Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm flying to Virginia soon. Should I utilize my hard-sided pistol case and my main bag seperately? -- or should I pack my hard-sided pistol case in my main bag - at the top of the bag?

·
Registered
3 Posts
packing the pistol

Yes, use your hard case to pack your pistol in. Make sure you have at least one good lock on the hard case. A lock that only you have the key for, not a TSA lock.
The outside of the suitcase can have a TSA lock on it as another precaution.
Declare during check-in that you have an unloaded firearm. They will want to see it, usually you will have to put in a signed card that it is unloaded. Lock the hard case in front of them and then lock the outside of the suitcase. They will either take it from you there or walk you to the TSA check-in for you to put the case directly on the screening belt.

Make sure you have plenty of time before your flight, and make sure you do not have any of the "extras" in your carry on.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you suggest I pack my pistol case inside of my suitcase together? You don't think the airline will make me separate them?

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
I've always packed my pistol case (locked, of course) inside my luggage, which is also locked as well.

JMHO, but it seems to me that my pistol case stowed out-of-sight inside my luggage would be somewhat less likely to walk away versus an obvious pistol case being alone and handled by who know's who?

·
Registered
571 Posts
JMHO, but it seems to me that my pistol case stowed out-of-sight inside my luggage would be somewhat less likely to walk away versus an obvious pistol case being alone and handled by who know's who?
+1

Excellent read, retsupt.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I bought one of those locking metal cases and carry it inside of my luggage. It gets locked after inspection and then the bag gets locked as well. A separate pistol case would be an open invitation for theft.

Armydad

·
Registered
129 Posts
Deviant makes a good point - a pistol locked inside of a full-sized piece of hard luggage is a lot less likely to grow legs during the baggage handling. A small (locked) pistol case inside your unsecure suitcase is much easier to make disappear.

PLUS, if you put your pistol inside of a (properly constructed, locked) full size hard case, you can securely check other valuables - cameras, laptops, etc - without paranoia.

I found the steel 81mm mortar cases he uses at Coleman's for $20 each (plus $20 shipping...)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Packing your case within a case is a personal choice, and it seems to have been addressed...

There are some other concerns to mention, though you may be fully aware of them. I'm not sure which airport you are flying into in VA, but if it is Dulles or DCA be aware that, while Commonwealth law was recently changed to permit standard VA rules for carrying/transporting on airport property from the property line to the front door.

However, Washington Metro Airports Authority police still have a policy that makes it a felony (they have the power to make regulatory law) to be in possession of a firearm on airport property (one memo from the director indicated that this could include a person checking a cased firearm). Since the change in Commonwealth law, this is not enforceable, and I have not heard of anyone being detained or harassed over this. But, be aware of this issue.

What I mean to say, is be discrete...its Virginia, and VA is friendly to being armed, but if you are going to Northern Virginia, its a different culture and you should be careful to avoid unnecessary unpleasantness.

If you are going through RIC (Richmond), you won't have a problem. Enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I went through Washinton National with no problems both ways.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
11,498 Posts
Put it in the main bag. Don't make it a separate bag to be checked. Best way to get your gun stolen by the convicted felon baggage handler. There are lots of them out there.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have found flying in and out of Northern Virginia airports to be no better or worse than other airports. I try and watch my bag as far along the process as I can (at DCA this means that I can watch TSA run it through the machine for checked luggage). I have found security to be a little more personable at DCA than at IAD but I prefer National to Dulles for a host of reasons.

Coming from out of town, be careful that you don't get mis-oriented and cross into DC inadvertently. Also be aware that near DCA is the George Washington Parkway (as in a National Park) and that out near Dulles there are stretches of road that also run through National Parks (Route 29 Lee Highway runs right through Manassas National Battlefield Park). It is my understanding that the changes in National Park carry do not change until February.

·
Banned
226 Posts
Anybody had any experience with a lay over and change of flight? Especially one that may go through gun unfriendly states like IL or WI?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Don't forget the most important thing of all: If you put your pistol inside your regular luggage, your luggage WILL NOT get lost. It's the closest thing you can have to a courier deliver it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've always packed my pistol case (locked, of course) inside my luggage, which is also locked as well.

Pack a locked hard side gun case in your regular luggage, out-of-sight out-of mind, you keep the key, allow extra time to check in. When you arrive at destination, FIRST THING, check it is still there... all should go well. But TSA does not allow you to lock your luggage itself. If they decide to randomly check your bag, they will either break the lock or pull you off the flight with your luggage and check it. You could miss your flight.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Man, thanks everyone. It seems the general consensus is to definitely pack my pistol case within my regular luggage to have them checked together. I appreciate everyone's help. DefensiveCarry is easily the best forum on the 'net. Thanks again.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well then, after I clicked the link to the descriptive article on page one of this thread, I'm torn between using my hard case alone for the gun and my main baggage separately, or packing a smaller case with the gun within my main baggage. I have some serious thinking to do.

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
So you suggest I pack my pistol case inside of my suitcase together? You don't think the airline will make me separate them?
Yes...pack pistol case in suitcase.

No...the airline will not make you separate them.

Been flying with guns for years...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts