Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which would you get for CCW and why? I keep going back and forth with this decision. I'm looking to replace my G26 CCW with this. Price, ammo and size are not factors for me. Thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
No offense to Glock lovers, but Sig has a special place in my heart. My answer is purely subjective of course.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Glock for carry...

I have similar pistols in .40 - the Sig P229 and the Glock 23. I have found both to be reliable and accurate, but I tend to carry the Glock preferentially because it is about 8 ounces lighter weight and slightly smaller in dimensions, so it conceals more easily and is more comfortable to carry all day. I also like the DAO trigger of the Glock, with every trigger pull the same. My Sig is DA/SA so I have to make a transition after the first DA shot.

·
Super Moderator
18,226 Posts
Sig.

Everyone has a Glock. Even gangbangers. They are soooooo common.

Not every one has a Sig.

Owning a Sig is like owning your first Lincoln Town Car. It shows the world that you arrived !

·
Registered
866 Posts
Oh yea why...

better quality, more sturdy construction, sexier lookin!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Another thing to consider, is the fact that Sig invented the .357 Sig

The Sig is also a heavier gun, which will alleviate some of the perceived recoil from such a hot, powerful round.

Just make sure you buy REAL .357 Sig rounds, that are loaded to potential.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
SIG. The P229 is a perfect platform for the 357SIG cartridge. Superior craftsmanship inside and out. Superior all-around performance. A sweet combination, and they were made for each other. The Virginia State Police used .38 revolvers for 58 years, 10mm for 3 years, 9mm for 4 years, and the P229 in 357SIG for the past 12 with no sign of changing. There's a reason for that. You can do worse, but you'd be hard-pressed to do better.

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
It depends.

I own one Glock, and don't really desire any more. With that said, the Glock is reliable, and goes and goes and goes. It is the gun I wouldn't care if I dropped it in the ocean, the sewage treatment plant or horse manure. It will clean off with a garden hose and keep going.

With that said, I'm not a fan of DA/SA. Maybe I haven't shot the DA/SA enough to give it a fair shake, I don't know. I do know I don't care for it though. If the Sig was with a DAK Trigger it would be a hard call. I do know that Glock, while not fitting my hand well, has a lower bore axis. That reduces the felt recoil and muzzle flip, for me. As it is the only handgun I care to shoot the .40 S&W round in is the Hi Power.

Without a doubt, Sig is quality, and not common. That makes it worth owning, just for the vanity points if that's your thing. Since cost isn't a consideration, as you are really comparing apples to oranges here, I would look at the perceived need and use of the handgun and make my decision based upon that.

I may switch to a Sig next year, but probably the P250. I don't much care if plastic gets "dinged" when I drop it. I do care if a nice metal handgun gets "dinged". I've dropped every handgun I own at some point or another it seems. As odd as it may sound, I actually like more traditional handguns made of steel, yet here I am extolling the virtues of a "plastic" gun.

In short, I have no vote, and like I said, "It depends."

Biker

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
G32--mainly because I really, really, really don't like the DAK trigger.

After playing with my ex-P226SAS, I found that the light trigger on the first shot and the harder pull on subsequent shots was difficult to get used to.

As far as quality, at the risk of being branded a heretic, they're pretty much equal in my view. Sure--the Sig is a prettier handgun, I'll give you that...but, as far as a self defense handgun goes (at least in my view) it's got to be reliable & accurate...in which case, they both are equal.

·
Super Moderator
18,226 Posts
Yep, about as equal as a Volkswagen and a Lincoln Town Car.

They'll both get you there.

But one will get you more chicks than the other...

:rofl:

·
Registered
405 Posts
The 229 is quite a bit bigger than the G26. That seems like a fairly big leap in size, so to speak. Why such a drastic change?

·
Super Moderator
50,611 Posts
I'm going to have to think about this...OK, I'm done thinking...Glock!:yup:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The 229 is quite a bit bigger than the G26. That seems like a fairly big leap in size, so to speak. Why such a drastic change?
I don't really care for the two finger grip or pinky extensions. I don't mind concealing something larger. I'm also looking at a 1911 Commander in the near future.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
P-229 - No question!!! :smile:

·
Registered
601 Posts
My knee jerk reaction is go for the Sig. It's just a better gun. Not to say the Glock is bad though. However, it really depends on your needs. I've got a Glock 36 that I carry during the week. I also have a P229 that I carry on the weekends. Lately, I've started carry the P229 during the week too. I really notice the extra weight on the Sig. When I carry it in a good pancake holster (not possible in my work clothes), it disappears. In my deep concealment shoulder holster, it isn't uncomfortable, but I know it's there.

If you get the Sig, get a good holster with it. Another perspective: I can comfortably carry my full sized M&P .40 with 15 rounds in a cheap Uncle Mike's IWB holster. The P229 with 12 rounds doesn't carry as comfortably in it. The extra weight really does make a difference.

So...either gun will serve you well. If you can shoot both accurately, go for whichever is going to carry better.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hmmm...

No experience with at G32 but I have lots with the P229. I own a G23 and a P229 (DA/SA) and have to admit that due to round count, weight and a consistent trigger pull my P229 is in the safe and the G23 is my carry piece.

Do I think the Glock is the "be all to end all gun"? No way. It just satisfies more of what I wanted in a EDC weapon; weight, round count, consistent trigger pull, simple manual of arms etc.

My heart says "Sig" but my brain says "Glock".

Tough choice my friend, tough choice...

Happy Thanksgiving

Be Safe,

NosaM

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Given that I carry a SIG P229 SAS in .357 SIG, that's my vote!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts