Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently running Ameriglo Hackathorn sight on my Glock 43 and 23. The only concern I have is that there is no glow on the back sights (as designed). I have old glock night sights for my 23 in storage. Would my guns be accurate with glock night sights on the rear with the hackathorn front sight on the front? I don’t know about mixing sights. The idea is that I already have the 23 back sights and just the rear night sight for the 42 would be cheaper than two new Ameriglo back sights for both guns (which is almost as much as a new set). Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
If you are thinking of putting the rear sight from the 23 on the 43 it will most likely not work....will be too wide.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I have the back sight already to put on the 23. I would have to buy a glock factory rear night sight for 43, but that would still be cheaper than having to go out and buy two new expensive rear sights for both the 23 and 43 if the rear glock sight wouldn’t work.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Try out the configuration to see if it works for you. Personally I don’t need sights inside 7 yds in defensive situations.

Reactions: gasmitty

·
Registered
11,097 Posts
If they are the same height, it should work. If not, your shots will hit low or high.

·
Super Moderator
19,778 Posts
My two cents' worth says it depends on your intended use.

I've had night sights on 3 defensive pistols, and as they near the end of their useful lives I'm not replacing them. What I've found through practice is that night sights are simply not bright enough to help me index the handgun substantially better than I do naturally. But take that with a grain of salt/reality; I compete in club-level matches and I shoot around 1000 rounds a month. My defensive handguns are mostly the same type as my game guns. Within 10 yards or so - fairly representative of "social" and home defensive encounters - I'm launching rounds with more of a point shooting/flash sight picture than a deliberate alignment of front and rear sights. Given time to align front and rear sights properly to achieve a good hit on target, night sights can be a great asset. I've run my own experiments and for me, they simply are not worth the substantial cost. YMMV.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
@ Ernest12
" Would my guns be accurate with glock night sights on the rear with the hackathorn front sight on the front"
Shoot em and see where the POI is & go from there ; )
H/D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. The glock 43 is my CCW gun and my glock 23 is my woods carry gun. Where I live the .40 is plenty for what I may encounter outdoors. I also use the glock 23 for home defense. I can forsee needing the glock 23 in very low light conditions, where as the 43 would be used more in a town setting. However, I like to run both guns on the a same sights. Heck I talked myself out of selling the 43 for a sig 365 because I like the idea of have guns with similar dimensions, grip angle, trigger, and sights.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
No, I have the back sight already to put on the 23. I would have to buy a glock factory rear night sight for 43, but that would still be cheaper than having to go out and buy two new expensive rear sights for both the 23 and 43 if the rear glock sight wouldn’t work.
Sorry I misread your original post. How much have you shot the Hackathorns? I have the exact set up on my G26 and have grown to like them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry I misread your original post. How much have you shot the Hackathorns? I have the exact set up on my G26 and have grown to like them.
Oh I really like them! It’s just in the dark they don’t do much because of the blacked out rear. I actually put these on my gun to help with speed for my job and it helped a lot. Eyes go straight to that big beautiful orange front sight.

·
Registered
19,591 Posts
The only thing I want to see is my front sight unless I am target shooting.

Reactions: nj709

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Now you all are making me want to update my Trijicon's. When I had them new, low light or full daylight the things worked great. Now, in full daylight, the big white dot is a fine front sight. Combined with a shallow v rear sight, I can hit within 4" of point of aim at 15 yards from a draw.
The thing is, even though they are dying, in pitch black, I can pick them up enough to orient the pistol.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Oh I really like them! It’s just in the dark they don’t do much because of the blacked out rear. I actually put these on my gun to help with speed for my job and it helped a lot. Eyes go straight to that big beautiful orange front sight.
I have run mine through several night qualifications for my work and did not have any problems.

Do you know if both rear sights are the same height? If so, the swap should work. Ultimately you will likely have to swap them out and shoot to see what happens.

·
Registered
6,812 Posts
I run all my defensive guns with front tritium only and blacked out rear sights. It’s much easier to focus on the front sight with it being the only illumination, your eyes don’t fight to figure out which of the three glowing orbs should be centered.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I run all my defensive guns with front tritium only and blacked out rear sights. It’s much easier to focus on the front sight with it being the only illumination, your eyes don’t fight to figure out which of the three glowing orbs should be centered.
I get that. I went with green up front and orange in back. My eye seems to focus on the green nicely.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts