Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, ok maybe not sing... esp you Chris-P95. :smile:

Went back to the pawnshop that sold me the Marlin 1894 I posted earlier. At that time they had a Kahr MK9 in the case for $400, looked pretty close to new condition. Went back today and they had sold it. :frown:

BUT what they DID have in the case: a Sig P226, $500, very little wear. Even better they had a 228, including case and 3 mags, that they were waiting on police checks before putting out. They plan to price it around $500 also.

So I ask the Sig carriers here:

1. Good price?
2. Can anyone convince me to replace my old reliable Speed Six with a Sig?

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
price doesnt sound bad for around here if you can get used to the controls go for it Speed Six are great guns but Add to not replace it

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, don't worry... I won't sell/ trade the Ruger, but if I buy the Sig, and decide I like it the Ruger would get replaced as primary CCW.

·
Super Moderator
25,535 Posts
I'd say go for it. I think you'll enjoy the SIG, and they are reliable, great shooters. Not that I'm bias. :image035:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Robb - indeed as long as you are keeping the Ruger that's fine - oh and - I won't sing - it would not be kind to anyone.

I will tho speak soft of the SIG's LOL! Yes my 226 ST is daily carry but the 228 is easily slipped in rig if I want to save some weight and size - they both have CT's and night sights.

For you - I certainly think a SIG as a 1º would be good - it is more of a carry piece really but you'd need to decide what your carry limitations are, if any. The 228 saves you a bit of bulk but IIRC max cap will be 12. The 226 will take a 15.

Prices seem pretty OK overall. Three mags with 228 could just swing it, if 226 only comes with 10's.

I am assuming you mean 9mm's here - forgot to ask!

·
Registered
39 Posts
rstickle said:
I'd say go for it. I think you'll enjoy the SIG, and they are reliable, great shooters. Not that I'm bias. :image035:
I agree on the SIG, it is very dependable, accurate and will deliver when you depend on it. :hand10:

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
Nothing wrong with Sig's.

·
Banned
318 Posts
I can be ultra nitpicky about my handguns at times. I've nothing to fault the 226 for and I own 2. Well wait, they are 9's but that's why I bought them anyway.:biggrin2:

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
GO FOR THE SIG 228 ..... much easier to carry,,, and they're more scarce than the 226...........500.00 is a STEAL for that 228

·
Registered
940 Posts
The 228 saves you a bit of bulk but IIRC max cap will be 12. The 226 will take a 15.
Mec-gar (Sig OEM)'s + capacity mags up that a hair. ;0

The 226 is merely average - I sell CPOs all day long in the $480 range or less.

The 228 takes a premium - it's way underpriced.

I don't notice any practical ease of carry differences between the two - it's a very minor difference. Until you drop down to the 239s, they're still big, big guns.

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
For $500 I'd definitly buy the Sig.

Not only is all the good talk about the Sig in the previous posts correct but let me tell you about their service.

I have a Sig 229, 9m/m that I bought used at a gun show here in Las Vegas. At around 2000 rounds after purchase, it locked up one day. After getting it home and field stripping it, (no easy task) one frame rail fell off in my hand, the other was cracked about half way down the frame.

I called the service rep at Sig Arms and explained my problem, to include that it was a previously owned firearm. He instructed me to box it up and ship it to him for evaluation.

I did so and 30 days later I had a brand new Sig 226 complete with 2 15 round mags.

So I say, "Buy a Sig, you won't be disappointed".

(incidently, my Sig has shot up to 2,000 rounds without a cleaning or a drop of oil and in around 15,000 rounds now has never had a hic up).

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot to say ... KEEP that Ruger too, cuz it's a GREAT gun to have ............"Just in case"

·
Registered
940 Posts
acparmed said:
For $500 I'd definitly buy the Sig.

Not only is all the good talk about the Sig in the previous posts correct but let me tell you about their service.
I'm aware of similar stories to yours - they're certainly a case of 'above and beyond' in any case I've had to deal with.

Then again, I own eight of 'em now and that's one reason. They're the only manufacturer I'd carry a gun out of the box with without testing a shot if I had 30 seconds to look it over for fit + obvious obstructions.

·
Super Moderator
25,535 Posts
P95Carry said:
I am assuming you mean 9mm's here - forgot to ask!
Chris - Actually you don't get the choice with the 228, 9mm is the only way it comes. If I remember correctly, after SIG did the 228 they liked it so much they came out with the 229 and it has 9, 357, and 40. The 228 is also the military M11.

(That concludes your SIG history lesson for the day! :image035: )

1 - 20 of 38 Posts