Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shot the Sig P938 yesterday with 7 round pinkie extension magazines. It was shooting fine but had the magazine drop several times when shooting it with a two handed grip. I must be hitting the magazine release button so I gripped it lower than I normally would and the problem stopped. The magazine release does not have much tension on it, not like a full size 1911. I removed the magazine release button and stretched the release spring about a 1/4 inch longer and it seems a little better.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
There is a known problem with the extended mags and them dropping a quarter inch or so out of the mag well. I had the same issue with my 938 and returned it to SIG for repair (SIG pays postage etc.) Got the gun back in about seven work days, and all is well thereafter. Go the the SIG Talk forums and you will find a lot of information on the issue. The 938 is outstanding on many levels, and you will find the customer service with SIG is hard to beat.

Reactions: FLSlim

·
Registered
43 Posts
Had the same issue with mine. Sent her to Sig and got it back in a week. Has not been a problem ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
It dawns on me that for some, sending the gun back for repairs may seem like a big deal. It isn't. SIG will e-mail you a return sticker. Put your gun back into the factory box you got when you bought it (you did save that, right?) Take it over to a FED Ex Center and they will put it in a mailing box for you, attach the sticker which is prepaid by SIG, and off it goes. BTW, under the rules, you should tell FED Ex that you are shipping an UNLOADED firearm to the manufacturer. In about a week, the gun will be returned to your home. Also, attach a note/letter with the gun to tell SIG what the problem is.

Reactions: Ianthin

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Have not had that issue with mine. Just don't let that get you upset with the gun. the 938 has been a great gun and has performed excellent for me. I have had many shoot mine and buy one the next day. Sig has a great service dept.They will get you fixed up.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Stretching a spring that small will reduce it's tension, not increase it. Contact Sig and let them handle it.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
There is a known problem with the extended mags and them dropping a quarter inch or so out of the mag well. I had the same issue with my 938 and returned it to SIG for repair (SIG pays postage etc.) Got the gun back in about seven work days, and all is well thereafter. Go the the SIG Talk forums and you will find a lot of information on the issue. The 938 is outstanding on many levels, and you will find the customer service with SIG is hard to beat.
Same here. I first tried a stronger 1911 spring and that reduced, but didn't solve the problem. Off it went to SIG and, after a quick turnaround, it has been perfect (more than 1k rounds since sending it in). It has been a very good small carry pistol since that time. While the problem was irritating, their CS was excellent.

·
Registered
435 Posts
No problem with my except for a guide rod that came apart...no issue with the mag release. It's my favorite small gun.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Follow up on magazine release problem, am hesitant to send pistol back to Sig last time I did that, another brand handgun it was stolen in shipping. Needed to order some new 1911 recoil and firing pin springs anyway so ordered a Wolf $9 pack of 5 different strength magazine catch springs. One original strength 1911 and 4 reduced power #1 through #4. The # 4 spring being the lightest spring. The #2 reduced power spring fit perfectly is the Sig 938 and was the same length as the original Sig spring but of a heavier spring wire. Magazine catch is working perfect now and no matter how the pistol is held two handed could not get the magazine to drop the magazine unless I wanted it to. Consider it fixed now

1 - 9 of 9 Posts