Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought my wife a P238 (two weeks ago). We've already fired around 200 rounds through it and we both love it, it will definitely make a great cc for her. My question pertains to how to carry it. I was told by the individual that sold us the gun that it is designed to be chambered, hammer back (SAO), and safety on when carrying. Anyone have any experience with this firearm or can hopefully provide some detailed information. Before she starts carrying we are practicing every night and will do so until it becomes an extension of her arm. I just want to make sure that we're being safe with it.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
71 Posts
My girlfriend's mother carries it all the time. Sometimes pocket carried and sometimes appendix carry. Both seem to work great since I can't tell where she is carrying at a given time. She carries it cocked and locked, so with the hammer back and the safety engaged. That being said I would not worry at all if your lady decides to carry with or without the safety engaged or with or without the hammer back. The thing is, the trigger pull is heavier than a Glock. Many people will tell you all about how Glocks are safe because what matters is between the ears--great you'll have a harder time discharging this one. So hammer back or not, safety or not I'd say its up to the comfort of the shooter. If she is comfortable I would recommend carrying it cocked and locked. She will eventually get used to it and it will be a no brainer.

Best of luck on your endeavors

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
It is designed to be carried cocked and locked (hammer back, round in chamber, safety on).

·
Registered
436 Posts
I plan on getting the 938 down the road. Rosewood with the laser as well. And it is designed to be carried cocked and locked, but as always, whatever is the most comfortable for the user is the best solution.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I've owned two, a Nitron and a Scorpion. I pocket carried them. I'd still have the Scorpion if it wasn't so picky about ammo. Sweet pocket gun.

But they were both picky, so one turned into a Glock 19 and the other morphed into a 442 Smith.

They are to be carried chambered (as all carry guns should be), cocked, and safety on. Game over, hands down, no questions.

And it's perfectly safe. Folks thought I was crazy pocket carrying a gun that way. Said I'd most likely geld myself. It's all smoke. If it did go off, which it wouldn't, I'd hit my thigh or knee. Never did point towards possible emasculation.

The world is full of 1911 guys (me included) who carry a much more powerful gun than the little 380. Those 1911s are carried just like the little SIG is meant to be carried: chambered, cocked, and locked. And that 45 is quite capable of removing the lower right cheek and a lot of hamstring.

And guys carry 'em every day like that for decades, with no problems.

If the gun goes off, YOU screwed up, not the gun.

By the way, welcome to the forum. Glad to have you.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a P238 - love it. Carry it in a tshirt with special holsters attached as well as a Pocket holster and a sneaky pete holster. It is super - got a laser on it as well. I would not under any circumstances carry this cocked and locked with just the safety. Sorry - Safetys fail.

·
Registered
241 Posts
My wife carries a 238, however she carries unchambered and uncocked. (I know but I can't convince her to carry otherwise). Because of this, I have her practice her draw and chamber every time we are at the range. It was kind of rough at first but now she is smooth and can chamber a round while she brings the gun up to sight the target. If you're worried about carrying cocked and locked, then definately some range time and practice chambering a round during your draw is a must!!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Cocked and locked is the way to go, with a holster that covers the trigger as well. I carry a 1911 cocked and locked. As long as that trigger doesn't get pulled you are fine whether the safety is on or not.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I have a problem with DA/SA trigger systems. I guess it stems from me shooting a 1911 and Browning hi power most of my life. But when I shoot one for the first time, I always smoothly pull the trigger on that long DA stroke, then screw the second shot expecting the same trigger pull, because it was SA. Just screws with my mind.

I bought a SIG mosquito to help me work on that.

But all of my guns have that trigger pull every time: glock, beretta92D, etc.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I have one of the early ones, never a problem.
It's designed to be carried with one in the chamber and the safety on.
I'd always have it in a holster (pocket too) that covers the trigger and safety if I could find one.
If you're worried about that, IMO, it's easier to rack the slide than cock the hammer.
So you could carry it with the chamber empty and the hammer down. Safety off. Just be aware it takes time to rack the slide.
Try a compromise until you get comfortable. Empty chamber, hammer cocked safety on.
You'll discover the safety doesn't "accidentally" get switched off, and you can proceed to condition 1.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts