Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like the folks at Skyy Industries are trying to take over the concealed carry market. They have announced a .380 caliber that will go head to head with the Kel-Tec P-3AT and a 9 mm that is aimed directly at the Kel-Tec PF-9. No pictures available yet, but here are the specs.

Model MPX-3 .380 cal
Length = 4.75
Height = 3.45
Width = .75
Weight = 9oz
Trigger - DAO - double strike capability - same smooth, comfortable action as our CPX-1
Capacity 6+1
Comes with 2 magazines and our custom child resistant trigger guard lock
Stainless steel slide and barrel
Color Configuration - Black or Two-Tone
MSRP $339.00

Model MPX-9 9mm
Length = 5.3
Height = 3.65
Width = .80
Weight = 12oz
Trigger - double strike capability - same smooth, comfortable action as our CPX-1
Capacity 6+1
Comes with 2 magazines and our custom child resistant trigger guard lock
Stainless steel slide and barrel
Color Configuration - Black or Two-Tone
MSRP $389.00

Things are getting interesting:yup:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Sounds interesting. I've never seen a Sky before that I know of. But I'd like to see anything else in KT's size range cause I'm not too impressed with KT's P3AT.

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
If they seem to be reliable and small enough , I will be intrested in a 9mm. Steel framed ?

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There have been several threads over the last few weeks discussing the CPX-1 and that Skyy might be targeting Kel-Tec. On of the officers VP I think pulled a stupid move and went on KTOG pretending to be an ordinary user thus creating some ill will. But the people here on this forum who have the Skyys seem to be very impressed with them. I have not seen one myself yet, but I went to the website tonight to gather some info since I am going to a gun show Saturday. The two new for summer pistols were listed so I took a look. It again seems that Kel-Tec is the outfit that they are targeting.

·
Administrator
143,579 Posts
They Sure Are Keeping Them Under Wraps

Not one single solitary photo on the web that I can swipe for you guys! :biggrin2:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I shall be watching with some interest, tho heaven knows I don't ''need'' another gun :wink:

·
Registered
129 Posts
QKShooter said:
Not one single solitary photo on the web that I can swipe for you guys! :biggrin2:
I don't think it's coincidence that they announced their flat-9 just days after Kel-Tec did at the SHOT show. And I don't think it's coincidence that there's no pictures out yet. IMO they're just playing catch-up and trying not to lose market share while they hurriedly reverse engineer another Kel-Tec :D

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What I find funny is that Kel-Tec has a new website and it contains no info on the PF-9. It doesn't even mention it. The photos posted on KTOG have disappeared as well. KTOG has a link to the old site so you can find info and see the photos. Is Kel-Tec trying to hide PF-9 from Skyy until after Tulsa?

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
If anybody could make a 9mm in the size of the Kel-Tec P3AT. Then keep the price at around $250.00 like the P11/P3AT they would have the market. Yes I know Rohrbaugh Firearms has a 9mm the same size as the P3AT, but the price is over $900.00.

·
Registered
932 Posts
dr_cmg said:
What I find funny is that Kel-Tec has a new website and it contains no info on the PF-9. It doesn't even mention it. The photos posted on KTOG have disappeared as well. KTOG has a link to the old site so you can find info and see the photos. Is Kel-Tec trying to hide PF-9 from Skyy until after Tulsa?
It's possible, though I really doubt it would matter one way or the other. There are only so many ways to build a gun and anything else could reasonably be said is a knockoff of the original. Almost all modern guns are variations on some older model. Every revolver and semi-auto pistol now built is based on a Colt of one design or another, the same way all modern bolt-action rifles can trace their roots to Mauser. As for SKYY's guns being clones of Kel-Tec's guns, K-T's themselves are a variation of an earlier pistol. K-T's president also designed the Grendal before he started K-T, which was an improvement on another gun, and the family resemblance is obvious.

If SKYY is targeting K-T, it may work to our (the consumers) advantage. With competition comes innovation and usually a better, cheaper product for the customer. It also means the consumer has a choice rather than being limited to a single product. A monopoly means the manufacturer charges what it wants, produces what it wants and has no incentive to change or improve. Just because Ford built the first cars here in the U.S, does that mean there should be no other automobiles? You may like GM and I may prefer Chrysler. They are all basically the same, but there are some differences that make us like one more then the other. Also, being first doesn't always mean the best. Look at what happened to Colt and it's production of handguns in the past decade and now Winchester is all but shutting down it's production of guns in the U.S.

Anyway, SKYY's new models will be released about the same time as the new K-T's. It looks like what it will come down to is which company offers the best gun at the best price and then follows up with a good service/warranty program. SKYY is the new guy on the block, but so was K-T 10 years ago. The one that does the best job of providing what their customer want will get the most business and we, the consumer, will come out the better for it. I'm all for brand loyalty, but honestly, when was the last time you heard of a company placing customer concerns and wishes ahead of the bottom line and a positive cash flow?

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To answer my own question, I don't think it likely either. But OTOH, having watched the computer hardware and software industries for the last twenty or so years I have seen companies like Microsoft, Apple and IBM do stranger things.

What I say is "Go Skyy!" I like competition and I really need a light, easily concealed, inexpensive 9mm. A .380 that is almost as small as the Kel-Tec P-3AT and has no function problems would be nice as well. :congrats:

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sixgun said:
Go to k-ts web site and in the news section you will find links to pics on there new gun
Hey Sixgun, that was added after 9:20 pm CST last night. I pulled up the website and refreshed it just before posting that it wasn't there. I first noticed that the website had changed on Tuesday night after fed wif a sig posted about dealers taking orders. I tried to find the info on the new site but could not. I then went to KTOG and found a thread called "Where did it go?" dated 3/4/06 where a member asked where to find the PF-9 on the new website. He was told that the new site was not finished and that the info would show up. Another member gave the URL for the page on the old site so that he could get to the info right away. I would have thought that if you had a new product coming out you would make sure that it showed up on the new website as soon as it was up, but obviously the Kel-Tec people did not see it that way.

I'm glad that the info is there now, but I am really interested in seeing the new Skyy pistols. I will get my first opportunity to see and handle a Skyy tomorrow.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Anyone know if the reset on the Skyy's are as long as the KT's? I like my KT when I had it (.40) but the trigger reset was way to long. When I was doing double taps I wouldn't let the trigger reset all the way (trying for a fast follow-up shot) and I would then have a dead trigger.

I emailed KT about it but they weren't interested in my input on the matter so I sold the one that I had.

Wayne

*not bashing KT, loved the pistol but not that one flaw and I couldn't "get over it" since it was one of my primary CCW's.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I own a K-T and a SKYY. The trigger reset is about the same on both guns. In fact, the SKYY's might even be a bit longer than the K-T, but the CPX trigger is much smoother and more even through the entire length of pull than the K-T trigger. It also seems to have a lighter trigger pull weight than the K-T. That may be one reason the SKYY has an external safety and the K-T doesn't. That also might be an illusion, however, due to the smoother trigger on the SKYY making it feel lighter than it is.

·
Registered
129 Posts
dr_cmg said:
What I find funny is that Kel-Tec has a new website and it contains no info on the PF-9. It doesn't even mention it.
It's still there, go to the "news" link from the main page. I bet it's not listed under "products" because it's not shipping yet.

Also, I think Skyy is going after the California market. You can't sell KTs there because they don't have a safety, and a lot of people want them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts