Defensive Carry banner

Silly dilemma

1K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  NaturalSelection 
#1 ·
Okay you guys will understand I hope.

My gun collection is not large. It's more than most people have but it's not large.

But yet I find myself with a few things I haven't shot in a while. I know I should get rid of them, but I always talk myself out of it.

I don't intend to get rid of XXX and never replace it, I just want to condense it all into something better. You know, fewer pieces, greater quality. Honestly I'd rather have a few I'll use all the time that are top notch.

But I don't want to let certain things go for dumb reasons sometimes. "Well that Norinco might be worth another $25 two years from now... never mind the fact I haven't done crap with it in the last 6 months and someone just gave me a better gun to replace it with..."

Ever faced this silly dilemma?

#2 ·
Yep, I have. Sometimes I sell things and regret it and sometimes I never give it another thought.

I think I'm getting less sentimental/attached to guns and am able to evaluate their worth to me from a use perspective. Then again...

#3 ·
All the time. Often... I'll do pretty well by selling X, Y, Z and buying one "A" with all the money - so I've upgraded.
What has hurt is the times I've sold something and then find myself really missing it, even though I may not have used it - was just something I wanted to have. A few months ago, I sold one of those Marlin Cowboy lever guns in 45-70 with the long octagon barrel. In three years, I'd never even fired it... but now I wish I'd kept it.
The only rule I've made for myself has to do with brand. In other words, I will not ever sell a Colt (for example), since I figure that right or wrong, it will hold its value. Of course, not necessarily true, but at least it makes me feel better, and gives me a few guns that I'm saying are just not for sale.

#5 ·
Yeah, even though I got some MAJOR $$ for that AR-15 (green gun) and bought three other guns with the proceeds, I regret that sale. Also the Colt 4x scope that was on top. I also now regret selling the Python. LOL Since they won't be made anymore now.

#7 ·
I have reached something near my saturation point - meaning I have most of what I really want - tho always will be others!!

Some get shot very little but are there because I like them - enjoy just possession even. Those that go are ones that either do not work out (not many of those!) or as more recently a trade for something that would be more used and useful, compared with a little used, near safe queen!

I shall only sell some of mine on when I need to liquify assets for whatever reason - which might well mean buying another!

#8 ·
Having only a few currently, I don't have your problem. I have regretted, however, selling or trading the long guns I had as a kid/teenager and would now love to have. Darn kids - they make silly decisions! :frown:

#10 ·
Hello. A fine man now passed, who was like a grandfather told me, "If you get a good gun you like, don't ever get rid of it." The times I have not gone by his suggestion, I've regretted it. In the last several years, I keep the ones I like whether or not I shoot them very much. There seems to be a general core of handguns I regularly shoot or hunt with and some do double duty as "carry guns" but there are also those that might be used but a few times per year.

Speaking only for myself, I suggest that if you own any firearm you simply like, keep it if at all feasible.

Best.

#11 ·
It's not a sin to trade a gun you don't like or never use as long as you are trading UP to something you do like...even if you have to add some cash on the trade. :hand10:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.