Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,533 Posts
That's a great idea. Personnally I think the last picture on the page has a bit too much silly string on the tripwire...... But, that's just me.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Improvization - always a good way to go.

Find something existing, simple - and adapt it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
This was tested back in the early '90s by some organizations in the military.

What if you put too much on the wire? How much is too much? Is the button on top of the can appropriate for regulating the 'string' in a life or death situation? If you're using this to ID wires in a suspicious area how much do you spray? I certainly wouldn't want to be the guy standing within range and pushing the button on the can. It's a cool idea (and I'm certainly not qualified to say whether it's better than nothing) but I certainly wouldn't want to be the guy that sends a can of 'Silly String' to a deployed buddy and loses a friend who can't wait to try it. Just my .02.

rstickle...it would be interesting to hear more of the EOD perspective on this.

·
Super Moderator
25,533 Posts
Rgr5280 said:
What if you put too much on the wire? How much is too much? Is the button on top of the can appropriate for regulating the 'string' in a life or death situation? If you're using this to ID wires in a suspicious area how much do you spray? I certainly wouldn't want to be the guy standing within range and pushing the button on the can. It's a cool idea (and I'm certainly not qualified to say whether it's better than nothing) but I certainly wouldn't want to be the guy that sends a can of 'Silly String' to a deployed buddy and loses a friend who can't wait to try it. Just my .02.

rstickle...it would be interesting to hear more of the EOD perspective on this.
That was sort of my point, that "glob" (Technincal term :biggrin: ) in the last picture made me a little nervous.

Having said that, there should (note the word) be enough tension to hold a couple strands, if not you'd probably have to many "accidental" firings. I like the idea, and in some situations might use the stuff sparingly. Would I bet my life on it...... Never did, never will! :smile:

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
cool use for an otherwise useless product.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Maybe this is just me, but my understanding of the house to house fighting in Iraq right, you really don't have time nor the ability to call in EOD to clear every room. If you can use silly string, which has a possibility to set off IED's, but it will find them, or to just walk in blind; I'd choose the silly string. It isn't the perfect solution, but it is the best one available.

A1C Lickey

·
Super Moderator
25,533 Posts
A1C Lickey said:
Maybe this is just me, but my understanding of the house to house fighting in Iraq right, you really don't have time nor the ability to call in EOD to clear every room. If you can use silly string, which has a possibility to set off IED's, but it will find them, or to just walk in blind; I'd choose the silly string. It isn't the perfect solution, but it is the best one available.
That is true, and there is no way you are going to get EOD support all the time.

I know there are usually less than 1000 EOD Techs in the Army at any one time (both officer and enlisted). I'm not sure about the numbers in the other services. So we have always been few and far between.

I guess the most important thing is what you do after you find the trip-wire!:boom:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts