Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at Cabelas yesterday looking for some hollow points for carry. I see Federal Hydrashock 147gr for $22.99, Federal HST 124 gr for $24.99/box, Federal Low Recoil 135gr for $24.99, Hornady XTP 147 gr for $19.99/box.

Then I see Sig Sauer V-crown JHP 124 gr for 14.99/box, as well as 147gr for $14.99/box.

I know Sig is a good brand for the actual gun itself, but is it not a good brand for ammo? why is it so much cheaper?

Second question is do I want 124gr or 147 gr? it seems to be the same price.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I've got two boxes of 147gr HST coming this week from SGammo.com for $24.99/50. I only buy defensive ammo in store if I find a smoking deal, or if I need something I can't wait for.

I'm sure the Sig stuff will do the job, I've bought a few boxes in various calibers, and it all ran fine.

I don't get too picky about weight. I prefer heavier rounds, but I don't feel unsafe with lighter rounds either.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Can you feel the weight difference when carrying, when fully loaded with 147gr vs 124r
With the Taurus (12+1) the difference in weight between the 124gr and 147gr is about 3/4 of an ounce (actually 0.78 ounces). I think you would be pretty hard pressed to feel the difference, but I guess its possible.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
With the Taurus (12+1) the difference in weight between the 124gr and 147gr is about 3/4 of an ounce (actually 0.78 ounces). I think you would be pretty hard pressed to feel the difference, but I guess its possible.
But what's funny is people will swear they can't carry one gun over another over 1/2oz.

I agree though, The difference in felt weight isn't enough to notice in most cases. I know one guy that ankle carries a G27, and runs that super light LIberty ammo to save weight. On your hip, or even with a pocket gun with only 6-7rds on board, I doubt you would notice.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Price also depends on if the box contains 20 or 25 rounds.
Usually find it online much cheaper per round.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
In 9mm I use 147s to get a little additional penetration and I also feel that the 147s are somewhat soften shooting, so I'm back on target faster. I also reload 147s to the tune of about 12,000 a year and a bunch of those are loaded to mimic my carry ammo.

The SIG V-Crown is actually a Sierra bullet. I've reloaded them in 357SIG, and they shoot pretty well. There have been some reviews done that indicate they preform pretty well:

http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/sig-sauer-v-crown-ammo-review/

I recommend buying on line, especially the LE boxes of 50 when you can get them.

Chuck

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
I was at Cabelas yesterday looking for some hollow points for carry. I see Federal Hydrashock 147gr for $22.99, Federal HST 124 gr for $24.99/box, Federal Low Recoil 135gr for $24.99, Hornady XTP 147 gr for $19.99/box.

Then I see Sig Sauer V-crown JHP 124 gr for 14.99/box, as well as 147gr for $14.99/box.

I know Sig is a good brand for the actual gun itself, but is it not a good brand for ammo? why is it so much cheaper?

Second question is do I want 124gr or 147 gr? it seems to be the same price.
Interesting you never mentioned caliber.

All performance things I've seen and the FBI Performance on them and review of shootings, suggests the 124 gr & 125 gr (depending upon the caliber you are buying ) perform better and do more damage then the higher grain bullets.

Myself ... I'ld go with the Federal Hyrdoshock ... 124 gr in 9 mm, or 125 gr in .357. If given the choice I would go with HST.

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
Is this ammo bonded? If it is I think I will pick up some at that price!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have shot a few boxes of the sig 124 grain jhp. It has functioned great and is very accurate through my p320. I don't know much about its terminal performance though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
185 Posts
I ran A box of Hydra Shock through my Bodyguard. No problems. BuffaloBore makes a nice cartridge. I run those through my .38. SWCHP +P once in a while. Supposedly the preferred round by the FBI. They're painful to shoot. The .380 +P looks interesting.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I have ran a couple boxes of Sig V Crown in my 38 super Government model. It seems to run well in that particular caliber. There are some Gel tests out in various calibers also on YouTube. I like the fact in 38 super it is actually loaded in 38 super velocities so much is far watered down.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts