Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

An interesting thing is happening. First I was the odd-ball in my fiancee's family when I purchased my P239 and got my CWP. Then last week my fiancee's dad bought a P226. This morning, they purchased a Ruger LCP for my fiancee's mom (who up until recently seemed very anti-gun and wouldn't let me teach their 8 year old boy to shoot my air rifle). My fiancee, her mom, and her dad are taking a private CWP course on Monday afternoon.

So I'm excited about the change in sentiment. Since both of her parents have their own guns now, I'm waiting for my fiancee to chime in that she wants her own.

I like the P238. She doesn't really intend on carrying, but wants to have the option of course so the size and weight works. She shoots .380 well (she feels like my .40 is a cannon), and I'm comfortable with it as well since my dad has the P232.

If I might ask, who has the P238? If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it? Did you pick it up new or used? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
741 Posts
We have one and it is really nice to shoot, very little recoil. Just saw one at local (Loveland, CO) Sportsman's Warehouse for $499. We paid $500 at Ace Hardware in Loveland FWIW.

·
Super Moderator
18,246 Posts
Just picked up one at the Raleigh gun show today for $500, will take it out to the range tomorrow for a test drive if Ma Nature cooperates.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I have the "Rosewood" edition. Nitron finish, night sights, and rosewood grips.
I paid $575 (I think). I love that gun. It is reliable, fun to shoot, the recoil is surprisingly mild, the slide is easy to rack, every thing a lady would like.
Except I'm a guy.
It has been totally reliabe, the finish is perfect. The night sights are bright, and I didn't like the two tone with the slotted grips. (Sorry, guys)
So this one had everything I wanted.
You can find .380 at gun shops, but it's still pricy. I paid $30 for 50 rounds of PMC Bronze FMJ for the range, but I wanted to try it.
It is a real pocket gun. (don't get the Desantis Nemesis as it doesn't cover the safety.) I have a Bullard OWB holster which is great, the "bodyguard" and a R grizzle, "City Slicker" IWB, beautiful.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hrm... so the standard looks to run about $500 or so...

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
The P-238 is nice and you may really like it, but if you want your fiancee to REALLY like her own firearm...let HER pick it out, our you may just have an extra firearm for your safe.:yup:

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The P-238 is nice and you may really like it, but if you want your fiancee to REALLY like her own firearm...let HER pick it out, our you may just have an extra firearm for your safe.:yup:
I wouldn't be opposed to that. :p

We're heading to the range tomorrow for the shooting portion of her CWP class. The range where they'll be going is a SIG dealer and I already contacted them to make sure they have P238 available for us to shoot. They've also got the Ruger LCP in stock for her to shoot. We'll see how it goes.

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
I wouldn't be opposed to that. :p

We're heading to the range tomorrow for the shooting portion of her CWP class. The range where they'll be going is a SIG dealer and I already contacted them to make sure they have P238 available for us to shoot. They've also got the Ruger LCP in stock for her to shoot. We'll see how it goes.
You can certainly 'lead' her to the nice little pistola, but let her decide!
I bought my wife a S&W 637, a perfect gun for her...she looked in the safe and wanted the KelTec .32, and she carried it for a while.
Then I 'lead' her to the Glock-26...I complemented her on how nicely it went with her jewelry...:rofl:...now she has picked that out for a carry gun.:king:

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I would steer her towards the J frame line up. That is what my wife carries and loves it, but I agree let them choose, but give quality guidence.

NCH

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would steer her towards the J frame line up. That is what my wife carries and loves it, but I agree let them choose, but give quality guidence.

NCH
Are you talking about the J Frame revolvers? She refuses to go the revolver route and doesn't want to shoot them just to try them out either. I have no idea what the deal is with that...

retsupt I'm glad you mentioned the KelTec! I'd completely forgotten about them... which is stupid considering my FFL friend has two of them in his safe for sale. I'm going to call down there and see if they have one available for rent.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I bought a P238 very soon after they came out--$550 plus tax at Cabela's. It has night sights but no fancy grips, just the plain black ones.

I agree with the comments suggesting that she pick out "her gun". That being said, I'd steer a newer shooter away from the P238--it's a single action only and one better know what they're doing if they plan to handle/carry it cocked and locked.

A nice little J frame like the 642 (with Crimson Trace is even better) is reliable and simple to operate for a new shooter. And, the Hornady Critical Defense ammo makes it a formidable defense weapon.

Good luck...and I'm very glad to hear of the turnaround in her family!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree with the comments suggesting that she pick out "her gun". That being said, I'd steer a newer shooter away from the P238--it's a single action only and one better know what they're doing if they plan to handle/carry it cocked and locked.

A nice little J frame like the 642 (with Crimson Trace is even better) is reliable and simple to operate for a new shooter. And, the Hornady Critical Defense ammo makes it a formidable defense weapon.

Good luck...and I'm very glad to hear of the turnaround in her family!
Indeed Jimmy. My concern with the P238 for her is the SAO. We'll see how she handles it at the range tomorrow.

Like I said, I'd like to get her a S&W revolver but she refuses to so much as shoot them. So I don't know what to do on that one...

·
Banned
447 Posts
With any gun, you need to train with it. The 238 is very accurate and the recoil is mild. A lot less recoil than the LCP. SAO is not an issue for me, it might be for others. Keep it in a pocket holster and keep your finger off the trigger.

Indeed Jimmy. My concern with the P238 for her is the SAO. We'll see how she handles it at the range tomorrow.

Like I said, I'd like to get her a S&W revolver but she refuses to so much as shoot them. So I don't know what to do on that one...

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
The Academy Sports here has the P238 for $439.... It's the std. blue with the black grips...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts