Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Before and after purchasing a 938 Extreme I watched reviews, videos and forums about these pistols. There's a lot of information out there on them good and bad. One of the problems people talked about was the little spring Sig refers to as the slide stop pin and how it can bend easy. Don't catch it with a rag cleaning it and bend it. Mine got bent and the radius of the spring popped out from the pocket. The big issue on a video, is now that the spring is bent the slide stop falls out so you have to replace it. This made me take a hard look at mine. I put the slide stop side down and cycled the slide and sure enough, the slide stop dropped right out. I was kicking myself for messing up my new gun before I started carrying it. Long story short, I took the slide off and put the slide stop in the frame and it worked as it should. The pin is there to keep the stop in the down position, and when you push it up it returns back down via the pin. I pushed the pin(spring) back into the pocket and it functioned as it should. Put everything back together and caked Sig customer service and they said the same thing, that the slide stop will fall right onto the bench if it is lined up with the clearance hole in the slide. I'm posting this in hopes it will save people from a lot of aggravation. The slide stop pin(spring) does nothing to capture the slide stop from falling out. Bending the pin may put enough tension on the stop to hold it but it isn't nessesary.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This is what I found too. The slide stop will just fall out when the slide is moving and you are tipping the gun to the left side. I found this out when trying to clear a jam. What you need to do is pull the slide back far enough so that it fits in the spot on the slide that's made for it (found out by reading the manual). Then when you move the gun and turn it on it's side, the slide stop stays in place. I assumed this was normal functionality of the gun and has nothing to do with the little spring.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, the spring pushes the stop down for cycling and has nothing to do with holding the stop from disassembly.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So is mine. Runs great. I started this thread because when I was researching the 238 and 938 there was a ton of scattered information. Early ones had a few issues that were resolve by Sig Sauer, then there seemed to be problems with the slide stop pin, which I call a non problem. Misinformation on the internet with people saying this pin(spring) kept the slide lock from falling out. It doesn't.
Here's an example of pure hack... That pin should be staked in to keep it in place. I'm posting here because this forum is probably the best one for common sense people that have a true willingness to help new people.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I have both pistols have been carrying them for several years with no problems. I have shot them a lot and have not keep count. I mostly pocket carry.

·
Registered
433 Posts
My 238 has been flawless. My 938 is probably my most accurate shooter without a laser. I do have a G19 that I produce slightly tighter patterns with, but it has a laser.

That said, I had my first issue with it a few days ago. It was feeling a little sticky and not returning to full battery after some shots. So, I just emptied my mag and put it away, having decided that it might need some cleaning. (I don't typically field strip after only 50-100 rounds, and the 938 hadn't been shot much, so I figured it was fine to shoot). Anyway, I took it apart yesterday to clean it, and low and behold, the guide rod had come apart (two piece guide rod, had come unscrewed) and the rod part had disappeared. I checked my case...nothing. So it must have been thrown out at the range somewhere. Ordered a new rod and a set of springs. Hopefully they'll get here quickly and my 938 will be back in business in short order.

Anyone else have this happen?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My 238 has been flawless. My 938 is probably my most accurate shooter without a laser. I do have a G19 that I produce slightly tighter patterns with, but it has a laser.

That said, I had my first issue with it a few days ago. It was feeling a little sticky and not returning to full battery after some shots. So, I just emptied my mag and put it away, having decided that it might need some cleaning. (I don't typically field strip after only 50-100 rounds, and the 938 hadn't been shot much, so I figured it was fine to shoot). Anyway, I took it apart yesterday to clean it, and low and behold, the guide rod had come apart (two piece guide rod, had come unscrewed) and the rod part had disappeared. I checked my case...nothing. So it must have been thrown out at the range somewhere. Ordered a new rod and a set of springs. Hopefully they'll get here quickly and my 938 will be back in business in short order.

Anyone else have this happen?
I have seen a few comments on this. I'll be checking mine on a regular basis. Thanks for adding that to the thread.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
We've got three P938 EQ's (His, Hers, Spare).
Hers had this problem out of the box... sent it back to Sig and they replaced the slide stop. Problem solved.

Other than that, exceptionally fine firearms!

·
Registered
327 Posts
I had some problems with my P938's hammer not cocking after firing; the problem started after about 500 rounds. It turned out to be a problem with the sear. I called Sig-Sauer and described what was happening; they emailed a shipping label to me to send it in. I got it back in less than a month. They replaced the sear, transfer bar and mainspring housing; haven't had a problem since then and I'm over 2000 rounds.

My only peave us that the grip screw start to loosen up after about 100 rounds fired, so I keep an Allen wrench handy at the range. ( I don't want to locktite the them in because I remove the grip panels for cleaning.)

As for the two piece spring guide: blue locktite. I can see no reason to ever want to disassemble that rod; it was probably made that way for cheaper manufacturing.

Everyone you meet knows something you don't.
- H. Jackson Brown

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had some problems with my P938's hammer not cocking after firing; the problem started after about 500 rounds. It turned out to be a problem with the sear. I called Sig-Sauer and described what was happening; they emailed a shipping label to me to send it in. I got it back in less than a month. They replaced the sear, transfer bar and mainspring housing; haven't had a problem since then and I'm over 2000 rounds.

My only peave us that the grip screw start to loosen up after about 100 rounds fired, so I keep an Allen wrench handy at the range. ( I don't want to locktite the them in because I remove the grip panels for cleaning.)

As for the two piece spring guide: blue locktite. I can see no reason to ever want to disassemble that rod; it was probably made that way for cheaper manufacturing.

- H. Jackson Brown
VZ grips sell o rings. They act like lock washers.
https://vzgrips.com/o-rings

·
Registered
149 Posts
but $2.00 for four o-rings is a little much. I can probably get them for $.05 a piece at the pipe supply store.
Tried that. You can get the right O.D. and I.D. but you can't get it in a thickness that works without it turning, biting and pulling apart under the screw as you tighten it. Plumbers tape works better and is even cheaper in the long run.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tried that. You can get the right O.D. and I.D. but you can't get it in a thickness that works without it turning, biting and pulling apart under the screw as you tighten it. Plumbers tape works better and is even cheaper in the long run.
Yeah, they are a specific diameter and durometer. The plumbers tape is the teflon tape, right? Nice work around. The o rings definitely work. Wilson had them with the ultra thin grips I bought for my Beretta. Squeezed right down.

·
Registered
327 Posts
So they're not just standard o rings, then? My mistake. I'll have to try the specials.

- H. Jackson Brown

·
Registered
506 Posts
My only problem with my P238 is that it shoots so well & likened much by my wifey & daughter....thus I'm always short of ammo & the prices rarely come down....:(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts