Defensive Carry banner

641 - 654 of 654 Posts

·
Administrator
143,825 Posts
I should add that if anybody is selling on Ebay- your photos can make a huge difference in the price you get for your item.

These days I ONLY buy if the item is Buy It Now!
I never bid and follow auctions anymore or "snipe" items in the final minute of an auction.

Regarding Silver & the pieces that are more "art" than just Ounces (like eagles, rounds, bars, or maple leaf) I dont care what the daily spot price is that day. I buy if my gut tells me that it will eventually be worth more than the metal weight.
I usually do really well. A few times I have bombed out.

My original plan was to sell when the collectible value shot way up.
I did a backflip on that and now I'm just going to pass them on to my nieces and nephew.

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
I should add that if anybody is selling on Ebay- your photos can make a huge difference in the price you get for your item.

These days I ONLY buy if the item is Buy It Now!
I never bid and follow auctions anymore or "snipe" items in the final minute of an auction.

Regarding Silver & the pieces that are more "art" than just Ounces (like eagles, rounds, bars, or maple leaf) I dont care what the daily spot price is that day. I buy if my gut tells me that it will eventually be worth more than the metal weight.
I usually do really well. A few times I have bombed out.

My original plan was to sell when the collectible value shot way up.
I did a backflip on that and now I'm just going to pass them on to my nieces and nephew.
I have been buying commemorative silver coins since the 1970's and silver Eagles every year.
I don't even know how many pounds I have.
I bought them for the historical content but it looks like they are becoming quite valuable now.
I hope I can pass them on to my sons and not have to use them to survive.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Well, my 2020 Silver Eagle for 19.99(free shipping) today! Spot price today is $25.27. Buying a Silver Eagle under spot with no premium and no shipping is pretty awesome. That was the promo item. Littleton also sent me a 2020 Silver Maple Leaf as the first coin in the monthly coin program. That was also $19.99. Another awesome deal. I paid for the Maple Leaf and cancelled the program. All the coins they will send on approval are way overpriced. These first two are to get you to join.

This is the second time I have done this with Littleton. They must be selling a lot of silver coins way below spot since the boys on the subreddit Silverbugs have been talking about this since it started. Wish I could do this more! I love buying gov't bullion without the premium and I love buying silver below spot! Might try and sign my dog up. That worked well with the music clubs back when I was a kid.

All told, I have two 2020 silver bullion coins for $40. Took me 5 minutes to sign up, 5 minutes to pay for the Maple Leaf and 1 minute to cancel membership. Previously no problems cancelling but they do send you junk mail.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
My 2016 Mexico Elementos has arrived!! These were medals made by the mint of Mexico as a commemorative. Reverse proof with ultra high relief. A bit of a premium as not very many of these were minted. I have a weakness for Mexican silver. The low mintages of things like the Libertad series make them semi-numismatic. Since the premiums are not much more than for high mintage gov't bullion like Eagles, I usually purchase libertads. I like buying bullion coins with a possible numismatic premium. For example, 30 million Silver Eagles a year vs the 2020 Libertad which is a mintage of 300,000. Makes bullion more fun. 300,000 is low even for the Mexicans and they already have a nice premium on eBay.

Anyhoo, here's the 2016 Elementos. Terrible picture but the best I could do. Photographing through the plastic holder plus it being so shiny for the reverse proof part goes well beyond my meager skills.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Been a good silver coin week for me! Just scored this 2007 Libertad. Mintage of only 200,000 but harder to find than the mintage suggests. Not that 200k is a lot compared to 9 million plus for the same year Silver Eagle. Getting close to finishing the set of 1 oz (38 coins). I still need the 1998 and 1999 at mintages of 67,000 and 95,000.

·
Super Moderator
23,987 Posts
I’ve always had a weakness for Mexican silver and silver coins.

Those are nice!

Where do you get the Mexican coins @MMinSC ?

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
I’ve always had a weakness for Mexican silver and silver coins.

Those are nice!
Thanks, me too. Just love the Mexican silver, especially for anything modern. I think they put our modern coin designs to shame. Collecting Libertads has been a challenge. The mint in Mexico just willy-nilly makes stuff with no rhyme or reason that I can understand. The mintages for their 1 ounce bullion is all over the place. 300,000 this year, 400,000 last year, and then they really worked hard in 2016 to crank out 1.4 million. Meanwhile, our mint is making 30-40 million Silver Eagles every year. Not even talking about the proof versions, some of which are only 1000 coins. Almost a joke really. Then there is the release date that is different every year. Usually they start arriving in the spring. This year, the 2020 coins are set to be delivered in December. Meanwhile, Australia, US, Great Britian, China, South Africa and Germany have already released their 2021 bullion coins.

·
Administrator
143,825 Posts
I just checked out Ebay for prices that assorted sellers are asking for various 1 OZ .999 stuff over "spot."
It's getting mighty silly.
And buyers are buying.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Where do you get the Mexican coins @MMinSC ?
The ones I posted today I purchased on a FB group:

Others I purchase from the subReddit: R/PMsforsale

And eBay when I have to. You just have to track down the low mintage stuff and meeting some people in collector groups has helped.

For new releases, I buy from the major bullion dealers like Apmex, Monument, BGASC, etc, depending on price. BGASC had the fairest premiums for pre-sale 2020s. $2 more than Silver Eagles so quite reasonable considering the low mintage was announced before the coins were available.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
I just checked out Ebay for prices that assorted sellers are asking for various 1 OZ .999 stuff over "spot."
It's getting mighty silly.
And buyers are buying.
Silver Eagles have been $4-5 over spot lately. They were $12-15 premiums this spring and all sold out. There was, and still is to a certain point, a divergence in the price relationship of paper spot price and the actual in your hand physical silver price. Even dealer buy prices had a pretty high premium. Makes me wonder what would happen in a situatiion(monetary/disaster/coup/etc) where the demand really became serious. Like ammo, it just disappears instantly. This spring/summer was just people thinking they needed silver. Imagine if they actually did need it.

641 - 654 of 654 Posts