Defensive Carry banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought a Sig Romeo5 red dot for my new Ruger AR-556. It comes with a low mount riser and a 1.41" riser.

The problem I'm having is even with the high riser installed, I can't see the dot. I need to install the entire mount on another riser to see the dot.

Any generic ideas on what my problem might be? I've messed with how I'm holding it against my cheek, I've messed with the length of the butt stock, I've moved it from one end of the rail to another and nothing helps but more height.

If it matters I'm RH but left eye dominant, which is why I generally go for the red dots (trying to use iron sights or a scope is a futile exercise in yoga positions or weirdly taped safety glasses).

Thanks.

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
So I just bought a Sig Romeo5 red dot for my new Ruger AR-556. It comes with a low mount riser and a 1.41" riser.

The problem I'm having is even with the high riser installed, I can't see the dot. I need to install the entire mount on another riser to see the dot.

Any generic ideas on what my problem might be? I've messed with how I'm holding it against my cheek, I've messed with the length of the butt stock, I've moved it from one end of the rail to another and nothing helps but more height.

If it matters I'm RH but left eye dominant, which is why I generally go for the red dots (trying to use iron sights or a scope is a futile exercise in yoga positions or weirdly taped safety glasses).

Thanks.
Are you able to boresight it by taking off the upper and at least looking through the bore and line up the dot?

Even without a laser you can get it in the ballpark from across the room at a door knob or light switch.

As for the eyes, of you're going for shooting with two eyes open you'll need to mount the dot as far forward as practical or switch to shooting lefty.

In the meantime, just close the left eye and see what your sight picture is with only the right rye.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you able to boresight it by taking off the upper and at least looking through the bore and line up the dot?

Even without a laser you can get it in the ballpark from across the room at a door knob or light switch.

As for the eyes, of you're going for shooting with two eyes open you'll need to mount the dot as far forward as practical or switch to shooting lefty.

In the meantime, just close the left eye and see what your sight picture is with only the right rye.

That's one of my problems. I can't close my left eye. Only way I can do that is with the specially taped safety glasses.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
However, you were also absolutely right. I put on my makeshift left eye blocking glasses, put up the rifle, and bam, there was the dot. Thanks!

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
However, you were also absolutely right. I put on my makeshift left eye blocking glasses, put up the rifle, and bam, there was the dot. Thanks!
So, for real. If you can not close your left eye, you may need to shoot lefty or explore a different optic.

I've had better luck as a cross dominant shooter with the big window / reticle of the EO Tech mounted as far forward on the upper receiver or if on a monolithic even out onto the rail past the upper receiver.

One of the reasons dots on handguns works well for us cross dominant shooters is that the optic is out where the front sight of a long gun would normally be.

With long guns the dot is too close.

See if you can find a big box gun shop that has optics mounted on dummy rifles and see if you can try some different options.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts