Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 654 Posts

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Silver is down below $16. If you are wanting to get some silver, now is a great time to buy.

Of course, it could go down further, but I haven't seen it this low in a long time.

·
Administrator
143,830 Posts
Silver has not been this low in a very long time. Yes, it could go even lower as (may very well) Gold.
If it (Silver) goes too much lower the Silver mines will LOSE money by mining, refining & minting it so they may shut down and that possibly will start sending prices back up again. Who knows though. :confused: Metals are a very highly manipulated market these days.
There continues an intentional effort to keep folks out of PMs and in the paper dollar.

I am going to just continue to buy about 5 ounces per month. Either way "up or further down" doing that will not break my bank.

·
Premium Member
3,841 Posts
On a more serious note, I need to take the time to pull money out of the market. I do not trust where we are - I think the market is seriously over-priced right now. Unemployment and more importantly employment participation is really ugly and company profits are generally being driven by cost cutting; which is not a sustainable business model. Europe is a mess and China is a bubble waiting to burst. I am going to pull everything out and sit on the sidelines for a while to see what happens. I may need to pick up some precious metals to diversify a bit.

Thanks for the tip and reminder!

·
Premium Member
5,462 Posts
Silver is a no brainier buy right now. Rhodium is also crazy low right now. It's been as high as $10,000, and now it's trading below gold.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I guess it's time to go back to using my 100oz bar for a doorstop, since it's nearly worthless now. Shouldda listened to my mother. She said to cash it in when silver was above $30.
It'll go back up over $50 an ounce when the bottom falls out of the economy.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I haven't seen any at my local grocer. How does one buy this stuff?

Reactions: gloves12

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
Guns and ammo are my silver!
I struggle with how heavy to go into precious metals. I'm also managing an estate and selling off some land so siblings can get some cash, but now I have to come up with a plan on where to put my share. I'm terrified of the stock market. Any financial gurus want to toss a bone to a simple working man here?

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I still have my 401K 100% in the S&P. I am not ready to pull the plug yet because Nov-Jan are usually the most bullish months. That said, I am keeping my finger on the trigger. We are overdue for a correction of 10-20%, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Although the current trend in metals (gold, silver ..etc) means people who have a lot of them are loosing value, I for one am pleased to see this trend. When rich people got scared, they bought gold thinking a period of hyperinflation was around the corner. Seeing gold drop in price, means they are over their fear.

Silver is 1000 times more plentiful and 100 times more useful. Seeing silver at these prices is a good thing for the same reasons. It was a personal frustration that first gold, then silver ever got to those levels! As the wealth hoarders loose their fear of investing in business, products and those employed by such businesses, we "the unwashed masses" finally have a chance to grow our lives again. Good news indeed!

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Guns and ammo are my silver!
Back in 2011, I told someone that my metal investments were primarily lead and copper. Bullets and cartridge cases.
With the ammo created, I can protect someone else's gold and silver, acquire meat and defend myself.

The only "wealth metal" I can use as a substitute would be silver. Harder than copper, but can be used the same ways.
The only real value to gold lies in its resistance to corrosion and its density. Tungsten is denser and platinum has better resistance and density.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I haven't seen any at my local grocer. How does one buy this stuff?
Do you have a gold, silver, coin dealer near you? You may be able to buy from them on-line if their not physically close.

If you were to buy soon, I would buy bags of pre-1964 coins (90% silver) or buy bars. The coins will NEVER drop below their facevalue (they are still legal to use as money). Bars do not have the premium price/oz that minted coins have.

That said, there are some 1oz. silver coins I would buy, JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE PRETTY!

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
It's at levels not seen for almost 5 years and is technically oversold. However, the market can remain irrational longer than you can stay solvent. :)

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Well, I guess it's time to go back to using my 100oz bar for a doorstop, since it's nearly worthless now. Shouldda listened to my mother. She said to cash it in when silver was above $30.
Makes good bullets

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Gold and silver are not going up anytime in the near future. Gold and bonds will continue to lose money until there is any sign of rising interest rates, which won't happen any time soon. Equities are the best place to invest. The market is at all time highs and is not over sold. There are some good buys right now mostly in the US but also in Europe. Oil has almost bottomed. Now would probably be a good time to be buying refineries and some oil service companies. There will always be a need for energy. Solar is a loser at least until 2016. Coal is now a buy, at least for the next couple months.

Reactions: AzQkr
1 - 20 of 654 Posts