Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Ive really been looking hard at sig. Ive shot a few and I must say, I really like them! My question is this............I like the 229 better then the 239 but. If I decide to CCW the gun I think Id have a harder time with the 229. What do you guys thing? Also for those who own 229s How do you like them?? And what a good OWB hoster set up??

·
Registered
686 Posts
BigE,

There are a bunch of people on the board who own Sigs. Chris (P95Carry) and Tangle comes to mind. I know Chris carries a Sig 226 in 9mm, not sure what Tangle's got these days.

I'm getting ready to join the ranks of Sig owners, I've got my 229 Equinox on order from Sig at my local shop, and I'm waiting on paperwork and stuff now, boo NJ...

Anyway...there are a bunch of nice holster makers who log on regularly, and their links can be found on the site. Kevin, from K&D, makes a nice OWB rig from what I've seen, althoiugh Gary makes a nice holsters also.

--Jim

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 239..........there IS no better handgun IMO :smile:
I have an FNP-9 which is prob close to the 229 in size, but for all around versatility, the Sig 239 wins. I use a Kramer scabbard OWB and it just melds into my side with it. The 239 is a med sized gun so you get good concealability, and good accuracy.
The thing is.......you'll prob have 2 or 3 or more guns in the future so
it doesn't really matter does it? :image035:

My next pistol? prob a 229 :)

·
Registered
737 Posts
The 239 is a fairly slim single stack, I like it for CCW because of that. You still have 8+1 rounds of 9mm at your disposal, and it's extremely accurate. If I couldn't carry my Colt I'd be perfectly comfortable with a 239.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Jim is right yes - I carry a 226ST and so cannot really comment on the smaller guns - I have tried both and am not really sure which way I'd go.

Maybe the 239 would win but then I am a 9mm carrier anyways. The 229 SAS is an appealing gun if .40 is your flavor but I suspect cost is way up there. Can't see you being dissatisfied with a 239 at all, if you are looking for compact.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I don't think you will go wrong with either one, especially if you are going to carry OWB. Although it isn't a compact, the 229 is easy to carry. I carry a P226ST everyday with no problem. I can't imagine you having trouble with the 229. I'd say go with which ever one you shoot best.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a Sig 239 and is not bad as a CCW. Quite accurate and good to carry.

Then again, another CCW which I carry most of the time is the Kahr PM9. Now, that is small and not bad as accuracy goes.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My first pistol was a Sig 229 9mm. At the same time my wife bought the 239 in 9mm. Later I picked up a 239 in .40.

The 229 was ultra reliable and a great shooter. I found the grip a little thick for me, but not too bad. I took my first combat handgun class with the 229 and it was great. Especially in 9mm it is very comfortable and controllable.

The 239 in either 9mm or .40 is a tackdriver. I could shoot either better then the 229. Less magazine capacity, obviously, but a bit easier to conceal and carry.

Sig makes great pistols, but in general I really don't care for them that much. Strictly personal taste. My primary carry now is a Glock 26. I think it takes time and experimentation to settle on what one really likes and shoots (and carries) best. Still, you can't really go wrong with either the 229 or 239. Both are readily concealable with the right holster. Shoot them both and see what you like.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
The P239 is a puny little girlie man gun. Get the P229. :hand5:

Seriously though, I'm a big guy and the single stack grip of the P239 just doesn't fit me. The P229 double stack grip feels much better. Like Chris I carry a full size Sig, mine is the P220 ST. When you run out of ammo you still have a good heavy club to bash them with. I also have the P220 in 9mm, a P226 ST in .40, a P229 with both barrels, a P228, a P230 and a Mosquito.

I carry mine OWB in a Galco holster with a Galco belt. When I want something lighter I carry the P228.

-Scott-

·
Registered
211 Posts
The 239 just never balanced right for me. I like the grip on the 229 better and with the added capacity over the 239 I think you should go the 229 route. I am currently awaiting a OWB holster from Kevin at K&D (and secretly hoping he gets it done before the date he gave me, so I can take it to the handgun class the first weekend of May) and will then be in the market for an IWB for it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the P239 in 40 S&W. It fits me very well. In the long run it is going to come down to your personal preference. Try out both before you buy, if possible. Good luck and good shooting.

·
Super Moderator
13,097 Posts
BigE,

I carry a Sig 226 when I carry Sigs. But I have a 229R DAK and love it. The thing is great! I like the feel of the 229. The 239 just didn't fit me and the trigger guard tended to cut the knuckle of my middle finger when I gripped the gun.

The 239 is a great gun, but to me, it's too big for a small gun and too little for a large gun. The 229 is a double stack and will accept 226 mags if that's an option. The 239 is a single stack.

I have found both to be very reliable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a P229 chambered in .357SIG/.40 and two P239s... one chambered in 9mm and the other chambered in .357SIG/.40.

I much prefer the P239 platform for carrying comfort, however I like the P229 a tad better for a range gun, i.e., target shooting.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to everyone, lots of good points made. I myself really like the 229 over the 239 but this is going to be a carry gun and unfortunately I cant borrow one to walk around with for a while and see which I like better. Im not a big guy so I just assumed the 239 would be a better fit for me. As of right now in the winter I carry a Glock 27 and right now a MK9. I carry both IWB but would love to find that right holster for OWB carry still with great concealment.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just made the same decision

I just went through the exact same decision. I liked the make and feel of Sig pistols but couldn't decide which model I would prefer. While many here carry 9mm, I would advise against it with either the 229 or 239. There are several reasons for this. I work in law enforcement and talked to a lot of cops. None of them recommended the 9mm. There is pretty much no law enforcement agency, federal or state, that recommends the 9mm. Most of your city departments and sheriff's departments use the .40. A lot of federal agencies use the .40 as well. Highway Patrols use the .357 or .45 because of the increased penetration power. This is because most of their stops and contacts with the public involve cars.

I also talked to my grandfather who knows pretty much everything there is to know about guns. He also advised against the 9mm. A lot of this is based on the experience of the troops in Iraq as well as my grandfather's own experience and opinion. The reports from troops in Iraq is that the 9mm is not working well due to lack of stopping power. He advised that I get at least the .40, mostly due to the fact that I was getting a CCW weapon and was purchasing it for self defense.

The only reason the 9mm is as popular as it is is because of the Cold War and NATO (I don't know this for sure but a historian told it to me and it makes sense). We forced most of the European countries to switch to the 223 rifle round that is used in the M-16. The idea was that we should all use the same ammo because when the ammo is passed out it will be easier to fight the Russians without having to have specialized ammo. The concession for the other NATO countries switching to our rifle round is that we agreed to switch to the 9mm pistol round that is common in European countries.

The other reason to go .40, especially if you go with the 239, is that the trade off in rounds (8 versus 7) does not make up for the difference in stopping power that the .40 has. (Also as a side note, with the 239 .40, you can also get the .357 barrel as well).

I test fired the 229. While I liked it and it was an extremely simple and accurate weapon to use, I thought that for my size it was too big for CCW. This was due mostly to the size of the grip with the double stack magazine. I then decided on the 239 simply because of the smaller size and slimmer profile. I wanted a smaller weapon that would be easy to conceal but large enough to where it still felt like a real gun rather than something like the Mini Glock that you can't get your pinky on to. As compared to the 229, you only lose 3 round capacity in the .40 as the 229 is a 10 round (I don't know if it comes with more because in CA, all handguns purchased now have a 10 round limit, unless you are LEO).

I shot my 239 the other day and it is fantastic. It is very accurate and the recoil is less than I thought it would be, especially compared to the 229. The sights are simple and cleaning it was easy. I would agree that the bottom line is going to be what you want it for and what fits with your hand and body size. For me, the 239 .40 was the perfect choice.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Cali-da

regarding 9mm vs other calibers,

9mm = 90% 1 shot stopping power.
40 S&W= 95% 1 shot stopping power.
90 bad guys out of 100 down vs 95 out of 100 bg's down.
Those odds look pretty good to me :)
RE: Iraq, our guys are using crap ball ammo over there, so yeah,
9mm isn't looking too good for that reason.

But the #1 reason to use 9mm? El-cheapo to shoot:image035:
100 practice rounds=$11.98 :image035:

·
Registered
737 Posts
BigE410 said:
Im not a big guy so I just assumed the 239 would be a better fit for me.
The size of your hands is the more important determinator of how the pistol will fit. I'm a little guy, barely over 5'6" tall, but have giant gorilla hands so full size pistols fit me perfectly. My hands are actually too big to properly shoot compact pistols that most people would think are perfect for me based on my stature. Best advice I can give is to hold both, dry-fire both and see which is more comfortable.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I absolutely love to shoot my p229 SAS. It's DAO, but it's got the DAK system and is the sweetest DAO pistol that I've ever shot. I don't know how you feel about the DA/SA switch over, but if you don't care for it then DAK is the solution. I got it a couple months ago and it's beautiful as well as super accurate.

I need to get a holster for it, but I don't know if I can bring myself to carry it being that it looks so good. I'll think I'll leave the bump and grind of daily carry to the SA GI Champion or my 19.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Love my SIG's but the 229/228 for me always felt a little more on the blocky side and just didn't fit my hand as well as the 220/226.

I love the 239, its a tad short in my hand but with the option of buying it as the 239SAS version,it becomes one of the very best CCW rigs going,,, In fact JMO I believe any of the SIG SAS versions make better carry rigs then their normal set up's,, only down side for some is the lack of the railed dust cover

·
Registered
107 Posts
Personally I don't need a rail on my carry rig. I'm not going to putting any toys on it anyhow since I want the cleanest draw possible. Besides, I've never handles one, but the rails like on the new equinox look like they would catch and drag something horrible. It's all the notches in the sides of the rail that just look like they wouldn't work well for carry.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts