Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't decide between these two for carry. Would love to hear other points of view. Only choosing between these two. The 442 has an apex carry trigger job so pull weight about the same for each DA gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
Which one is easier to draw and point? Would you wear both the same way(appendix carry, strong side iwb, etc)?

·
Registered
524 Posts
+442= lighter, easier for pocket carry
- only 5 shot, Ballistically less effective than 9mm

+ 290 built like a tank, second strike capable, holds 7 rounds of 9mm
Heavy for pocket carry @ more than 20 oz.

Everyone needs a j frame, but I see the fascination for the 290 ......I already have a j frame so I would be very happy with the 290.

I carry a Sig 250 subcompact in 45 ACP which is a bit larger than the 290 but similar; so I really like the Sig format.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
Id probably go for more capacity with easy mag changes. Plus, I believe that some 290rs models comes with night sights, but if not, at lest you have that option.... I'm thinking that the Sig would be flatter, so it would be more comfortable for AIWB carry. I don't think weight will be much of an issue being that you're carry on the belt, and they both are pretty light already. That's just me, YMMV.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
I like revolvers so the 290 works for me. The trigger is lighter but longer than a J frame. It's easy to shoot well.

I pocket carry the 290 and weight is not an issue for me. I had a 642, same as 442 but different color. I couldn't take the punishment shooting it. I traded it for an all steel 649 J frame. I can shoot mid range .357, a lot more powerful than 38+P, with less discomfort than 38 standard in the airweight.

The 290 or the 649 are what I carry when I am not carrying. Also one is usually in a pocket as a bug for my EDC.

So given the choice, I would go with the 290 over the 442 kuz I know now what I wish I knew then.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
The 442 is only a decent choice if you want extremely lightweight. It is a hand-killer with +P rounds and just too difficult to practice with.
I had a 442 as a BUG for awhile, but dreaded shooting the thing. I also tried the 340 with duty loads and it left one of my fingers numb for over a week. They were both too light to bother with. I do carry a Ruger LCRx snub, occasionally, which is ultra light, but shootable.
The 9mm is a far superior performer than the .38 spec.

Reactions: philly01

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Hummm, I will say nether one !! I have shoot the p290 and the design feels good but that 9lb trigger pull kills an other wise nice handgun and it is heavy . I like kahr and in 11 years and 4 kahr pistols along with many thousands of rounds fired I would stay with a pm 9 or cm9 for pocket or a p9 or cw9 for a small IWB but its as small as a snubby too . I carried a snubby when I starte to CC starting in 1990 That old revolver had a great trigger pull compared to the corrent lot of snub nose handguns out today , are slow to reload and with limited capacity . With todays choices with semi-autos a snub nose is very low in my list .

If this is to be a IWB carry I would rather have a p250 sc in 380 with 12 rounds or underwood ammo with a 15 round mag as back up and its just under 20oz with a 6.5lb trigger . Again if a pocket pistol a cm9 or if you want to spend the extra money a PM9 .

Never was concern over second strike but p250 has that feature too . Cartridge does not go bang its out of there . To old to change how I react to a bad round after learning about junk .22lr ammo hunting as a kid some 50 years ago .

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
The Sig has a horrible trigger. I'm a wheelgun guy so I'd opt for the S&W or my preferred LCR.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Decisions,decisions.

I have a Glock 42 and the 642 and 342 S&W revolvers. Both semi autos and revolvers have their place in a concealed carry roll for me. The Glock 42 with the Ghost +2 extension on the mag so gives me 9 rounds of .380 XTP HP available in a compact semi aurto package for AIWB. Ballistically the .380 is not a 9mm as we all know but it works for me in the roll it fills.
The Glock 42 and the S&W 642 and 342 get pocket carried and AIWB carried. Circumstances alter cases.

For me firing 125 grain SJHP +p in the Airweight J/frame platform is not a problem however I have for the past several decades continued to build hand and forearm strength and I believe hand exercise and hand strength is very important when using handguns and other tools that require strength and dexterity.

Only you can decide which gun will be best for your given needs. As long as you shoot either one well enough to place rounds on target in a stress situation you are well armed with either one IMHO.

IMG_0257.JPG S&W 642 click image to enlarge.....

IMG_0020.jpg Remora holster

FullSizeRender.jpg G-42 with the Ghost +2 mag extension in the weapon.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I have nothing but good experience with my 290RS. I just really like that pistol. However, I am very much comfortable with double action and some may find the trigger too heavy. My 290RS is a natural shoot where you point it gun. I wouldn't carry it in my pocket as it is just too heavy for my pockets. I carry appendix IWB and it works great that way. Nothing wrong with the 442 though.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Hummm, I will say nether one !! I have shoot the p290 and the design feels good but that 9lb trigger pull kills an other wise nice handgun and it is heavy . .
This shows how subjective are the various elements of a firearm that make some attracted and others not. I like the 290RS trigger very much. Not too heavy for a DAO.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I like the 442. I don't have a problem with 135 SGD 38+P. I'm not going to shoot 5o of them in at a time.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
CAS_Shooter But until you have tried others that are waaaay lighter and smoother you can't give a well compared opinion . 9lbs is 9lbs anyway you look at it .

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have nothing but good experience with my 290RS. I just really like that pistol. However, I am very much comfortable with double action and some may find the trigger too heavy. My 290RS is a natural shoot where you point it gun. I wouldn't carry it in my pocket as it is just too heavy for my pockets. I carry appendix IWB and it works great that way. Nothing wrong with the 442 though.
I like it also the trigger on the 290. My bigger guns are sig DA/sa and the 290 helps with trigger discipline on the first DA shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Then buy the p290 . Its extra weight and lower bore axis will make it easier to control and should have faster split times shooting since you like the trigger . With 6 or 8 rounds in the mag and faster to reload than a snubby . Hard to fine any plus side to the 442 other than the lighter Carry weight .

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I go for autos for CC just for the fact that (some) are thinner than the cylinder of a revolver and the auto have a much faster reload, providing you carry an extra loaded magazine.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I don't have a 442 but do have a 640 no dash and choose to carry my P290RS over the J-frame every time. While my 640 has a nice DAO trigger I prefer the P290 trigger. The trigger in mine is very good.

ETA - I prefer the 290 over the 640 because of ease of carrying a flatter handgun and for the larger capacity and ease of reloading.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Yes, things seem different to different people. It may indeed be a nine pound pull, but it doesn't feel like it to me. It feels much lighter than my 649, just a lot longer. In the end I like the Smiths pull better.
The 250 Sigs have an even lighter pull, but still very long. If you like DA you should be fine with it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
With Duluth pants I pocket carry the P290RS in a wallet holster. I keep two 8 round magazines in the cargo pockets. Have never had a problem with the gun.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts