Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a gun that is a single stack 9mm that is extremely reliable? I'm not talking about guns that are mostly reliable but require 3 trips back to the company to be in working order. I mean, out of the box flat out reliable.

From what I have read it seems that the Walther PPS has an extremely low number of reliability complaints. Same goes for CZ. What about the XDs? That seems to be an amazing option but I have read quite a few reports on reliability issues with that firearm.

I am looking for a slim sub-compact 9mm as my first carry gun. I am a total gun noob so I want something that is going to work out of the box and be reliable. Any suggestions?

I do realize that people on the internet are most likely to be discussing reliability problems and 99% of gun owners who have reliable guns don't post on the internet. However, it is clear that glock is reliable and some other firearms are not. Kahr comes to mind, with the majority who absolutely love them but a good amount of people who had multiple Kahr's and every one had major malfunctions. That is not something I want to even consider if I am having to use a gun in self defense.

·
Premium Member
36,961 Posts
I would recommend dropping the single stack idea and get either a Glock or M&P. I carry both, having worked my way up from low-capacity sub-compacts through double-stack compacts to full-sized. The only single stacker I carry anymore is a 10mm S&W, which is a 9+1.

·
Registered
9 Posts
As you may guess by my name I am a big fan of the PPS 9mm. Have had 0 issues with about 600-700 rounds of all brands down the pipe. It carry's like a small gun but feels and shoots like a much bigger gun. I couldn't be happier with mine!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Xds I have is flawless but its 45 from what I understand you need a good grip on it otherwise it may have problems ive beem raised with a gun in my hanf so I dont have a problem. I hear good things about the LC9 too.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Newer built Walther PPS. Slim, compact, easy to conceal. Mags come in 6, 7 and 8 rounds, carry with one round chambered and the mag topped off and you got 7, 8 and 9 rounds. Extra magazine in 6 or 7 round capacity disappears in a front pant pocket.

Reactions: AK_Brian

·
Registered
37 Posts
santa clause, toothfairy, easter rabbit, and Obama all carry the same single stack super reliable 9mm...
The Makarov is the closest thing to a single stack with that type of reliability. However, it's really too heavy and the cartridge is lacking in power. I still own a Mak but I carry a Glock. The extra width isn't too hard to dress around.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
The Sig P239 is on the large end, being close to the size of a Glock 19, but is a single-stack 9mm with a reliable reputation. The Walther PPS is much smaller and has a good reputation as well. The M&P Shield has very positive reviews (including mine), but it is newer, so you can't really say it has a track record of reliability at this point. The Kahr K9 is a steel single-stack, and it has a good reputation, as does the polymer-frame P9, though the polymer Kahr guns tend to need about 200 rounds through them to ensure reliability.

·
Premium Member
10,172 Posts
Sig P938 I have two and they have both been flawless.
Walther PPS

·
Registered
314 Posts
Also consider the Beretta Nano. The newest iterations are reliable. I have 250 rds. through mine with zero problems. I love my Nano. It's a single 9mm.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
A few come to mind the Sig P239, Walther PPS, and classics like the Smith 3913. The best for last the H&K P7M8

Some that are newer and less proven: XDs (in 9mm eventually), S&W Shield, Sig P938.

·
Super Moderator
19,904 Posts
Is there a gun that is a single stack 9mm that is extremely reliable? I'm not talking about guns that are mostly reliable but require 3 trips back to the company to be in working order. I mean, out of the box flat out reliable.

I am looking for a slim sub-compact 9mm as my first carry gun. I am a total gun noob so I want something that is going to work out of the box and be reliable. Any suggestions?
Yep, here's a suggestion: Disabuse yourself of the notion that you need a subcompact gun for concealed carry! If this is to be your first carry piece, I strongly suggest that you start off at full-size or close to it, get used to that, and then specialize by reducing the package size. Why? Small guns are more convenient to carry but LOTS harder to shoot well. So many people shun a full-size 1911 Government Model when it's really easier to carry concealed than a compact Glock (e.g., a G23). Having done both, I feel qualified in offering that opinion.

Especially for a self-proclaimed 'gun noob', my opinion (worth what you paid for it) is to avoid the teeny guns and learn the basics of accurately shooting and carrying a standard-sized sidearm before you delve into the subcompacts. A 4-inch 1911 or a compact Glock (not subcompact), XD or M&P is where I'd want you to start. Noted instructor Clint Smith says "carrying a gun should be comforting, not comfortable" in making the point that you adjust your apparel around the gun, and not vice-versa.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep, here's a suggestion: Disabuse yourself of the notion that you need a subcompact gun for concealed carry! If this is to be your first carry piece, I strongly suggest that you start off at full-size or close to it, get used to that, and then specialize by reducing the package size. Why? Small guns are more convenient to carry but LOTS harder to shoot well. So many people shun a full-size 1911 Government Model when it's really easier to carry concealed than a compact Glock (e.g., a G23). Having done both, I feel qualified in offering that opinion.

Especially for a self-proclaimed 'gun noob', my opinion (worth what you paid for it) is to avoid the teeny guns and learn the basics of accurately shooting and carrying a standard-sized sidearm before you delve into the subcompacts. A 4-inch 1911 or a compact Glock (not subcompact), XD or M&P is where I'd want you to start. Noted instructor Clint Smith says "carrying a gun should be comforting, not comfortable" in making the point that you adjust your apparel around the gun, and not vice-versa.
Great post Smitty!

Honestly, my main concern is living in south Florida with extreme heat. 99% of the time I am wearing shorts and a t-shirt, unless it is a cold winter night. Therefore, I thought that my best bet would be something that was smaller. If I was not in S FL I would not even be considering anything smaller than a standard sized gun.

I suppose that a standard sized gun could be concealed with cargo shorts, a belt and a t-shirt, so I guess you are right about that. Printing is not an option, I live with and interact with many people who would be appalled that I carry a firearm so whatever I am carrying must be completely concealed.

You are saying that even a pocket carried small gun like a j-frame or CM9 or LCP would be a bad move for someone new to firearms and concealed carry?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
^^^^

Yes, that was excellent advice from gasmitty, I should have read your post more closely. For a first gun you would be well served to follow his advice because you need training and range practice time and you will take quite a handicap with a short sight radius, light weight-heavy recoiling gun.
I am in his camp of carry a fighting sized gun and I do that even in shorts and a T, while VA isn't as uncomfortable as FL during summer months I stick to the fighting sized gun in our humid summers. Tiny micro pistols are all the rage right now with a certain section. I feel under gunned with what many consider defensive guns today, but that is my personal preference.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts