Defensive Carry banner

How much practice should be required of those we pay to carry weapons in public?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much practice should we require of those who we pay to carry weapons in public?

For the purpose of this poll one box equals fifty rounds.

This is per weapon.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
How much do you want your taxes to go up? We should require them to be proficient. The pupose of their weapon is self protection, and protection of society. Some LEO are gun guys, some aren't. You don't have to be a gun guy to be a good cop. Being a gun guy want make you a good cop. Their agency sets the standard for proficiency.

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How much do you want your taxes to go up? We should require them to be proficient. The pupose of their weapon is self protection, and protection of society. Some LEO are gun guys, some aren't. You don't have to be a gun guy to be a good cop. Being a gun guy want make you a good cop. Their agency sets the standard for proficiency.
You get to be the head of their agency. How much do you want them to practice?

Rather than live fire practice, how about dry fire drills? Not saying dry fire exclusively of course, but to supplement the live fire.
Sure that is fine but how much live fire are they supplementing?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Numbers are hard to state, as some will be a deadeye with 25 rounds and others can shoot a case and still be inept. The concept of "qualification" (ie. demonstrated ability and proficiency) is a better way to assess skills.

·
Registered
46,181 Posts
As many as you want to purchase!

Reactions: Secret Spuk

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts

Sure that is fine but how much live fire are they supplementing?
I'm assuming that you are specifically referring to the 'average' LEO? If so, firearm skill isn't exactly a top priority, IMO. Sure they need to carry them because they are exposing themselves to dangerous situations and they sure couldn't do their job effectively if they were unarmed. That said, most will rarely, if ever, actually fire their weapon. Now special tactical units should train for the scenarios that they would be deployed in, but that's a little different than what I believe is the spirit of your question.

Enough to be proficient. I would imagine that could vary from officer to officer.
^^^agreed^^^

·
Registered
4,279 Posts

QUOTE]

Is my budget unlimited? Who's footing the bill? Do the tax payers need more officers or officer who are better with their gun? Is my agency somewhere that gun battles and violence are the norm, or Mayberry? Many agencies require their officers to qualify yearly and all practice ammo and time comes out of the officers pockets. Some agencies will let you practice as much as you desire and provide all the ammo you desire. Officer can even take ammo home with them to shoot elsewhere. If you require officers to practice you have to allow them to do it on the clock. Can the tax payers handle paying more taxes. In a perfect world I would want officers shooting monthly.

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is my budget unlimited? Who's footing the bill? Do the tax payers need more officers or officer who are better with their gun? Is my agency somewhere that gun battles and violence are the norm, or Mayberry? Many agencies require their officers to qualify yearly and all practice ammo and time comes out of the officers pockets. Some agencies will let you practice as much as you desire and provide all the ammo you desire. Officer can even take ammo home with them to shoot elsewhere. If you require officers to practice you have to allow them to do it on the clock. Can the tax payers handle paying more taxes. In a perfect world I would want officers shooting monthly.
Yes, money is no object and it is for the officers in your neighborhood.

And to make it easy on the taxpayers you can even require them to buy their own ammo if you like.

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've seen plenty of mouth-breathers blow through hundreds of rounds at the range and walk away just as incompetent as they began.

Rather than round count, I'd prefer to see focus on proper training.
Ok, you have given them proper training. Now how much ammo are you going to give them to practice with?

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Yes, money is no object and it is for the officers in your neighborhood.

And to make it easy on the taxpayers you can even require them to buy their own ammo if you like.
Then they are shooting a 30 rounds at the end of every shift. Daily practice is better than weekly practice. Weekly practice is better than monthly practice.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Ok, you have given them proper training. Now how much ammo are you going to give them to practice with?
I want them fresh. More than one box per week. I also would have them on a live range...

·
Banned
2,268 Posts
The flaw in this poll is that range shooting at paper targets does not equal defensive skills. It just makes you good at shooting at paper targets. Sort of like practicing on a punching bag does not give you any skills to fight. It can even be detrimental as I always run across guys who want to learn to shoot defensively and I have to break them of the habit of carefully aiming, getting into a proper stand and concentrating on a target that is not moving. Plus in real life threats come from all directions and not just in front of you. There is also the issue of you moving when you shoot so that you do not present the mirror image of a paper target.

So when you talk about skills do you mean the basics like trigger control and grip? I do not know many gun owners who have a clue about defensive shooting or practiced it. Had a guy carrying a gun in his pocket for a year and he did not even know he could not draw it sitting down until I asked him to try. He shot a lot and was a very accurate shooter. Just had no defensive gun skills at all. :)

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
The SWAT guys here train every week and I'm lucky as a non-sworn consultant I can use the range every week. I have a couple of students you try to train every week with me.

As we saw with the CD case here in Mexifornia, you have 8 patrolmen firing 115 rounds at the two Asian ladies and only hitting them twice. The baggage handler had Torrance police shoot up his truck without hitting him. Now fast forward to the event at the cabin between the patrolman and the SB SWAT they fired 1500 rounds without hitting CD one time! The only bullet in CD was his own! I think Inglewood, CA has a similar event with over a 100 rounds and no hits!

I don't have a good answer, but at least every other week for training and range time!

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The flaw in this poll is that range shooting at paper targets does not equal defensive skills. It just makes you good at shooting at paper targets. Sort of like practicing on a punching bag does not give you any skills to fight. It can even be detrimental as I always run across guys who want to learn to shoot defensively and I have to break them of the habit of carefully aiming, getting into a proper stand and concentrating on a target that is not moving. Plus in real life threats come from all directions and not just in front of you. There is also the issue of you moving when you shoot so that you do not present the mirror image of a paper target.

So when you talk about skills do you mean the basics like trigger control and grip? I do not know many gun owners who have a clue about defensive shooting or practiced it. Had a guy carrying a gun in his pocket for a year and he did not even know he could not draw it sitting down until I asked him to try. He shot a lot and was a very accurate shooter. Just had no defensive gun skills at all. :)
What ever skills you want them to have and maintain. No one ever said it was static, fixed range, known distance paper punching.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts