Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've got the itch again to buy another handgun. I'm thinking about the Sig P320 Compact Full FDE in .40 caliber or 9mm. Good choice or not? Also considering a Glock 23 since I already have a 19.

Question 1: This is the big dilemma. I keep going back and forth about going to .40 cal. All my other guns are 9mm and I keep letting the FBI 9mm standard cloud my judgement. This will probably become my main EDC. So, 9mm or .40 cal?

Question 2: Is there any reason why I shouldn't go with the full FDE, i.e. slide durability/wear or easier to spot when conceal carrying?

Thanks for your input.

Reactions: Wasp

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The Sig P320 has a great trigger. Consider also that you can buy a second setup with the P320 and have both calibers. Or......completely solve your problem and go .45acp.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I like keeping one ammo so I have to have it 45acp. But for you I would go with the 9mm its cheaper then 40 in the long run

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I like the trigger on the 320 better than the Glock. If I were in your shoes, I'd get the Sig in 40. A little caliber diversity isn't a bad thing if a panic hits, and you can add a 357Sig barrel later if you really want to mix things up. And I'd go with the full FDE. The finish won't wear any more than the Nitron black. I also like the idea of a full size slide with the slightly shorter compact grip module. Slightly easier to conceal, but still a full grip.

Reactions: Bad Bob

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have Shield in 9mm , an M&P Fs in .40 and an XDM 3.8C in .45.
I just put the .40 p for sale on another forum. I've tried to like .40 (I even got a 9mm conversion barrel for it)
but since I got my XDM I've found that I really like shooting .45 much better than .40.
I'd check out the P320 in .45 if you're sold on the sig. Otherwise if you can find one of these
Springfield Armory XDm 3.8's that I just cam across, try it.
Since you already have a G19 what niche would a P320 in 9mm fill? kind of redundant no?
I've been kind of an M&P fanboy for a while , but this XDM has really got me singing praises for Springfield Armory.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I am a 40 fan so I would suggest it when adding a new caliber. I like the idea of haveing multiple calibers if when another shortage happens. I am considering a nine for my next purchase with this in mind. I would then recommend the 23 since you have the 19 and holsters and accessories would work for the new gun. With that said I don't know much about Sig except they make nice stuff!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
First of all...who cares what the FBI is shooting. Secondly, I love 9mm.

Now that is out of the way, the P320 is an excellent pistol, the ergos are good, the sights are good, the trigger pull is really good, and boy is it accurate, you should really get one. :yup: Here's mine:
http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/defensive-carry-guns/223474-sig-320-wasps-new-stinger.html

I traded it for a Glock 19, but wait... I still don't have a whole lot of bad to say about the P320, it's really a good choice and everything I said was true. I had my reasons for trading, mostly because I have been shooting Glocks for nearly twenty years and I have all kinds of Glock stuff for it.

As far as what I didn't like about the P320, there wasn't much actually, it was about what I wanted more to be honest. The P320's trigger breaks fantastically, it doesn't even move the pistol when it breaks,. The reset is short and I was having trouble getting used to it which made me nearly slap at it, I would be okay for a few rounds and then realize I was slapping again, tgat was me but still. The most annoying thing was that it was sending about six to eight pieces of brass out of fifty just above my right eyebrow, not glancing, they were full on drilling me. I wasn't limp wristing but realized if I really clamped down it would stop. I'm sure the ejector just beeded tuning but I wasn't about to send it right back to Sig.

Anyway, they aren't a bad gun and as you can see from my target it is really accurate. If you like it you should try it, and in what ever caliber YOU think is the best, not what a Washington Yuppie with no field time thinks is best. Good luck.

P320 9mm FDE

P320 Target 7 yards 50 rounds offhand

·
Registered
475 Posts
P320C is a great choice for concealed carry. Was my first SIG but not my last. Great pistol.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
I shot ( At a range Demo) Walther PPQ M2, Sig P320 (Both Full size and Carry), and then the HK VP9........ If any firearm can draw me away from Glock. It is the SIG P320 !

·
Registered
623 Posts
Given the size of the 320 compact, would you be better able to keep the 9mm tighter on target over multiple shots?
Given the price difference and the fact that some 9mm is very close in ballistics to .40, could you save money with the 9mm yet have a carry caliber that is very similar to the .40 with respect to the damage it can cause in an SD situation?

Sorry to answer your question with questions, but it's usually how I make an important decision.
When all the questions are answered, i know what I should do (and then still sometimes screw up and go with my gut...)

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Given the size of the 320 compact, would you be better able to keep the 9mm tighter on target over multiple shots?
Given the price difference and the fact that some 9mm is very close in ballistics to .40, could you save money with the 9mm yet have a carry caliber that is very similar to the .40 with respect to the damage it can cause in an SD situation?

Sorry to answer your question with questions, but it's usually how I make an important decision.
When all the questions are answered, i know what I should do (and then still sometimes screw up and go with my gut...)
That's actually a really good point, the P320 is a very low recoiling handgun in 9mm and allows really quick follow up shots. I shot the above target as quickly as I could settle back on target which was pretty quick.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The 320 is an awesome gun. I've sold my PPQ because of it, and while I love my g19, I shoot the 320 a bit better. Personally I like the variety of ammo but in the end I cc 9mm. You could always get one caliber and buy an exhange kit for the other caliber, now you have both.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I was struck, only recently, with the face-to-face SIG 320 dilemma. Handled it, tried the trigger, checked the reset, looked-over the sights, etc., etc. I went so far as to clear my EDC G19 from my holster, unload it, put it on the bench and compare EVERYthing I could think-of to the SIG 320 Compact 9mm (medium frame). I decided that if the 320 had been available when I decided on my G19 (11 years ago?), that's before I bought my CT Laser, before I changed the sights, before I bought 4 holsters, before I bought 5 spare mags, before I tuned the trigger, before I shot 15-16k rounds...I would have picked the SIG. :biggrin2:

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Question 1: This is the big dilemma. I keep going back and forth about going to .40 cal. All my other guns are 9mm and I keep letting the FBI 9mm standard cloud my judgement. This will probably become my main EDC. So, 9mm or .40 cal?
Your call. I've sold my 40s. With modern ammo I don't see the SD advantage: more recoil than the 9, harsh recoil, and for bigger I prefer the 45 auto.

Question 2: Is there any reason why I shouldn't go with the full FDE, i.e. slide durability/wear or easier to spot when conceal carrying?
There is no difference in durability (I have black and FDE) and, depending on what you wear, I think the color actually blends in a little better.

Perhaps you can find a 320 to borrow or rent. They have a very nice trigger compared to most striker-fired pistols, are very accurate, and takedown is a breeze. Add to that the versatility in caliber and frame modifications and I think the SIG is hard to beat.

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Sounds like you've got an itch to try a 40. Might as well do it now with the Sig. If you go with the 9 then thoughts about trying another gun in a 40 will still haunt you.

·
Registered
145 Posts
P320 is a great gun. 40 cal is better for trying to stop vehicles. You can reconfigure it for 357 sig which is even better. If you know how to properly grip a hand gun you will have no trouble with the 40 cal.
My 9mm sits in my night stand. My P320 40 call is my EDC ever since I proofed it. If you are shooting at body armor will you be happy with 9mm? That is why we all like choices. Gives us an excuse to tinker with another one. :image035:

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Being you already have a G-19 I would go with the G-23 that way all your G-19 holsters will work perfect with your new G-23 plus they both feel the same. There is a lot to be said for a common weapons platform in different calibers. Just my .02 worth! :image035:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Dilemma? What dilemma? Go with it..... It took less then 200rds to make this my EDC. About 2000rds later, I am not disappointed. The best "out of the box" trigger on the market (IMO), with a very smooth and easy reset and very accurate. I bought mine in 9mm, but toying with the idea of getting the .40 conversion kit. I also personally found the small compact grip to be a touch more accurate and natural for me then the medium (standard), but it's a cheap $45 through Sig to purchase that option. You almost need to "TRY" to miss inside of 10 yards with this pistol. It will NOT disappoint you.

Here is my baby....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts