Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I've been wanting to buy a significant p938 for carry but I realized it has and aluminum frame with a steel slide has any one seen excessive wear on there Sig on the frame I'm asking the people who have more than a 1000 rds shot thru there gun that's my only problem with buying one don't want the frame to wear to much that it's just junk it's and exspensive gun

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
My wife has one. I doubt she has a 1000 rounds through it. I have some other Sig models with aluminum frames that have well over 1000 rounds with no wear. I would guess that if you can afford enough ammo to wear it out the price of a new gun won't be a problem.

·
Registered
9,889 Posts
The only issues I have ever heard of were ones that were the very first run that were built on 238 frames and has some issuese ..But that was years again so you should be great

The only problems I ever had problems with was the grip serration and ambi safty ..but I got the sport model with houge grips and had sig take off the side safety now great

·
Registered
28 Posts
There's an active topic going on over at the Sig forum discussing this topic.

I just recently picked up a new Sig P938 SAS...love it. I haven't had enough time to see the wear on it but the gun is great!

Dave

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Hey guys I've been wanting to buy a significant p938 for carry but I realized it has and aluminum frame with a steel slide has any one seen excessive wear on there Sig on the frame I'm asking the people who have more than a 1000 rds shot thru there gun that's my only problem with buying one don't want the frame to wear to much that it's just junk it's and exspensive gun
Lot's of metal framed guns are steel slide on aluminum frames. P220, 228, 229, 225, 226, Beretta 92 series, etc. Keep the slide rails lubed just as you would any other pistol and you'll be fine. I've owned a few dozen of that style gun over the years, and aside from a little finish wear, I've yet to see one actually damaged. Even on 40yo police trade guns like my Beretta 92S that dates back to the 70's. No excessive play in the slide/frame contact points, just a little finish wear.

My P938 has ~500rds through it, and it still looks new on the slide rails. Buy with confidence.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Run one for about 3 years and no problem. I don't keep a round count. Also have the 238 and no problems.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
My wife and I have matching P938's (Equinox) and probably a couple thousand rounds through each of them. No apparent wear and they both shoot great.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Good decision. The P938 is a great little carry gun. Mine is at 1550 rounds and no unusual wear. I did have early problems with mags dropping during firing (at 400 rounds)--returned to SIG and had it back in a week. Perfect since that time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My wife and I have matching P938's (Equinox) and probably a couple thousand rounds through each of them. No apparent wear and they both shoot great.

Nice guns...I see the different grips. How do they compare? I was having trouble with shooting a little left with mine so I bought the Hogue grip that you have...hoping to improve my grip. I have large hands and I am hoping it helps stabilize the shots (with using the extended mag as well).

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
The only issues I have ever heard of were ones that were the very first run that were built on 238 frames and has some issuese ..But that was years again so you should be great

The only problems I ever had problems with was the grip serration and ambi safty ..but I got the sport model with houge grips and had sig take off the side safety now great
So you sent yours to Sig and they changed it to a single sided safety lever? What did they charge to do that? Did it make the safety easier to manipulate?

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Nice guns...I see the different grips. How do they compare? I was having trouble with shooting a little left with mine so I bought the Hogue grip that you have...hoping to improve my grip. I have large hands and I am hoping it helps stabilize the shots (with using the extended mag as well).
The one with the hogue grip is mine, to fit my larger hands. My wife prefers the original grips.
I also shoot a little off-center with the original grips and, for me, the hogue grip resolved that issue... plus it's just more comfortable for me :) I did have to cut away some of the rubber on the front strap to accommodate the CT laser, but that was trivial.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
Lot's of metal framed guns are steel slide on aluminum frames. P220, 228, 229, 225, 226, Beretta 92 series, etc. Keep the slide rails lubed just as you would any other pistol and you'll be fine. I've owned a few dozen of that style gun over the years, and aside from a little finish wear, I've yet to see one actually damaged. Even on 40yo police trade guns like my Beretta 92S that dates back to the 70's. No excessive play in the slide/frame contact points, just a little finish wear.

My P938 has ~500rds through it, and it still looks new on the slide rails. Buy with confidence.
Even some CZs have aluminum frames and a steel slide. I don't understand why people would question aluminum framed firearms, but have no issues or qualms about plastic framed pistols...

·
Registered
673 Posts
I noticed most of the black finish has worn off on my P938 frame rails. Since thats happened I have been using my 22lr conversion kit alot more, which puts alot less wear on the gun.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts