Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off let me say thanks to everyone on here. I've been watching and learning for a couple months now.

Now to my question. Picked up a new "Rainbow" model of the P238 this weekend for the wife and went to the range today. It's a perfect fit for her and I know the recoil wouldn't be bad.

Out of the first 6 rounds half did not fire when the hammer fell. Had to manually cock it refire, that worked most of the time. We went through 50 rounds today and would have to say that at least 20 times it failed to fire. Twice the slide locked open with rounds still in the clip.

I've read on other forums where this has been a common issue and many have returned the gun to Sig for "repairs".

Has anyone on here had similar problems?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't think I've ever heard of a Sig that wouldn't function. They are usually as reliable as a crowbar. What is a Rainbow edition?:confused:

·
Registered
213 Posts
I would be on the phone with Sig first thing tomorrow morning if it were me. That sucks, man. Sorry to hear about the bad luck. Sigs are usually better than that.

·
Premium Member
3,579 Posts
Let us know what happens, SIG is top notch with customer service from what I hear. My SIG has been flawless.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I heard nothing but good about Sig till today. For the first time I didn't do my homework before buying! Relied on the reputation.

I do have full confidence that it will all work out in the end, just a shame that you have to go through it. But then again it's a realative new model and I'm sure there are some bugs to be worked out.

Here's the link of what the "Rainbow" finish looks like.

Products & Services

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
That's a great looking finish. Kershaw also uses it on their Ken Onion Leek.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I've got an early P238 and it gobbles up all ammo well, except Wolf, which gives at least two malfunctions per magazine.

You didn't mention what kind of ammo, but if Wolf, I'd avoid it and try something different before calling SIG.

In the end, SIG Customer Service will promptly take care of you.

That rainbow color is unique...I have a Kershaw Rainbow Chive knife that has an almost identical look.

Let us know how this all turns out.

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
Unique...definitely describes the 'Rainbow Edition'...:35::wave::35::wave:
I'm surprised that you are having such difficulties with a Sig, but their customer service will make it good...I trust that it will only be an ammo problem...the failed shells makes it appear that way. OMO

·
Super Moderator
25,562 Posts
Out of the first 6 rounds half did not fire when the hammer fell. Had to manually cock it refire, that worked most of the time. We went through 50 rounds today and would have to say that at least 20 times it failed to fire. Twice the slide locked open with rounds still in the clip.

I've read on other forums where this has been a common issue and many have returned the gun to Sig for "repairs".

Can't explain the slide... A call to SIG may be in order.

As to the non-fires, you didn't say what kind of ammo you were using, and that could be a big factor.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
First off let me say thanks to everyone on here. I've been watching and learning for a couple months now.

Now to my question. Picked up a new "Rainbow" model of the P238 this weekend for the wife and went to the range today. It's a perfect fit for her and I know the recoil wouldn't be bad.

>>Dear SIG SAUER Customer:

SIG SAUER, Inc. has initiated a Mandatory Safety Upgrade pertaining to our new Model P238™ pistols. We have determined that a small number of P238 pistols may have safety levers that are not manufactured to factory specifications. Under certain conditions, it may be possible for the lever not to be completely engaged in the safe position. In this condition, the gun will not fire when the trigger is pulled. However, when the safety lever is moved to the off position, the hammer may fall, with the remote possibility that the gun could fire unintentionally, thus creating a risk of injury or death.

There have been no reports of any injuries or mishaps; however, in accordance with SIG SAUER, Inc.’s commitment to provide customers with the highest quality products and services, we are issuing a P238 Mandatory Safety Upgrade, to return the identified product to factory specifications. Upon receipt of the firearm, SIG SAUER will, at no cost to the owner, eliminate the risk identified above by replacing the subject part and performing functional upgrades that have been incorporated into the P238, subsequent to its introduction. SIG SAUER will return the firearm, pre-paid, to the owner as quickly as possible.

If you have a SIG SAUER P238 with a serial number between DA000501 and DA003216, please cease use of the firearm immediately. Not all P238s within the identified serial number range are affected; therefore, it is imperative that you contact us via the UPGRADE HOT LINE at 1 (866) 446-1914. An operator will take your information and confirm if your firearm is required to be returned for Upgrading. If necessary, you will receive a certified package from SIG SAUER that will contain a UPS shipping return label, a Return Merchandise Authorization Number, and a box to return the firearm. Simply affix the provided UPS shipping label to the supplied box (completely covering the existing shipping label) and bring the box to a designated UPS drop-off location. Please be certain to include the magazine along with the original SIG SAUER blue gun box. If you have questions or would like further information, you may contact SIG SAUER CUSTOMER SERVICE at 603-772-2302 (Choose Option # 3).

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your immediate cooperation in the return of your P238 handgun.

Sincerely,

SIG SAUER, Inc.<<

·
Registered
238 Posts
Im sure the gun he has is a post "madatory safety upgrade" (recall).

That said the gun may also need a thorough cleaning too. Guns always need to be cleaned before they are fired when they are brnad new.

·
Registered
120 Posts
There were also some magazine issues with the P238. Would have thought that would have been corrected before the production of the TN series was released, but who knows. I believe it is an easy visual check for the affected mags, but I don't what it is you are supposed to look for....help anyone?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

·
Premium Member
3,579 Posts
Hi,

First and foremost, I love that finish! That is very cool looking! I am sure SIG will take care of you on this, I was just looking at this model the other day and have heard nothing but goods things. I was paranoid about my new SIG as it's a new model too, but it shoots flawlessly.

I heard this little rig is a tack driver?

·
Banned
56 Posts
That said the gun may also need a thorough cleaning too. Guns always need to be cleaned before they are fired when they are brnad new.

I got the new P238 about 2 wks ago and had a couple FTFire's also, along with a few FTE and FTFeeds. I HAD NOT CLEANED THE GUN BEFORE I WENT TO THE RANGE FOR THE FIRST TIME. It got a good cleaning after that and the next trip to the range was uneventful. No issues. Try that first.

·
Premium Member
3,579 Posts
I got the new P238 about 2 wks ago and had a couple FTFire's also, along with a few FTE and FTFeeds. I HAD NOT CLEANED THE GUN BEFORE I WENT TO THE RANGE FOR THE FIRST TIME. It got a good cleaning after that and the next trip to the range was uneventful. No issues. Try that first.
It's funny you say that, when I got my P250 it had 50 rounds through it and they guy said he had a couple FTF's. I took it home and it still had the factory grease, I cleaned it off and went to the range. I have not had an issue ever. It's flawless!

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
It's funny you say that, when I got my P250 it had 50 rounds through it and they guy said he had a couple FTF's. I took it home and it still had the factory grease, I cleaned it off and went to the range. I have not had an issue ever. It's flawless!
Well, It is true, most new Sigs are slightly greased for packing and should be cleaned before serious shooting. On the other hand, there is nothing easier to clean than a Sig P250 and it will usually fire accurately bone dry. That in itself makes it a joy to own and shoot.

Th sig P250 needs to be cleaned with solvent but then cleaned dry. There are 4 points on the frame. I lightly oil the front two and use white lithium grease (very slightly) on the rear points of the frame near the trigger. I have never had a problem. The grease does not wear off even under water.

I personally have not had any experience with the P228.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts