .357! Glock not wanting to put SIG on their slide I guess. A buddy of mine is going to end up with it, the paperwork to get it to Orlando, horrendous. Plus I only have 9mm's and a couple of .380s. Plus a 22 magnum from KelTec.
30 rounds of .22Mag. I think a magazine of that could cause a bit of an upset!

Orlando Police have Sig 226s, had them for years. They still seem happy?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
With the magazines in place, these two weapons are about the same height. The P229 frame is notably thicker, in the decocker area, enough to annoy me. I actually bought P229 pistols, because they were authorized duty weapons, at the time. (The P226 was added to the list, later.) As I see it, the P229 is a full-sized duty pistol, with what was, in its time, a relatively slightly shorter barrel and slide, NOT a compact pistol.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I have both a p226 Legion and p229 Legion in 9mm, and I went through the same thought process before I picked up the p229. I can tell you that for me, there is enough difference to make a difference, if you plan to carry the gun. I’m glad I got both.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I have both a P229 and a P226 both chambered in 357 Sig. You loose no capacity dropping to the 229 however it is a slightly more concealable weapon it’s a touch thicker in the grip as the magazine is stacked differently. As for the compact vs the full-size SigSauer kind of started that when they brought about the p228 as a compact weapon also the G19 would be a compact weapon. For some of us the compacts are the perfect balance I can carry one in t shirt and shorts and still have a service caliber weapon large enough to be effective and useable at all the tasks I would put a handgun into while being easy to shoot.

ETA: I would if I could only have one choose the 229/228 depending on caliber options. As for which I use the 229 gets used all the time the 226 basically sets in the safe.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
The P229 is probably thicker because it was built around the .40 S&W round. They are awesome handguns. It's not a huge difference in size, but enough to make me carry my P229 over my P226 (when I had a P226, still have the P229). The P229 is kinda GLOCK 19ish in size. The P226 is more GLOCK 17ish in size.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts