Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is this........ what SKS can I put a detachable 30 round magazine on? I have heard several different answers from different people. I have been told that I can do it to a pre-ban and I have been told I can't. Some people say that you can't put a 30 on any SKS. So what's the federal law regarding this say?

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
intersting question as mine came with a 30 rounder when i bought it from a gun dealer in 92-93 maybe 94..

As far as i had heard you could put them on a pre ban but take it for whats its worth nothing..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey I\'m so glad to finally see an SKS thread on this forum.:rock: I\'m not sure of the answer to your question, as I keep my SKS stock, but unless you have something with the date of import/purchase of your rifle, how do you prove that it is preban. As a result, I believe the law disallows this, but again check out the sks legal issues over on Survivors SKS Forums for better info.

I found a link for you.

http://www.victorinc.com/SKS-FAQ.html

·
Banned
177 Posts
I\'ve heared of reliability problems with aftermarket mag mods on the SKS. And to get an SKS to jam on anything is pretty impressive.

If you want to put on on however, realize that an SKS you buy was built long before the 89 import ban.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by clubsoda22
I\'ve heared of reliability problems with aftermarket mag mods on the SKS. And to get an SKS to jam on anything is pretty impressive.

If you want to put on on however, realize that an SKS you buy was built long before the 89 import ban.
That\'s what I thought. The SKS was built BEFORE the import ban, so most anything goes. And I have seen a lot of people with 30 rounders on their guns, but of course that doesn\'t mean that there aren\'t a lot of people who are committing crimes and don\'t know it.

As for reliability, I have never seen an SKS jam for any reason, and I have shot them with 30 rounders before. I just never owned one with a 30 before.

Thanks for the feedback guys, and the link.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I never could get those plastic 30 rounders to feed properly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Don\'t have to worry about Pre/Post-Ban anymore!

Remove the pivot pin for the factory fixed mag. IIRC, in unscrews from the port-side. Put pin, w/out mag, back in. The aftermarket 30 rounders \"hook\" over this pin, and are \"rocked\" into locking position.

Been a few years, but I think this is correct. If not, someone please correct me!

·
Registered
115 Posts
becareful folks...

SKS rifles were NOT covered by the AWB. They were banned by Bush senior in 1989 (?). You can only have TWO assualt weapon features on them period!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts